Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #121
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Too funny....I sure don't. Some shadows, yes. They don't annoy me. I just adjust the level til it's where I am comfortable.
That's great that you don't see it. Like I said, that's really all that matters.

For myself, I'm going back to thinking they all have it again. If everyone took a bunch of pics in different lighting, I think my eyes would see it on all of them at some point. I have some very slight pink on my replacement, but it's not enough to make me return it. Sometimes I don't see it at all, and then other times I do.

All in all, I'm fairly happy with my replacement, as I like it better than using a clip on light, but I'm still bothered that they have this problem at all.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #122
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Today on the PW web site at Amazon 53 reviewers (one star voters) swear they see color blobs on their originals and on their replacements but 221 (5 star voters) can't see them at all and love their PW's.

I'm one of those 221. It appears most of the posters here are part of the 53.

Its like the flying saucer debates in the 1950's. Millions THOUGHT they saw flying saucers and some even submitted photos of them. However, hundreds of millions never saw them.

Some have already gone through 3 or more replacements and see color blobs on all. Many said my photos displayed color blobs. I can't see them at all. Yes, if one stares closely with the right lighting condtions, a faint coloring shows in places. For me that is totally irrelevant to the great attributes of the Paperwhite.

When LCD TV's first appeared, many folks went up real close and saw lots of defects in the pixels. They even photographed them. They said the cathode ray tube TV's would never be replaced by all those defective LCD TV's. Guess what, today no one even sells cathode ray TV's.
Because you have cataracts!!!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #123
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heifzilla View Post
Attachment 94126

Attachment 94127

I see no blobs, no pink or blue in my PW. I do see the shadowing at the bottom caused by the LED spacing. Otherwise, my PW is perfect to my eyes.
I can see coloration on yours, pinkish left and bottom left, greenish middle.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #124
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Maybe these are shot at a better angle...
I'll trade you mine for yours. On the pictures, those look good. I can see a faint coloration (mostly green with pink bottom left) but much less than on anything I've seen before. I could live with this one.

Last edited by xendula; 10-15-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #125
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Cataracts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Because you have cataracts!!!!
Is it possible that all those who voted five stars on Amazon had cataracts as well?

Maybe other eye illnesses like nearsigtedness, farsightedness, glaucoma, macular degeneration, astigmatism, color blindness also obscure the color blotches. Most Americans do have one sort of eye problem or another. Maybe color blindness to even a minor extent changes the view from unacceptable to very acceptable.

Its even possible that the QC people in China, who inspect the final output, were never examined by an ophthamologist.

Then, be happy, if you see color blotches, you have great eyes. The rest of us with eye problems now have a compensating benefit: GREAT PAPERWHITES.

Actually, EVERY photo I've seen in this Forum of PW screens show very faint colors. None of them would really bother me. They are simply not that annoying. The official photos I've seen from Amazon at very low light levels show a greenish glow which is more pronounced than any photos I've seen here. However, in that set of 4 photos the high light levels of the same unit cover up even that faint, green glow.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-15-2012 at 12:28 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #126
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
The same thought had entered my mind actually!

And @Bookolver6: your looks good to me too If only I could be guaranteed to have a screen like that, I wouldn't hesitate to get one.
When Amazon ships the Kindle PW to Europe I personally hope they start shipping the first 1000 units to the UK!
After that they can follow up with Germany. I can wait for a couple of months.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #127
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

Its like the flying saucer debates in the 1950's. Millions THOUGHT they saw flying saucers and some even submitted photos of them. However, hundreds of millions never saw them.

Some have already gone through 3 or more replacements and see color blobs on all. Many said my photos displayed color blobs. I can't see them at all. Yes, if one stares closely with the right lighting condtions, a faint coloring shows in places. For me that is totally irrelevant to the great attributes of the Paperwhite.

When LCD TV's first appeared, many folks went up real close and saw lots of defects in the pixels. They even photographed them. They said the cathode ray tube TV's would never be replaced by all those defective LCD TV's. Guess what, today no one even sells cathode ray TV's.
Here's mine. Am I seeing things? Please tell me what you see.

Taken with iPad camera. (Sorry, that's all I got.) Photo unedited but scaled down for sanity. PW light @ 16 in room plenty bright enough to read a normal book in, but a little dark for eink, hence a good test scenario.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo34.JPG
Views:	490
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	94168  
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #128
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
When Amazon ships the Kindle PW to Europe I personally hope they start shipping the first 1000 units to the UK!
After that they can follow up with Germany. I can wait for a couple of months.
Given that I (unfortunately!) seem to notice most of the colour blotches, waiting at the very least until the end of January before even considering putting in an order is probably my best option... Between the ooooh-new-kindle rush and the Xmas presents rush, Amazon are going to be churning them out at a rate of knots, then there's going to be quite a few replacements being shipped I guess... Now of course if the QC minimum standard was something like the units that Booklover6 and BenG have, it wouldn't really be such an issue.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #129
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Please tell me what you see.
Ooooh colours everywhere... Did they send you the nightclub version?!

Edit: what I see is a very large green area in the centre, and some light pink around the green

Last edited by Yolina; 10-15-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #130
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Here are my pictures of my Paperwhite. I got it on October 2d. The first picture is how I usually have the light (at 15) while the second is at full brightness - which I find to be too bright. The picture was taken in my home office with no artificial light on (there's a window to the left - it's a cloudy day at 3:30 pm EST). I took the picture on my iPhone 4S with no flash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350329941.298594.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	94173 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350329967.824915.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	94174

Sometimes, I can see some green or pink. But, I really don't notice any discoloration while reading.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #131
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Barty, your PW looks great to me. I don't see any colors.

Mickey, I think yours looks great, too!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #132
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Taken with iPad camera. (Sorry, that's all I got.) Photo unedited but scaled down for sanity. PW light @ 16 in room plenty bright enough to read a normal book in, but a little dark for eink, hence a good test scenario.
It's best to pose a pic of a book page instead of graphics. It's really hard to to tell from the tutorial page.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #133
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:

I can see ghosting from the previous page, which maybe you can minimize if you set your Kindle to refresh at every page turn?
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #134
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pink tints.

Quote:

I do see faint pink coloring in spots. It certainly would not bother me.

Try boosting the PW light to level 22 and post another picture showing the light scale open. I'm curious if that stronger light would obscure the faint pink areas. In the Amazon official 4 photos the green areas obvious at level 5 PW light totally disappeared at level 24 both in the same dark room. Also, turn on Page Refresh.

I certainly would not call them dark pink color blobs.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #135
sirmaru
Wizard

Brightness obscures the pink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
Here are my pictures of my Paperwhite. I got it on October 2d. The first picture is how I usually have the light (at 15) while the second is at full brightness - which I find to be too bright. The picture was taken in my home office with no artificial light on (there's a window to the left - it's a cloudy day at 3:30 pm EST). I took the picture on my iPhone 4S with no flash.

Attachment 94173 Attachment 94174

Sometimes, I can see some green or pink. But, I really don't notice any discoloration while reading.

Marilyn
The brighter level 24 PW lighting definitely obscures the faint print areas seen in the level 15 PW lighting. Try another photo at level 22 PW.