Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Recommend a device in the UK for under £150

I've been thinking for some time that I'd like to buy an e-book reader if they came down in price enough. A while ago I discovered that Android tablets are now available for around £100, which is about my budget, and I started to think that I'd buy one of those.

However, I'm now starting to think that a dedicated reader would be better, partly because of battery life (tablets seem to have a battery life of a few hours).

My budget is about £100-£150. From what I can tell, I could get a Kindle Wifi for £109 (I don't care about 3G), but I haven't been able to find any others in my price range. I thought the Nook was within my budget, but I don't seem to be able to find one for sale in the UK.

Are there any other e-book readers available in the UK for under £150? If so, how do they compare to the Kindle?

Thanks for any advice.

Russ
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry for replying to my own post, but I've just remembered something that I'd intended to ask about the Kindle.

I'm interested in some of the features that are listed as "experimental". Assuming I get a Kindle, will I be able to get updates for the software? If so, how?
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think the Kindle is your best bet. Software updates are delivered "over the air" - ie, via your WiFi connection if you buy a WiFi Kindle. Personally I think it's worth paying the extra for the 3G, but that's just me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
abigsmurf
Enthusiast
abigsmurf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
WHSmiths.co.uk have a decent range of ereaders for between £99-£150.

I would say that the Kindle is likely the best you can for the money. £150 for the new 5" sony isn't too bad though, pearl screen + incredibly compact + better format support.
abigsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally I think it's worth paying the extra for the 3G, but that's just me.
Mind if I ask why? I'm not expecting to get a lot of use out of the browser, so I figured the main use for 3G would be buying books. I don't expect to buy many from Amazon because I don't like DRM. All that said, I'm entirely new to e-book readers, so have no prior experience to base judgements on, so I'd be interested to hear your reasons for thinking it's worth the extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abigsmurf View Post
WHSmiths.co.uk have a decent range of ereaders for between £99-£150.

I would say that the Kindle is likely the best you can for the money. £150 for the new 5" sony isn't too bad though, pearl screen + incredibly compact + better format support.
Thanks for that. I hadn't realised WH Smiths sold e-book readers. I suspect I'd find a 5" screen a bit too small, so I think I'll be looking for a 6" device. I'm open to being convinced otherwise, though.

Russ
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Waterstones also sell Ereaders. If you want to have a look at the readers and see how they feel you should go to your nearest Sony or big bookseller store as they have them out to play with. I like the look of the kindle for the price against the sony but can see how I can see one "in the flesh" before buying.
I have the PRS600 and have been really happy with that
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
Mind if I ask why?
I rather like being able to access my email on a reasonably large screen. I also like being able to just download a book (usually the free ones) with just a click. Most people like the idea of being able to look up a word in the dictionary - I also like the capability of looking something up on wikipedia with just another click. I suppose I could of replied to this post using the kindle while sitting on a beach somewhere but that would of been laying it on a bit thick.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
Waterstones also sell Ereaders. If you want to have a look at the readers and see how they feel you should go to your nearest Sony or big bookseller store as they have them out to play with. I like the look of the kindle for the price against the sony but can see how I can see one "in the flesh" before buying.
I have the PRS600 and have been really happy with that
I've seen a Sony in the flesh. I'm not sure what model it was, but I at least now have some idea of what an e-ink screen is like to read. There's a Waterstones in town, so I'll have to see if I can get in there at some point to have a look at theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
I rather like being able to access my email on a reasonably large screen. I also like being able to just download a book (usually the free ones) with just a click. Most people like the idea of being able to look up a word in the dictionary - I also like the capability of looking something up on wikipedia with just another click. I suppose I could of replied to this post using the kindle while sitting on a beach somewhere but that would of been laying it on a bit thick.
Thanks for that. Not having had one before, I don't have any experience to know how I'll want to use it, which is why I asked why 3G was worth the money.

I had assumed the dictionary would be installed, and so wouldn't need internet access, is that not the case?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The dictionary is installed, but when you highlight a word the K3 also gives you the option of looking it up in Wikipedia.

Amazon is generally the cheapest source of ebooks (although obviously you can download nicely formatted versions of the classics right here at MR), and its DRM is trivial to remove.

Why did I buy the 3G version? Because, although the browser isn't great, it's certainly adequate, and to have access to sites like Wiki anywhere is, for me, extremely useful.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:53 AM   #10
avantman42
Wizard

Quote:
Why did I buy the 3G version? Because, although the browser isn't great, it's certainly adequate, and to have access to sites like Wiki anywhere is, for me, extremely useful.
Fair enough. As I say, I wasn't expecting to use/need 3G much, but I'm starting to think the extra £40 might be worth it after all. When I first looked at Kindles, I didn't realise they had a browser, and just thought the 3G would be used for buying books.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
avantman42
Wizard

Thanks for all the advice. I've ordered a 3G Kindle, now I just have to be patient and wait for it to arrive
Old 09-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #12
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
The dictionary is installed, but when you highlight a word the K3 also gives you the option of looking it up in Wikipedia.

Amazon is generally the cheapest source of ebooks (although obviously you can download nicely formatted versions of the classics right here at MR), and its DRM is trivial to remove.

When using 3G web browsing is there any limits as to what web pages you can visit.

can i surf the net or is that restricted to WI-Fi only ??
can i access email via 3G ??

I have a kindle 3 wi-fi for a few days of testing until i shipped it to my girlfriend in hong kong although i could not test the web browsing as my wi-fi was not working on my broadband router.

darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:58 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

In the UK, web browsing via 3G is not restricted - you can visit any site. Simple text sites work best with the Kindle's browser. There's no mail client, but you can use webmail, provided it works within the limitations of the browser (eg the browser doesn't support multiple windows, so any webmail system that uses a popup window to compose a mail message won't work.)