Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #31
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I've had lots of gadgets on which one could read over the years, but they never suited me for anything of any size. I used Psions for reference material, and read "Huckleberry Finn" on a Nintendo DS (as an experiment, really), but my PRS-900 is the first device that has actually replaced paper for most of my reading. Now, I wouldn't use paper if I could get away with it - certainly for text-based stuff like novels.

So, lots of devices that could be ebook readers, but only one which actually performs that role for me.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #32
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Desktop PC (gone ages ago and forgotten)
Desktop Mac
iPhone and again iPhone 3GS
Kindle 1, Kindle 2
MacBook and MacBook Pro
I await the iPad
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #33
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
EZ Reader Basic - This is the device I normally use the most, but it's currently on loan to my mom (trying to get her hooked )
Laptop PC - The first device I used for reading, normally not used for that much anymore, but in use right now in place of the EZ Reader.
iPod Touch - Normally I just use this when I'm running errands and want to have something light to carry for the odd few minutes of reading while waiting, but like the laptop it's getting a little more use than usual right now.
Kindle 2 - Just briefly when a friend and I were comparing devices.

My hope is to get my mom hooked enough that I can justify giving her my EZ Reader Basic and replacing it with a Pocket Pro!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:20 AM   #34
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Dell Axim X50v
PocketBook 301 - just love it!
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #35
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Counting only devices used as dedicated readers, I've had:
  • REB1100
  • Dell Axim v30
  • Sony PRS-500 (x2 -- one each for my wife and for me)
  • Sony PRS-700
My wife is now reading on an iPod Touch—and is very happy with it—but I didn't count it because it's certainly not used as a dedicated reader.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #36
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Ok let see how this goes

1. Psion 3
2. Palm Pilot
3. Palm IIIx
4. Palm trio
5. Palm trio color
6. Jornada
7. Sone Clie NZ90
8. Psion 5mx
9. IPaq travel companion
10 Sony 500
11 Ipod Touch

Future
12 IPad

I would like to see Nate the Great's list. If I remember right it should double mine.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #37
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Sony Clie SL-10 (hi res but poor contrast LCD)
Sony Clie SJ-20 (excellent mono LCD)
Sony Clie Sj-30 (excellent colour LCD, but not as good as the SJ-20 in sunlight)
Nokia 6630
CyBook Gen3
Sony PRS-505
Kindle 2
iPod Touch

The Clies were good, SJ20 was probably the best. The Nokia has too small a screen. The iPod Touch I haven't give a proper trial.

CyBook was good, but fragile. Sony is good, but heavy. Kindle is good, but bulky - currently my main reader.

But ePubs are the future. The formatting can be so much better than with Mobipocket.

So I'm on the lookout for something that does really good ePubs, with a better display and form factor than the Kindle.

The Mirasol and Electrovista displays look very interesting, especially the high resolution of the Mirasol. All I have to do is wait for it to be in production in a machine I like.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-26-2010 at 12:11 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #38
PapaSqrt
PapaSqrt began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
my one and only is the Irex DR800SG. My wife is getting tired of hearing how much I love it. lol
PapaSqrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:12 AM   #39
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
The usual suspects- Sony's newest readers, iPod, Kindle 2, and iPad (on order), but the reader I would really like to set up is a laptop connected to a 50 inch widescreen LCD or LED display via an HDMI port, with the whole shebang controlled through a wireless keyboard. This would be used in the bedroom, where I would normally watch a DVD movie. Reading is more fun now, with so many download options. I guess the word is convergence. Thanks to many board members who have posted obscure and not-so obscure ebooks on the web. Without their effort, books would not be experiencing a renaissance of renewed interest. Long live books, and sorry for being late to the party (i.e., in adopting ebook readers).
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #40
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Hmm...

1) eBookwise, purchased in 2005. My first ebook reader, bought after I read a review of it at AAR. I loved the backlit screen the most, because it was convenient for reading on long car rides. Died last summer for no reason I could ever determine--overuse, probably.

2) Sony 505, purchased in 2007. I bought this because I liked the idea of e-Ink. I liked having many more books at my disposal compared to the eBookwise. I didn't like some of the antics I've been experiencing with the machine over the last several months--spontaneous reboots which only got worse. However, I unexpectedly stumbled over the solution to the problem by converting all of my ebooks to ePub instead of lrf. Now the machine's working great *knock on wood* and hasn't rebooted itself in almost two months. And with the LightWedge cover, I can take it with me on long car trips, too.

3) Sony 600. I bought this when I started having problems with the 505, but despite my initial liking of the device, I haven't been using it much. After more thorough use, I don't like where the page turn buttons are...come to think of it, I don't like the page turn buttons, period. I might sell this device soon.

4) Kindle 2. I bought this in November when the refurbished US-only models were available for $189, and if Amazon ever gets off their behinds and allows for the creation of folders, this might become my favorite device.

5) iPhone. I bought this about a month ago, and I thought I'd hate reading on it--tiny print, constant page turns. To my surprise, it's not as bad as I thought, and it'll come in handy if I ever do decide to just go with the Kindle because of the screen.

6) Desktop PC. Urgh. Back when I only had the eBookwise, I couldn't get a book to convert to that format. I was forced to read the book on my PC, and I hated having to sit in my computer chair all day.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:09 AM   #41
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Just the 1 .....

If anyone wants to GIVE me another .....

For Scientific Testing purposes you understand

Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #42
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
I only ever used the desktop PC and PRS-600.
Same here.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote