Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Siavahda
Connoisseur
Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2018
Epub to mobi replaces indents with 'oo'

Hey guys, I'm working with Calibre 9.6 and trying to convert an epub file to mobi. The epub is perfectly formatted, but when it comes out as a mobi there is a 'oo' in place of every paragraph indent.

Removing spacing and setting an indent didn't fix the problem, just meant that there was an indent and then the 'oo'.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Siavahda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siavahda View Post
Hey guys, I'm working with Calibre 9.6 and trying to convert an epub file to mobi. The epub is perfectly formatted, but when it comes out as a mobi there is a 'oo' in place of every paragraph indent.

Removing spacing and setting an indent didn't fix the problem, just meant that there was an indent and then the 'oo'.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
oh oh or zero zero (it can be hard to tell sometimes),
but either means that the line probably did not have a normal indent, but used some kludge to look like an indent
Use the calibre book viewer and 'inspect' (a right-click option) and see the code.
normal: <p class='calibre3">"I say!"</p>
copy and paste the full (short one please) tag to tag line here if you need help decoding
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
Siavahda
Connoisseur
Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
oh oh or zero zero (it can be hard to tell sometimes),
but either means that the line probably did not have a normal indent, but used some kludge to look like an indent
Use the calibre book viewer and 'inspect' (a right-click option) and see the code.
normal: <p class='calibre3">"I say!"</p>
copy and paste the full (short one please) tag to tag line here if you need help decoding

I'm not AT ALL sure this is what you asked for (I really don't know much about any kind of coding D but there's this...?

<p class= "normal-with-overrides1">
"00"
<span class= "normal"> ... </span>

?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not AT ALL sure this is what you asked for (I really don't know much about any kind of coding D but there's this...?

"00"
<span class= "normal"> ... </span>

?
Never seen that before (not that unusual )

It is almost like a 'null' (ASCII 00) got converted weird. what is also weird is there was a 'null' to convert

I don't use Caliber's (conversion) search and replace so someone else will need to help, because I only use sigil's to fix content issues.

If the stylesheet (.normal-with-overrides1) has the proper indent: text-indent: <value>;
removing quote 00 quote should be trivial (as fixing the stylesheet. UNLESS: normal-with-overrides1 is not supposed to be indented in other places.
Then, we need to replace
Code:
"00"
with a new class
Code:
<p class= "normal-with-overrides1x">
, and create that new selector in the stylesheet.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Siavahda
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Never seen that before (not that unusual )

It is almost like a 'null' (ASCII 00) got converted weird. what is also weird is there was a 'null' to convert

I don't use Caliber's (conversion) search and replace so someone else will need to help, because I only use sigil's to fix content issues.

If the stylesheet (.normal-with-overrides1) has the proper indent: text-indent: <value>;
removing quote 00 quote should be trivial (as fixing the stylesheet. UNLESS: normal-with-overrides1 is not supposed to be indented in other places.
Then, we need to replace
Code:
"00"
with a new class
Code:
<p class= "normal-with-overrides1x">
, and create that new selector in the stylesheet.

Oh, I can definitely switch to Sigil if that's easier, I've used that program before. Let's see...

Yep, much easier than Calibre! It looks like this

<p class="normal-with-overrides1">00<span class="normal">The pacing queen directed ministers and physicians to the crib. They listened to her breathing and her hummingbird heart, felt her fierce grip and her tiny fingers soft as salamander skin. All was sound. But her eyes did not open.</span></p>

So what you're saying is I should do a search-and-replace function on the 00s, just get rid of them?
Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Oh, I can definitely switch to Sigil if that's easier, I've used that program before. Let's see...

Yep, much easier than Calibre! It looks like this

<p class="normal-with-overrides1">00<span class="normal">The pacing queen directed ministers and physicians to the crib. They listened to her breathing and her hummingbird heart, felt her fierce grip and her tiny fingers soft as salamander skin. All was sound. But her eyes did not open.</span></p>

So what you're saying is I should do a search-and-replace function on the 00s, just get rid of them?
Search:
Code:
(?sm)(<p class= "normal-with-overrides1">)\s+"00"
replace:
Code:
\1
Note the (, ) above