Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-26-2008, 11:25 PM   #16
Pirivan
Pirivan began at the beginning.

Device: asd
Aye, that is why I was thinking of a device like the Archos 7 I linked above. It's certainly like a UMPC though not quite in that category, definitely not any sort of dedicated e-book reader.The problem I kept running into with UMPC's is that they seemed like they had too small of a screen/too low of a resolution for the purpose I had intended, especially given the price point they seem to be hitting.

I have also considered a laptop but it just doesn't seem like that would truly be comfortable to use/hold like a book for extended periods. Now a laptop with a foldable display that is a touch-screen, that might work..
Pirivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirivan View Post
I have also considered a laptop but it just doesn't seem like that would truly be comfortable to use/hold like a book for extended periods. Now a laptop with a foldable display that is a touch-screen, that might work..
Yeah, I could go for one of those! As far as delivery, so far the best example of a magazine delivery system I've seen is Zinio. It is flash-based, so that limits it to laptops, UMPCs and PDAs (with enough chops). But it displays well, allows you to zoom into portions of the screen, you can download and save the mags on your hard drive for access anytime, and is full-color. I'm checking out a few mags on it now, and it makes for easy reading when on-the-go.

Now, if simpler readers could run the Zinio app, or something similar, and download from the web (possibly wirelessly), that would make a great device.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, Have you considered using something like the Nokia Internet Tablets n800/n810.
They aren't that expensive, between $200 to $400.

There is a app called Evince Document Viewer available for it that appears to support CBR & CBZ files.

I haven't tried it personally yet as my N800 hasn't arrived yet, but will update when I get the chance.

Can someone who has one of these tablets comment on on its usability when viewing comics.

Edit:
my horrible spelling strikes again.

Last edited by bbusybookworm; 08-27-2008 at 06:32 PM.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I read a lot of comics on my Fujitsu Stylistic 4110 Tablet PC --- works quite nicely in full-screen mode using the hardware buttons for page turns --- the only glitch are two-page splash pages.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:49 AM   #20
Pirivan
Pirivan began at the beginning.

Device: asd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Hmm, Have you considered using something like the Nokia Internet Tablets n800/n810.
They aren't that expensive, between $200 to $400.

There is a app called Evince Document Viewer available for it that appears to support CBR & CBZ files.

I haven't tried it personally yet as my N800 hasn't arrived yet, but will update when I get the chance.

Can someone who has one of these tablets comment on on its usability when viewing comics.

Edit:
my horrible spelling strikes again.
I looked SERIOUSLY at an N810 for this exact reason. I loved that it ran Linux and resolution seemed decent. But I backed off at the last moment because it just seemed like the screen was just too small for this purpose; the issue I had with my DS. That is when I moved to focusing on an 8" display or so.

As for an older tablet, might be a good possibility if I can find one that works well for a decent deal.
Pirivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #21
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I have an old mini-tablet in storage (Amity CP) that might suit your needs. I'd sell it to you cheap. Let me look tonight and see if I can find it. Or you could check http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com for more recommendations in this area.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #22
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Well, Here's an update on using my Nokia n800 for reading Comics and graphic novels.

Using Evince to read CBZ files has been a snap so far, and the ability to zoom in or out, or to orient it in Landscape or portrait format is really nice.

While the screen is small, it should not be a problem for most people, and unless the whole page is one big panel, there is no problem in reading and comprehending.

I would like a little bit more fine control over the zoom function at times. I admit the iPhone/iPod Touch's zoom function is superior over this.

Still have to try it out with a pdf comic book. will try that out in the next day or so.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #23
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Most "western" comics and graphics novels are standard 8.5x11 page size, and since they are currently designed to be read in printed copy, often they contain 2-page panel designs, where the spread moves across two pages and then down (or in a big circle or any number on non-sequential layouts). Reading *.cbrs on even a 17" laptop can be frustrating.

Pretty much the point of reading comics/graphic novels is the interplay of story and art, and having to zoom around to see all of the art and figure out what the order is would just about kill the fun for me. Unless a comic has been designed to be read on a small screen or in absolute sequential panel-by-panel format, I'd pass on reading it on anything smaller than a larger screen.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #24
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I thought the DS Lite solution, showing the whole panel on one screen and a zoom on the other, sounded like a good compromise.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #25
brennivin
brennivin began at the beginning.

Device: Augen - The Book, Coby Kyros MID7015
a large part of my mobile device purchase decision is based on the ability to read comics. And there are a couple specs I've found are key.

1 - color
2 - 7" or larger
3 - ability to display images

That's it really. I got 'The Book' by Augen, and it worked fairly well. The text was sometimes rough, but ultimately I never had a problem reading any comics on it. Just rename the CBZ or CBR's to ZIP or RAR, and unzip. Voila - pile of JPGs ready for viewing on your device.

I've recently gone the way of Android tablets (Pocketbook IQ, looking into the Coby MID7015), still 7", and the screens are even easier to read comics on, and there are plenty of Android apps that can read CBZ and CBR files so you don't even have to unzip 'em.

The only issue I've had with a 7" screen is for double spread pages scanned as a single image. In which case I zoom, or unzip the file, and cut the image into two.
brennivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #26
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I think you're overlooking Android tablets which might do the trick. What about trying something like the Viewsonic Viewpad 10 or one of the P10AN010 clones out there (Advent Vega, Point of View Mobii)? It's true that it's got a wide screen format (of 10 inches), but one can read manga and comics quite fine on them, and there is a LOT of software for the task. Plus, the device has a good price!

*edit* LOL at Thread necromancy.

Last edited by Logseman; 03-24-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #27
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
We're all waiting for this elusive device Steve. It is true tablets are here but their computing power make them energy wasteful. One tablet with less speed should exist for static display, not all users have to use it as a web, video or any other active animation display. Just as not every car has to be a racing machine. This machine will be sooner than we think in a color eink format, and I firmly believe that Europe will see to it's birth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennivin View Post
a large part of my mobile device purchase decision is based on the ability to read comics. And there are a couple specs I've found are key.

1 - color
2 - 7" or larger
3 - ability to display images

That's it really. I got 'The Book' by Augen, and it worked fairly well. The text was sometimes rough, but ultimately I never had a problem reading any comics on it. Just rename the CBZ or CBR's to ZIP or RAR, and unzip. Voila - pile of JPGs ready for viewing on your device.

I've recently gone the way of Android tablets (Pocketbook IQ, looking into the Coby MID7015), still 7", and the screens are even easier to read comics on, and there are plenty of Android apps that can read CBZ and CBR files so you don't even have to unzip 'em.

The only issue I've had with a 7" screen is for double spread pages scanned as a single image. In which case I zoom, or unzip the file, and cut the image into two.
Where did you dig out this thread?

All I'll say is that the best comic reader is the iPad, as of this date...
That's what I use and it does a brilliant job, whatever Apple haters say.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #28
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Asus T91mt works great for comics

I've had great success using my Asus T91mt with comics (tons of windows 7 compatible software like Comic Rack). It has an 8.9 inch touchscreen, pinch to zoom, relatively small weight, dual SD Card slots, 2gb of ram, and wakes from sleep instantly.

This is sort of a shameless plug since I need to sell mine now (I listed it in the Flea Market forum here for $250).
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #29
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
My boyfriend recently bought a Dell Inspiron Duo, and I've been fairly impressed with it. It has a responsive touchscreen, and an impressive display. The battery life seems to be very good for a $500 netbook/tablet (about 5 hours of web use, I imagine that by turning down the screen brightness and turning off the wireless you could push that higher). It will also automatically rotate the screen for whatever orientation you hold it in, so it may work quite well as a comic book reader. I also rather like the conversion mechanism... it looks like it would be flimsy, but it isn't subjected to the same torque that most convertible tablets get, so it should be more durable overall.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #30
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Putting aside mere cost, wouldn't a Galaxy Tab or the upcoming Blackberry Placybook work for you?
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote