Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KDXG
Angry KDXG Oi Vey (no, this is not a new Kindle verision :)

OK. Situation is as follows:

My KDXG was working yesterday.

Today I wanted to read - I turned it on and got the menu ON TOP of the "author image off screen".

Opening, closing, pressing "menu" only caused the situation to worsen, till my screen looks similar to the one here.

Tried to hold the power switch for 30 seconds. Nada. Dito with pressing the Home after release the power switch. Nothing. Now it's also not responsive any more, with only the logo of Amazon clearly seen between smears on the screen, and I'm left with an irresistible urge of making it work by repeatedly hitting it with my hand.

It there any way to reset it and make it behave? I REALLY don't want to buy a new kindle now...

Avi

Last edited by avinatbezeq; 01-13-2013 at 11:53 AM.
avinatbezeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Screen Images:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11429...95502245616241
Old 01-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
giododa
Connoisseur
giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I'm afraid the screen is broken.
Look at upper left corner
giododa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by giododa View Post
I'm afraid the screen is broken.
Look at upper left corner
Yep, that definitely looks like a broken substrate. If that is the case, the only remedy is replacing the screen. Sorry OP.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry, but the previous posters are right - you've broken the screen substrate; the fracture is clearly visible in your picture; it's the diagonal line near the upper left corner.

BTW, what does "oi vey" mean?

Last edited by HarryT; 01-13-2013 at 01:56 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur

Can the screen be replaced?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

That would be a Yiddish term, spelled oddly.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinatbezeq View Post

Can the screen be replaced?
It's worth contacting Kindle Customer Service; the may perhaps be able to offer you a replacement, at a sizeable discount, even though the DX is no longer officially sold.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
As mention in another thread, there is an ebay "Today Only" deal, which includes a DXG for $159:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kindl...-/330847664137

That may be cheaper than a discount price offered by Amazon. You need to hurry though while this deal lasts.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:54 AM   #10
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, but the previous posters are right - you've broken the screen substrate; the fracture is clearly visible in your picture; it's the diagonal line near the upper left corner.

What-Does-Oy-Vey-Mean.

Oy vey, now EVERYONE knows I can't spell
Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 AM   #11
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur

Thank you all for your support, insights and suggestions. I did contact Amazon, who offered me two reduced priced offers to refurbished older models. The support person was great, but the offer was no exciting.

I think I will borrow my mother's Kindle (she prefers using Kindle on iPad) till the new batch of e-Ink devices appear. Hopefully one of them will be a modern Kindle DX.