Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
iOS -- Can anyone get it to work??

I just cannot get my iPhone and iPad to learn where i have left off on my KT. My Kt graciously offers to screw up my real reading spot by updating to the wrong ones on my iOS device. This is rendering using the iOS devices just untenable.

Is anyone else having this problem?? I've mentioned it on the beta board, but there seems to be no progress at all. When I had a kindle, this was just a seamless thing--one picked up where the other left off.

Other than that, the KT is a great device. But this is driving me nuts!
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Grumpy2906
Grumpy2906 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
I just cannot get my iPhone and iPad to learn where i have left off on my KT. My Kt graciously offers to screw up my real reading spot by updating to the wrong ones on my iOS device. This is rendering using the iOS devices just untenable.

Is anyone else having this problem?? I've mentioned it on the beta board, but there seems to be no progress at all. When I had a kindle, this was just a seamless thing--one picked up where the other left off.

Other than that, the KT is a great device. But this is driving me nuts!
Hi, same here.
Already posted to that effect but never got a solution
Grumpy2906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
hmm works fine or least for me with my android devices

Apple mocking aside, did you update the bookmarks via the wifi on your kobo? If not then they won't sync

Last edited by wes101; 08-13-2011 at 08:55 PM.
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
leslie_ms
leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi, Kobo Touch, Kobo for Android
I started seeing that problem on Android with my Kobo WiFi after the last firmware upgrade. (I can't remember the number.)

When I got my Touch, the problem disappeared for the most part. It still happens occasionally.

It's more of an annoyance to me. I can usually remember where I left of.
leslie_ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I manually updated both using update bookmark, the home button and the cloud icon. Iffy and erratic.
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
Cottser
Enthusiast
Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
My Kobo Touch syncs up to the Kobo app on my Mac just fine, but iOS syncing, forget about it. Really hoping this gets fixed because this was a selling point for me.

The iPhone app took a lot of convincing and manual refreshes to see any new bookmark locations. Once I finally got it to see the updated bookmark, I flipped a couple pages, updated the bookmark on the iPhone, then went back to the KT. Once I confirmed that I had read on another device, the KT zoomed me roughly two dozen pages ahead of where I was on the iPhone. Very frustrating. If it just doesn't work, I'd rather not see it touted as a feature.

Also, at roughly the same spot in the (Kobo ePUB) book, the iPhone app reported 12% done while the KT reported 3%. I'm fairly sure the KT is showing the accurate figure, but I was a bit stunned to see this huge discrepancy.

Edit: The sync is still not working properly (iPhone struggles to pick up new bookmark, KT zooms way ahead after syncing iPhone) but at least now the iPhone and KT are both reporting 20% progress.

Last edited by Cottser; 09-04-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Cottser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
Wildgift
Connoisseur

Cottser, agreed. I've raised this and they sat their iOS team is working on it, but it's just a mess. It was a huge selling point for me too, as I like to read my iPad at night and the kobo by day, but the sync is totally broken. Kobo??? What's up with this? My kindle did this, no problem.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
Cottser
Enthusiast
Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I just sent customer care a long message detailing my woes. This is to me the most telling part of the syncing experience:

Quote:
It seems like when using cloud syncing you absolutely cannot keep a book "open" in the Kobo iPhone app. When doing so, no sync occurs when re-opening the iPhone app, and if you return to the home/library screen and try to sync to retrieve the bookmark saved on your other device, you cannot, because the iPhone has already overwritten the bookmark saved by the other device. The cloud bookmarking system seems very error-prone and there is a lot of stepping on toes going on in my testing. Perhaps when re-opening the iPhone app a sync could be performed, and a popup could be used just like on the Kobo Touch, asking the user if they want to update to the new bookmark position.
I don't know if this aspect of syncing is any better on other devices (i.e. Android), but this is just awful. If I have to think about it, it's not cloud syncing, it's hair pulling.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
I sometimes use the Kobo App for Android and the problem you describe in the quote also applies to it. i.e. the same problem. It looks like Kobo needs to redesign the syncing of bookmarks for their apps.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
Wildgift
Connoisseur

Bump. Bueller? This is really getting to me. I'm reading a huge book, and it's a bitch to find where I am when I switch platforms. Hey, Kobo!! What gives?
Old 09-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I have the Kobo iOS app and I have the same problems. I tend not to sync, but rather remember where I left off and go forward to that point manually.

I also have the discrepancy in amount read, where my KT gives me an accurate percentage and the iOS app is a few percentage points more. The slider at the bottom of the screen also seems to be wildly inaccurate as to where I am in a book.

I dislike the app and tend not to use it unless I've forgotten my Kobo.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
Cottser
Enthusiast

http://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/topi..._will_not_sync

According to the Get Satisfaction thread they have known about this issue for "at least two months" and it affects Android as well. Kobo, please fix this!

I have a ticket in with Kobo that has graduated to tier 3 support, and I provided them with a ton of information to hopefully reproduce the problem. Not holding my breath just yet, though.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
Wildgift
Connoisseur

And, without a search function, you cannot look for a word you know is on the last page. This is really starting to annoy me...
Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
Wildgift
Connoisseur

Here's what Kobo had to say:

"Unfortunately, you will not be able to bookmark all 3 devices to the same page in a particular book by way of syncing. This is not possible you are not able to sync between third party devices (iPhone, iPad). We apologize for this inconvenience."

Can this possibly be correct???
Old 09-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #15
Cottser
Enthusiast

I can't even get it to work between a Kobo Touch and an iPhone. But I see no reason why it shouldn't work between iPhone and iPad, considering you could easily have the Kobo apps and no Kobo eReader, or a smartphone and a desktop computer, for example. If it's "cloud syncing" why would you need an eReader or a computer to sync?

They emphasize that you can synchronize between devices. Right on the iTunes store in the app listing, and here and here on the Kobo website, and I'm sure in other spots too.

Quote:
[…]even your bookmarks follow you so you'll never lose your place.
I received another response to my ticket today. They tested the two books I tested (one free and one paid kepub from the Kobo store) and here's what they had to say.

Quote:
We have looked into this issue and we have determined that there is an issue with these two eBooks rather than the Kobo app for iPhone/iPad. These eBooks do not bookmark properly. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.
So I asked them to tell me a free eBook on the Kobo store that DOES work.