Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Two 505s loaded on one computer?

So I just one a 505 on ebay (WHEW! Now I can stop worrying about this!) and I have a couple questions.

I'm assuming I'll be allowed to authorize it to my computer and load books I've already purchased to my new reader? I'm still kind of confused about the format change and what that will do to books I've bought from the sony store in the past. Will I need to re-install the software for the "new" 505? Luckily my lightwedge is still in good condition, so even though this comes with a tan case, I can still use my lightwedge. Can't wait to start reading again. Of course, I won't feel 100% assured until I have that 505 in my hands with all my books downloaded.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1010 View Post
Will I need to re-install the software for the "new" 505?
Kelly, No, the software will allow multiple readers to be authorized. Just be sure you handle them from the same account.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
From memory, I think you're allowed up to 6 devices per account, 1 of which has to be a PC, so no worries unless you're already registered 5 devices other than the other reader!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
From memory, I think you're allowed up to 6 devices per account, 1 of which has to be a PC, so no worries unless you're already registered 5 devices other than the other reader!
That's correct. I have 2 505s and 2 PCs registered to the same account and have no problem loading books from the Sony store onto all of the devices.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Good to know! Thanks everyone. My new 505 was shipped out today. I can't wait to get it.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
That's 6 computers and 6 readers. Computer and "tethered" device activations are tracked seperately.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
That's 6 computers and 6 readers. Computer and "tethered" device activations are tracked seperately.
Thanks for the correction - do you happen to know if it used to be otherwise, as otherwise I've no idea where the "at least 1" part came from?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems
NO! The 6 "devices" that can be associated with a single Sony ebook account include BOTH Readers AND PCs. So you can have 2 PCs and 4 Readers, or 5 Readers and 1 PC, but NOT something like 4 Readers and 4 PCs (which totals 8 devices). Computers and Readers are NOT counted separately when calculating the limit for a single account; they both count as "devices" subject to the limit of 6 in total. This has always been the Sony account policy, and it has not changed.

From Sony's website: "The eBook Store from Sony allows up to six devices to be registered to one account. This means that multiple computers and Readers can be authorized to a single account as long as the total number of Readers and computers does not exceed six."

Please don't post misinformation here.

Last edited by DrMoze; 12-16-2009 at 11:46 PM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
From Sony's website: "The eBook Store from Sony allows up to six devices to be registered to one account. This means that multiple computers and Readers can be authorized to a single account as long as the total number of Readers and computers does not exceed six."

As I suggested, it might have changed - the Reader Store help for "How many devices can I authorize with my account?" here does say "You are allowed to authorize up to six computers (via Reader Library) and up to six portable devices (via USB and/or wireless)."
Old 12-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
jharrison
jharrison began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch; iPad
We have three PC's, a laptop, and three Sony 505's connected to our account. After Christmas, we will have an addit'l laptop and 505 added. (I have a large family with many readers.) I am pretty sure when we first connected to the Sony Store awhile ago, it was a total of six so we really appreciate Sony's policy of 6 computers and 6 devices now.
jharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
OK, that is news to me, and quite interesting. (And also inconsistent with the info on other parts of Sony's site.) I take back my comment above--it appears they may have increased the number of devices allowed on an account. That's a bit surprising (6 Readers and 6 computers is a lot for sharing an account), but it's all good, I guess.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
NO! ....

I understand where you are confused. For the protected BBeB (.lrx) files that Sony was selling, Sony controlled your activation count and the rules from the Sony store are correct.

However Sony just completely switched over to using the Adobe DRM system for all new books that they sell (which are now in ePub format), and for that Adobe controls the activation count, and they are (as the Sony website now states thanks Gwyn) 6 Computers AND 6 devices.

--
Jim Lester
Adobe Systems

Last edited by Jim Lester; 12-17-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: updated to reflect Gwyn's input.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #13
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I've just purchased a used 505 off of Ebay. I don't know if the previous owner de-activated the reader before shipping it. If not, how big of a hassle will I have trying to get it added to my account?
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger-j3 View Post
I've just purchased a used 505 off of Ebay. I don't know if the previous owner de-activated the reader before shipping it. If not, how big of a hassle will I have trying to get it added to my account?
None at all. If it has not been deactivated, just give Sony a call and they can sort it for you.

Quote:
You can also call us at 877-263-2863 during the hours of:

9:00am - 11pm, EST; Monday - Friday and 11:00am - 6:00pm EST; Saturday and Sunday
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #15
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
THANKS!!! UPS says it will be here Tuesday.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote