Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #631
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
With a custom compact font installed on my PW I bet I have the same number of words per page displayed and it looks far better.
Is there any reason to believe that loading your custom compact font on the Kobo wouldn't also improve the display for you?

Quote:
And why should one have to manually edit every epub to improve formatting?
I've owned 3 different brands of epub ereader (4 if you include my android phone) and I've had to do this on all of them. I say 'had to', I suppose I mean 'chosen to'. Admittedly, some have had hacks available to make it easier depending on what needs changing. No epub device I've used has had built-in adjustable widow/orphan control.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #632
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
What's the point of a larger display when such a large amount of blank space is left at the bottom?
From another thread...

Quote:
... I know people complain about the bottom space, but I did a comparison of two pages set up exactly the same way on the Glo and the Aura. I found that the Aura displayed 4 more physical lines of text, but 8 additional lines worth of content (that is, four lines that were on the next page on the Glo appeared on the original page of the Aura).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #633
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
From another thread...
Hi John! I agree with you and it is true (from several posts in the Kobo reader threads) that the Aura has substantially more text per page, however I believe that what Taming said in the Kobo reader impressions thread is that 8 (not 4) lines from the next page of the Glo were on the original page of the Aura. That's a major difference regardless of any white space left...

Edit: This is a calculation posted within the Kobo threads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Hm. 8 more lines. (Assuming you mean 8 more Glo-length lines.) If I take my Kindle as an example, assuming the Kobo can display roughly the same amount of text, that would mean 8 x 48 = 384 extra characters. It now displays 29 x 48 = 1392 chars.

The Aura therefore displays 1.2759 times more (27.59% extra) characters than the Glo. This is fairly close to the maximum of 28.44%, which is the extra physical space the Aura has as compared to three Glo.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 04-27-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Comparison of number of characters per screen
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #634
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
OK, I did widows and orphans set to zero and it's definitely better (got two more lines of text) than the variable space. Attached are before and afters of the same page (sorry for the cruddy pics). I assume the still pretty large space in the after pic is what I have to learn to live with?

Thanks a lot! This is one of the things which goes against my trying to find a way of ordering Aura from India. Apart from epub/kepub etc.
I guess Kindle is the best solution for me for now
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #635
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
Good sales of this product will cause competition to launch a product with same screen size and resolution. Then we both shall buy the product which doesn't leave blank space at the bottom.So i support this product with my soul
Or else Kobo benefited from being the first to use a screen that will become standard for other devices regardless of our support.

Quote:
If everyone complains about [excessive space at the bottom of the screen] to Kobo then they might rectify it in their firmware update
I'm hoping you're right about that. I'm also hoping that lots of other Aura owners will support that complaint and will recognize the difference between negative carping and focusing on an issue that can be fixed relatively easily.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-27-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #636
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I agree that the amount of space at the bottom of the Aura's screen is excessive. Since I am new to Kobo, what is the best way to put in my request to Kobo that this get fixed? I bought the Aura in part because of the larger screen, but the screen real estate is not being used very efficiently, in my opinion.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #637
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
Since I am new to Kobo, what is the best way to put in my request to Kobo that this get fixed? I bought the Aura in part because of the larger screen, but the screen real estate is not being used very efficiently, in my opinion.
I, too, am new to Kobo, but if I experience the same issue when I receive the Aura, I intend to start a thread about it in the Kobo forums or contribute to a preexisting one if it exists. I will also post to a generic complaint thread about issues with Kobo's firmware, again, if such a thread exists. Then I will contact Kobo's customer service by email and by phone and direct them to those threads, since at least one Kobo rep frequents this site.

I intend to be polite, not use all caps and not rail bitterly in Kobo's general direction. But if the issue truly compels me to consider returning the Aura and not buying a future Kobo product, then I'll say that, too -- as long as it's the truth and not an empty threat.

Whether I keep the Aura or not, it looks as though I'm going to have learn a lot more about CSS to do the screen justice.

If there are better ways to go about this, I hope veteran Kobo users will say so here.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #638
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
While I did receive an email that Kobo has MAILED the Aura HD I ordered, I do not yet
own one, so I can't speak to what I know works, yet.

I have found that most programs that allow for the manipulation of an ebook's format
and display, provide the ability to use (often also create) an output profile were you
will have (or can specify) most such display characteristics. Once you have these
profiles made, with your requirements delineated, it can be a simple process to run the
file through such a program and have the ebook display the way you want it to.

I run all my ebook purchases through calibre with the output profile set for my ereader
even if it can already be read in my device. Since calibre allows you to easily select a
different output profile, I expect that I will be able to change to one for the Aura HD
whenever I need it.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #639
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I, too, am new to Kobo, but if I experience the same issue when I receive the Aura, I intend to start a thread about it in the Kobo forums or contribute to a preexisting one if it exists. I will also post to a generic complaint thread about issues with Kobo's firmware, again, if such a thread exists. Then I will contact Kobo's customer service by email and by phone and direct them to those threads, since at least one Kobo rep frequents this site.

I intend to be polite, not use all caps and not rail bitterly in Kobo's general direction. But if the issue truly compels me to consider returning the Aura and not buying a future Kobo product, then I'll say that, too -- as long as it's the truth and not an empty threat.

Whether I keep the Aura or not, it looks as though I'm going to have learn a lot more about CSS to do the screen justice.

If there are better ways to go about this, I hope veteran Kobo users will say so here.
Have you complained about this isssue to Sony as well?

My T1 and 300 have slightly over 1 cm. of 'wasted' space where they display the line number, and a slightly wider margin at the top.

I really didn't notice this for several years and I still can't say it offends me, although proportionately Sony may waste more space.

Not surprising I guess as many of my non-fiction paper backs are far more inconsistent in lines per page, and have far more wasted margin space, and I did not notice that either until this became such a uniquelly Kobo issue.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #640
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Not surprising I guess as many of my non-fiction paper backs are far more inconsistent in lines per page, and have far more wasted margin space, and I did not notice that either until this became such a uniquelly Kobo issue.

Helen
A Paper book is made up of Signatures'.
If the word count forces an overflow into a new Signature, the book designer probably spreads things out a bit so there are not a lot of blank pages.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #641
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
It is actually a rather minor thing. I would suggest setting that issue aside and trying to actually enjoy the device. (Well, the widow/orphan bit isn't so minor. But the extra space that's left open for the toolbar is.)
Believe me I'm working on it , and I'm making more of it than I would since I'm in reviewer mode, not user mode (yet) so I'm trying to understand all of the devices quirks in a fairly short amount of time and most people who will read the review aren't people who are going to want to tweak their ePub's for the widows and orphans deal for instance.

I'm trying to get all the info I can in a short time so that it can be a balanced review. I haven't even mentioned the 'normal' bottom space in my review so far as I figure people reading can tell from the accompanying photos if it's a big deal for them or not. It's not as big a deal for me as it might seem as you'd probably only get one (maybe two if you really squeezed things) more lines of text on the screen, I started out just making sure it was 'normal' and not something specific to the ePub's I'm using and probably started over-thinking it. However a quirk that causes large amounts of excess empty space on the page are worth at least a passing mention.

From a user end. Is there a way to edit something on the Kobo to tell it widows 0 orphans 0 for all ePubs (so I don't have to tweak every book)?

Now another question. The main ePub I'm using has line spacing set in the CSS to 1.2 and it reads fine that way for me, but with the line spacing set in the CSS the Kobo's adjustment options don't do anything (up or down). Is this right? It won't override line spacing if something's set? I'm sure it's already been covered, but I can't find it and want to make sure I'm correct. Note, this isn't a complaint (if seem to have been doing that too much ), just me making sure I have things right.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 04-27-2013 at 01:56 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #642
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
A Paper book is made up of Signatures'.
If the word count forces an overflow into a new Signature, the book designer probably spreads things out a bit so there are not a lot of blank pages.
Yes. Keep in mind that many printers will also run half signatures too. For the books I'm responsible for where I work (not trad fin/non fic type books) we run standard 16 page signatures on a hot web press, but our printer will do a half sig of 8 pages if we need it.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #643
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Now another question. The main ePub I'm using has line spacing set in the CSS to 1.2 and it reads fine that way for me, but with the line spacing set in the CSS the Kobo's adjustment options don't do anything (up or down). Is this right? It won't override line spacing if something's set?
It's more complex than that, due to css in general rather than a Kobo-specific problem.
1. If an epub has set line-height only in body {...}, or not at all, then the Kobo will overwrite with its Line Spacing slider setting.
2. If an epub has set line-height in a body class, e.g. body.calibre {...} or .calibre {...} then the Kobo will honour the epub and the Kobo cannot adjust line spacing up/down.
3. If an epub has set line-height lower than body, e.g. p, div, blockquote, h1, ... etc, then see 2. In this case it will be only the relevant portions of text which the Kobo cannot adjust line spacing for.

However, if you are fairly happy with line-height:1.2, then there is a much simpler way. You can text edit the Kobo config file to have line spacing=1.225 (it's not much bigger than 1.2 ) You can type a lower number but davidfor reliably informs us that 1.225 is the lowest value Kobo will use. Having done that you need to make sure you never touch the Line Spacing slider again or the config file will automatically reset to the line spacing value you just accidentally touched (min 1.3).

Clear as mud? All this info is based on using a Kobo Glo for the last 6 months. It's possible the AuraHD is different. I won't know till next week (hopefully).
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #644
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Thanks Jackie.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #645
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
not sure whether it is a better way, but you can all try and point things out here:
https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo
paola is offline   Reply With Quote