Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'll believe the contrast when I see it. I'm fairly sure as well that it's just a trick of light.

I made a comparison between Story HD's 768x1024 display and Kindle Non-Touch, by putting both side by side on a flatbet scanner with a black cloth on top. Since the scanner has a uniform light source the result should be "objective" as well. In any case I'd rather trust my own comparison than anything the manufacturer claims.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...2&d=1321187447

If anyone can make something similar for the paperwhite (without light), comparing to old kindle or some other pearl eink reader, that'd be great.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Once someone has a Kindle Paperwhite, I'm sure we'll get some good comparisons.

Yours is very nicely done, and seems to me to show that they're identical in terms of contrast. The only thing that I can think that might make a similar comparison invalid would be very different bezel depths.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #18
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Bezel depth is a good argument, the Story HD is worse off than the Kindle there because in addition to the bezel it has this silver bar thing which stands out a lot. Even so I prefer the scanner comparison to any kind of photograph with a digital camera, as I don't have the equipment to make two separate photos with exactly identical and uniform lighting conditions and without glare... putting it on the scanner and pressing a button was easier.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
putting it on the scanner and pressing a button was easier.
And also, I think a very good comparison.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #20
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I think that the trick is in the light. As we all know sometimes we have the kindle in just the right light and it looks like paper. Other times the light is just a little off and the contrast disappears and the background looks green or grey. I think that the PaperWhite trick is to always give us the well lit surface by generating its own light. As a result it always looks optimal as long as you adjust the light up or down for ambient need.

As long as the battery doesn't drain to quickly I'm fine with that solution.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
In hands on video they were comparing them and said with the light at 0% the background was much whiter than the NST and Kindle Touch. You can find those on YouTube if you go searching.

I am excited because I have seen how much Amazon improved the K4's background and contrast compared to last year's model so I have high expectations for the PW.

I can not began to describe how gorgeous the K4B is. Every time I turn it on I sigh happily because it really is a huge improvement. The off white background and black text are something I always wanted on my eReaders. The K3 came close. The K4S was a step back but this year's models seem to be near perfect. I can't wait to get a PW it will be my birthday present.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #22
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
@binhnt: The Paperwhite may get the same annoying bright spots on the display as the Nook Glowlight gets when the screen surface gets dented. I am getting one mostly so I can test my code on it (not for reading :eek).

Here are some photos of what to expect from a minor light guide surface damage:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...he-new-nooklit

I am hoping that the Kindle Paperwhite has a harder surface and will not have the same problem as the Nook Glowlight. I will treat my Paperwhite with care and respect, just to avoid any possible problems such as that.

Just for reading, the $69 kindle seems like a great deal to me. It is even reported to have a much nicer screen (better quality control?) than the $79 K4. But only you can make that decision.

That is kinda scary. Guess its safe to say that the PWs are cover mandatory.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #23
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
All eink screens really ought to be covered when stored/transported. You don't want to dent any of them.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #24
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
We won't know for sure until somebody decides to test it by dropping their keys from 4 inches onto their Paperwhite display, like some of those who confirmed the "key drop test" results at the linked page. Any volunteers willing to risk their kindle like that?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #25
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
We won't know for sure until somebody decides to test it by dropping their keys from 4 inches onto their Paperwhite display, like some of those who confirmed the "key drop test" results at the linked page. Any volunteers willing to risk their kindle like that?
I tested my nook glow like that. It took the keys falling with the pointy end first to get the damage. A full body case has worked great.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:03 AM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
I tested my nook glow like that. It took the keys falling with the pointy end first to get the damage. A full body case has worked great.
why? Why do something like that unless it was bought for that purpose. There use to be someone here that did buy devices just to test their durability.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:02 AM   #27
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
WOW That kind of a dumb move! Did B&N replace it? Were you honest & told them you ment to do it?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #28
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
I am going to try a bowling ball on my Paperwhite. If I get it before Oct. 1. Otherwise, not.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #29
tstarky
Next mood swing...6 min
tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Fire, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
I am going to try a bowling ball on my Paperwhite. If I get it before Oct. 1. Otherwise, not.
tstarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #30
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I have read a lot of information about the Kindle PaperWhite but some questions remain.

I do not intend to use the included light so will it be 'paperwhite' even if the artificial light is disabled? Does it have an improved eink display or does the higher contrast come from the artificial light?
You can get a pretty good impression in this video (from about 1:00 to 1:10):

Short answer: no, without the light, the background is pretty much comparable to current e-ink readers, not crisp white.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote