Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
Pusadee
Pusadee began at the beginning.

Device: ipad2
why number of pages in epub is 2 times of pades in pdf

I use pdf file = 12 pages and i save it in jpeg(12 Files).
And zip 12 jpeg file
Then use calibre to epub file
epub output file will have 25 pages
Pusadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
I'm going to assume that the font size and the line spacing and character spacing are the same in both files. (If they are different, that could certainly add to the difference in page numbers.) If they are the same: the pdf page breaks are set by the creator of the pdf. Many pdf readers are not reflowable, so they will simply shrink or enlarge that page to make it fit on the screen. The page, however, will have the same number of lines and will break in the same place no matter the screen size of your device.

Epub, on the other hand, uses a set page size. I'm not sure if it's the number of lines or number of characters that is used to determine that size. It creates page breaks where needed so as not to go over that page size limit. This is most likely what is increasing your page count.

This is the way I understand it. I invite anyone to add their thoughts if what I've said is inaccurate.

Last edited by Mikou; 05-23-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Clarification & spelling correction
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I have never tried to do this, but I assume that Calibre adds a page break after each jpeg file. But if the jpeg already fills the page, the page break is on the next page. So you have:

image (page 1)
page break (page 2)
image (page 3)
page break (page 4)
etc

You should probably ask your question in the Calibre forum to get more useful answers.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
Sorry. While formulating my reply, I forgot that you said you were working with jpeg images. FlorenceArt's post sounds right.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote