Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #13126
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
The Buried Pyramid by Jane Lindskold is on hold right now. I've listened to a couple of freebie books and have just started The Curse of Senmut by Vickie Britton, another freebie from our Deals forum and a just joined MR author. This one is holding my attention, although I'm not far enough in to really know how good it will be.
Spoiler:
Quote:
from amazon:
Outside a small village near the Valley of the Kings, archaeologist Ardis Cole arrives in Egypt to help excavate a tomb recently discovered by her mentor, Jane Darvin. When Jane is murdered, Ardis must assume responsibility for the project.

With the help of mysterious Blake Lydon, she must unravel the tomb’s mystery—an ancient secret concerning two miniature obelisks of gold hidden by Queen Hatshepsut’s love, Senmut, over 2000 years ago.

As Ardis uncovers the ancient mystery, she finds herself drawn into a modern action tale of hatred, murder, and revenge.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #13127
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Colour Scheme" by Ngaio Marsh

Just finished "Colour Scheme", the 12th book in the Inspector Alleyn series. Published in 1943, this book is set in New Zealand (Marsh's native country) and features secret agents, 5th columnists, and everything else one might expect in a story set (and written) in the middle of WWII. It's unusual in that Alleyn doesn't feature very heavily in it - or does he? You'll see what I mean when you read it.

I really enjoyed this one. Well up with Marsh's best, and with very interesting descriptions of Maori life and culture in it, too. Well worth a read.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #13128
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A back-issue of F&SF, September 2005 by Spilogale authors.
Well, that was a really good issue. Mostly, perhaps, because of two really nice short stories by David Gerrold. But the other stories were nearly all above average too.

Next: Flandry's Legacy by Poul Anderson.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #13129
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Currently Reading:

- A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell #2) by Laurie R. King (53%)
Heh I tweeted about how much I was enjoying this book and then saw this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/mary_r...87908516696064

Quote:
Originally Posted by @mary_russell
That case changed my life. I do hope you enjoy the memoir.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #13130
ericws
ericws began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I am currently reading "Cradle of Solitude" in the Rogue Angel Series. Just finished the third book in the Storm of Prophecy Series by Michael von Werner.
ericws is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #13131
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm finishing Executive Power by Vince Flynn.

On an unrelated topic, can you see what people have edited in their posts now?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #13132
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Not sure why a link is showing up instead of the picture but....the book is

The System of the World by Neal Stephenson.

If words are preferred instead of pictures, I will go that route from now on.....i like to see book covers especially since I don't see them on a Kindle!
It is OK to put a cover image. But also please put the title/author as well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #13133
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Kate Shugak Series by Dana Stabenow and Night Passage by Robert B Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished reading The God of Lost Things and really had fun doing so. I'm definitely a G. Norman Lippert fan. Now, what with all the Robert B Parker discussion here I just began reading the first Jesse Stone novel, Night Passage. I'm convinced that this'll be good as I thoroughly enjoyed the TV movie (and the other Jesse Stone TV movies as well).
Finished my first Robert B Parker book, Night Passage and it certainly didn't disappoint! In fact I added the TV movie to the top of my Netflix queue so I can see it again.

Now I'm going back to Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak series to read Breakup, $4.99.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #13134
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Finished my first Robert B Parker book, Night Passage and it certainly didn't disappoint! In fact I added the TV movie to the top of my Netflix queue so I can see it again.

Now I'm going back to Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak series to read Breakup, $4.99.
I enjoy the Stone books (and TV movies), but honestly don't think they're as strong as his Spenser books. Possibly because I've been reading the Spenser books since the beginning, and I see things in the Stone books that are just one more rehash of the same old thing. (His protagonists have significant problems with relationships, and even though Spenser has a long-standing relationship with Susan, it's very much non-typical and rather uneven. And also fairly unbelievable.)

Breakup is possibly my favourite Stabenow book. It's funny, totally tongue in cheek, and she clearly was trying to see just how far she could go.

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #13135
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Parker and Stabenow

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I enjoy the Stone books (and TV movies), but honestly don't think they're as strong as his Spenser books. Possibly because I've been reading the Spenser books since the beginning, and I see things in the Stone books that are just one more rehash of the same old thing. (His protagonists have significant problems with relationships, and even though Spenser has a long-standing relationship with Susan, it's very much non-typical and rather uneven. And also fairly unbelievable.)

Breakup is possibly my favourite Stabenow book. It's funny, totally tongue in cheek, and she clearly was trying to see just how far she could go.

Charlie.
I remember a TV series back in the '80s called Spenser for Hire. But I never saw even part of an episode, and have never read any of the books, so I know absolutely nothing about the character. Conversely, I believe I've seen all the Jesse Stone TV movies and have liked them all. Just never read any of the books before.

Wow! I just read the first 3 chapters of Breakup!! Are the remaining fifteen chapters as crazy as these were? Love it so far!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #13136
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
The Buried Pyramid by Jane Lindskold is on hold right now.
I got this as a Tor freebie a long time ago. It starts out well, but I thought it devolved into an utter mess toward the very end.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #13137
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Because of other reading I was doing and other issues, it took me longer than usual, but I just finished The Case of the Substitute Face by Erle Stanley Gardner. First published in 1938, this was one of the early Perry Mason books, and one of the best. He and Della really took some bold risks in those early books. Paul did, too, but reluctantly, and only because not only was Perry his most lucrative client, but also a friend. Playing by the rules wasn't nearly as important in those early books (picture Jack Black* as Perry Mason) as it would be to the Perry Mason of the 50s and 60s (think Raymond Burr).

* Apologies to poohbear_nc, who first suggested Black for the role of the early Mason.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-07-2012 at 09:07 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #13138
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am currently reading Star Trek: DTI: Forgotten History by Christopher L. Bennett.
Quote:
The agents of the Department of Temporal Investigations are assigned to look into an anomaly that has appeared deep in Federation territory. It’s difficult to get clear readings, but a mysterious inactive vessel lies at the heart of the anomaly, one outfitted with some sort of temporal drive disrupting space-time and subspace. To the agents’ shock, the ship bears a striking resemblance to a Constitution-class starship, and its warp signature matches that of the original Federation starship Enterprise NCC-1701—the ship of James T. Kirk, that infamous bogeyman of temporal investigators, whose record of violations is held up by DTI agents as a cautionary tale for Starfleet recklessness toward history. But the vessel’s hull markings identify it as Timeship Two, belonging to none other than the DTI itself. At first, Agents Lucsly and Dulmur assume the ship is from some other timeline . . . but its quantum signature confirms that it came from their own past, despite the fact that the DTI never possessed such a timeship. While the anomaly is closely monitored, Lucsly and Dulmur must search for answers in the history of Kirk’s Enterprise and its many encounters with time travel—a series of events with direct ties to the origins of the DTI itself. . . .

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-07-2012 at 09:23 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #13139
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Wow! I just read the first 3 chapters of Breakup!! Are the remaining fifteen chapters as crazy as these were? Love it so far!
Yup. My memory is that it never stops. And yeah, I loved it.

Meanwhile, if you like Jesse Stone, by all means read Parker's Spenser series.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #13140
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am currently reading Star Trek: DTI: Forgotten History by Christopher L. Bennett.
That one sounds interesting, Jon. Let us know what you think of it after you finish, and how well it ties in with TOS.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote