Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #91
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by khseal View Post
I understand your thought, but do not understand what to do to resolve this conflict. I am a noob in Linux.
It would probably be better to start over than to try doing a massive un-install and re-install from another repository stream.

The Debian package management tools and control files do support such actions but you will see in their descriptions that Debian does not recommend trying it.

Next time, be a bit more careful of what repositories you specify.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #92
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Same goes for me. I thought I followed the instructions to the letter.

I'll do it again later - and rewrite them with the correct "bit"
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #93
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
Your base packages are from emdebian grip (source=http://www.emdebian.org/grip). The other ones are from debian (source=http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian).
I don't know much about debian, but I avoided this conflict pulling everything from emdebian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by initial-apt-stanza
[General]
unpack=true
debootstrap=Grip
aptsources=Debian

[Grip]
packages=ntpdate udev lrzsz netcat telnetd
source=http://www.emdebian.org/grip
keyring=emdebian-archive-keyring
suite=sid-grip

[Debian]
packages=
source=http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian
keyring=debian-archive-keyring
suite=sid
so... err. fix this? *goes off to learn more things*

This feels like I should be able to use apt "pinning" http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html but that is at the edge of my knowledge and TBH a simple "Do it like this to just make it work" would have more community value than "And here's something else obscure you can do"

maybe revisit pinning one day.

EDIT:

so err ummm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by initial-apt-stanza
[General]
unpack=true
debootstrap=Grip
aptsources=Debian

[Grip]
packages=ntpdate udev lrzsz netcat telnetd
source=http://www.emdebian.org/grip
suite=sid-grip

[Debian]
packages=
source=http://www.emdebian.org/debian
suite=sid
I'll give that a go and remind myself of the steps.

Last edited by twobob; 11-16-2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: pinning
Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #94
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
That's really, really strange - emdebian repo is meant to be used together with official repositories, and on my Kindle it worked perfectly (before upgrade to 5.3.0 :P). If you really want to get rid of some of the repos, then remove emdebian and leave official one enabled.

I used emdebian only because of PWs 2GB storage and my 512MB Debian partition, to reduce used amount of space. If you have more available space, you don't really need it.
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #95
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
That's really, really strange - emdebian repo is meant to be used together with official repositories, and on my Kindle it worked perfectly (before upgrade to 5.3.0 :P). If you really want to get rid of some of the repos, then remove emdebian and leave official one enabled.

I used emdebian only because of PWs 2GB storage and my 512MB Debian partition, to reduce used amount of space. If you have more available space, you don't really need it.
1.2 GB of space I have gone for. it allows a nice solid base install and room to do some serious testing in one area (sound, video, music, editors, etc) before needing a clear-down via rsync.

TBH I just do not use debian enough "under the hood" to have a grasp on the right fix.

Will attempt to construct a working apt stanza then - as you have implied... so I am looking for an official "grip"? Will go dig.

EDIT: hmm. no I dont think so? http://ftp.uk.debian.org/emdebian/grip/

I guess I need to go read up on grip. cheers
http://www.emdebian.org/grip/

Last edited by twobob; 11-16-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #96
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://ftp.uk.debian.org/emdebian/grip/ is just a mirror of what you already have.

Emdebian Grip is an repository which contains stripped down, but binary compatible Debian packages. It doesn't have all of packages from Debian, only about 2000. You *DON'T* want to have only that repo configured, without official, standard Debian one.

If you have problems, then remove Emdebian and leave only official one. If you still have problems, then you know that reason is somewhere else :P

Of course you don't have to reinstall whole system to change those things, everything should be doable from config files and clever use of apt-get/aptitude.

PS. FSO repo shouldn't be necessary. It just has few nice utilities we created while working on freesmartphone.org within Openmoko community, like mdbus, matchbox themes etc., but the most useful ones probably already migrated to main repos.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #97
twobob

Quote:
http://ftp.uk.debian.org/emdebian/grip/ is just a mirror of what you already have.

Emdebian Grip is an repository which contains stripped down, but binary compatible Debian packages. It doesn't have all of packages from Debian, only about 2000. You *DON'T* want to have only that repo configured, without official, standard Debian one.

If you have problems, then remove Emdebian and leave only official one. If you still have problems, then you know that reason is somewhere else :P

Of course you don't have to reinstall whole system to change those things, everything should be doable from config files and clever use of apt-get/aptitude.

PS. FSO repo shouldn't be necessary. It just has few nice utilities we created while working on freesmartphone.org within Openmoko community, like mdbus, matchbox themes etc., but the most useful ones probably already migrated to main repos.

hi mate. not to be a pain in the ass. but an apt stanza example would go a long way <-- SCREAMING NOOB!!!

Just imagine that I have no idea what I am doing. Then you just about have it.

" clever use of apt-get/aptitude." = just about being able to understand the docs "so far"...

Last edited by twobob; 11-16-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #98
dos1
20% cooler.

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free

This one is official Debian repo. You already had it - probably without "contrib non-free" part, but it doesn't matter, as python-gtk2 for sure isn't non-free package :P

"Clever use of apt-get/aptitude" is needed only when something goes wrong with dependencies and you really want to switch between grip and main. In your case it doesn't matter, so just ignore it :P

If I were you I would just run aptitude and play within its GUI. On my Kindle I didn't have any problem with installing gajim, so there must be some reason why it doesn't work on yours (maybe I forgot about something I did before? I don't know...)
Old 11-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #99
twobob

Quote:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free

This one is official Debian repo. You already had it - probably without "contrib non-free" part, but it doesn't matter, as python-gtk2 for sure isn't non-free package :P

"Clever use of apt-get/aptitude" is needed only when something goes wrong with dependencies and you really want to switch between grip and main. In your case it doesn't matter, so just ignore it :P

If I were you I would just run aptitude and play within its GUI. On my Kindle I didn't have any problem with installing gajim, so there must be some reason why it doesn't work on yours (maybe I forgot about something I did before? I don't know...)

okay I will have a hack and slash.

I think I will just start from the beginning again TBH. This issue actually prevents testing quite a few apps so far as it goes. so it would be worth understanding.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #100
khseal
Enthusiast
khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm crazy =) I changed the version with the manual and it worked.
Fix deb package https://dl.dropbox.com/u/30741962/em1.deb
khseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #101
khseal
Enthusiast
khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Touch
Aptitude solved problem versions!
I'm installed pidgin =)
There are problems with the menu to the program. No scroll bar and the window does not fit on the screen.

Last edited by khseal; 11-16-2012 at 04:13 PM.
khseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #102
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
I'm installed pidgin =)
There are problems with the menu to the program. No scroll bar and the window does not fit on the screen.
IIRC someone got Pidgin to run natively on the Touch...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #103
twobob

Quote:
I'm installed pidgin =)
Yep those 3 base libs (em1) for some reason screw the libfortran thing.

far as I can tell. aptitude replaces the clibs with the main ones and all is well.
just applying the changes now. fine. I'll just stick that in my process. rip guts. happy.

Quote:
Processing triggers for mime-support ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
dpkg: warning: downgrading gcc-4.7-base from 4.7.2-4em1 to 4.7.2-4
(Reading database ... 25088 files and directories currently installed.)
etc
Selecting previously unselected package python-gobject-2.
Unpacking python-gobject-2 (from .../python-gobject-2_2.28.6-10_armel.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package python-gtk2.
Unpacking python-gtk2 (from .../python-gtk2_2.24.0-3_armel.deb) ...
Selecting previously unselected package gajim.
Unpacking gajim (from .../gajim_0.15.1-2_all.deb) ...
.. blah...
yep. the 3 main c libs just need switching out. perhaps you did that DOS. who knows, perhaps the bug has just been introduced. who cares it's all good now. onward with the testing...

(oh and package up some of the wins so far that can be easily natively packaged)

and don't forget to sudo apt-get clean my kindle from time to time

Last edited by twobob; 11-16-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #104
dos1
20% cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Yep those 3 base libs (em1) for some reason screw the libfortran thing.

far as I can tell. aptitude replaces the clibs with the main ones and all is well.
just applying the changes now. fine. I'll just stick that in my process. rip guts. happy.

yep. the 3 main c libs just need switching out. perhaps you did that DOS. who knows, perhaps the bug has just been introduced. who cares it's all good now. onward with the testing...

(oh and package up some of the wins so far that can be easily natively packaged)

and don't forget to sudo apt-get clean my kindle from time to time
Great Well, I don't recall having any problems with emdebian versions of packages, so that could be some packaging bug introduced recently. Due to unfortunate events from last two weeks I wasn't up-to-date with it, and I don't use Emdebian on anywhere else other than Kindle, so I could just miss it

The day before 5.3.0 happened I installed Firefox and decided to try running Firefox Mobile interface on top of it. Themed a bit could work really well. Now I believe I'll be able to bring that idea to life soon
Old 11-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #105
twobob

Quote:
Great Well, I don't recall having any problems with emdebian versions of packages, so that could be some packaging bug introduced recently. Due to unfortunate events from last two weeks I wasn't up-to-date with it, and I don't use Emdebian on anywhere else other than Kindle, so I could just miss it

The day before 5.3.0 happened I installed Firefox and decided to try running Firefox Mobile interface on top of it. Themed a bit could work really well. Now I believe I'll be able to bring that idea to life soon
Yeah. that's what I figured. No problem at all. Somewhere RSN there is a serial cable with your name on it no doubt.

Nice one for the browser. I did look at firefox and chrome briefly. excited to see what you come up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_068.png
Views:	285
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	96265   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_069.png
Views:	267
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	96266   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_070.png
Views:	265