Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 05:32 AM   #166
whiz16
whiz16 began at the beginning.

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpantz View Post
I just got a nook from Barnes and Noble and started converting Mangas with Calibre. They display nicely on there, but there's one annoying problem that I keep running into. I'm not sure if it's already been answered on here, but the pages are coming up out of order when I convert. I'm thinking it has to do with some of the naming schemes, because the .rar file that I imported contains several chapters of the manga from one volume. As an example, here's a sample file list of one of the mangas that I've been converting:

Gunnm LO v01 c01 016.jpg
Gunnm LO v01 c01 017.jpg
Gunnm LO v01 c01 018.jpg
etc, etc
Gunnm LO v01 c02 066.jpg
Gunnm LO v01 c02 067.jpg
Gunnm LO v01 c02 068.jpg
etc, etc
GUNNM LO v01 c03 094.jpg
GUNNM LO v01 c03 095.jpg
GUNNM LO v01 c03 096.jpg
etc, etc
GUNNM LO v01 c04 118.jpg
GUNNM LO v01 c04 119.jpg
GUNNM LO v01 c04 120.jpg
etc, etc

I'm thinking because the filenames for chapters 3 and 4 are in caps, it's messing things up. Not really a problem with calibre, but the scanners' naming schemes. However, they display in proper order in the .rar file, doing chapter 1, then 2, then 3 and so on in order regardless of the caps on chapters 3 and 4. But when it's converted to an EPUB or PDF, what is odd is that the order goes chapter 3, chapter 1, chapter 2, chapter 4. I don't know why chapter 3 jumped to the top of the list. Is it because the name is in caps? But then why didn't chapter 4 do that too?

I tried setting the converter to not reorganize the files when converting, but that made them completely out of order. Is there a way to use Calibre to make an EPUB with the files in the EXACT SAME ORDER that they are in the .rar? They used to be in numbered folders inside the .rar, but that didn't change anything. Now they are loose files. Should I rename all of the files? Is there a free batch renamer that would make this process quicker?

Another question that I had is: how do you add chapter marks to mangas? My files are nothing more than a collection of jpegs in a .rar, so there's not really anything that it autodetects. I'm a little confused how to use the chapter settings.

Thank you for your time. Reading comics on an e-reader is awesome!
hi ... i did some trial error on my comics , found some minor stuff that u might find useful , i tried on lrf and it works, should be good for epub as well.

1. unzip the files and set all the pics in same level (not different folders)

2. all the names must be exact same except for chapter and page number, no caps no spacing diff. no big cap/small cap...

3. the numbering also need the be same decimal place(?) ... if u have 100 pages, u need to name 001 , 002 .... 100 . cannot 1,2,3...100 (the sequence will screw up) . same for volume.. v01, v02 .. v10

after u rename all the jpgs , re-zip it and rename to cbz and use calibre convert and see if it works for u.... and yes.. its easier to get those batch renamer ....
whiz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #167
arpantz
arpantz began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Yes, that works. No more stuff out of order! One question though, if a zip contains files in folders, it won't import right into calibre. It won't let me convert to epub at all. Like if someone put each chapter of a volume of manga into it's own folder within the zip. Normally I'd just put them on the same level, but sometimes each chapter is numbered from 01.jpg-30.jpg, so you end up with 6 files all called 01.jpg, 02.jpg and so on. I've been batch-renaming them now, but is there anyway to get calibre to read folders within a zip or no? Batch-renaming has been working fine, but I didn't know if there was a way I could save 5 minutes per volume of renaming and such.

Thanks again for the help, guys!
arpantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #168
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, you have to manually fix the folders.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #169
lordsilent
Enthusiast
lordsilent began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
The comic conversion tool cuts double pages very well but is there a way for it to cut them from right to left instead of left to right? My manga is a bit backwards at the moment.
lordsilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #170
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

use the right to left option
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #171
lordsilent
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
use the right to left option
I tried looking at the options right before converting but i dont see it, mind telling me where i can find it?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #172
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

under Comic Input
Old 09-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #173
lordsilent
Enthusiast

Thank you!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #174
arpantz
arpantz began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I gotta say, this is an awesome program. I've spent a week downloading and convering various mangas and they look awesome on my Nook. Thank you for making such a helpful program!
arpantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #175
ebookapps
Enthusiast
ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookapps has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS–300, Sony PRS-505
If you are looking for CBR/CBZ files support on Sony eReaders, take a look at alternative firmware for Sony eReaders. We just added comics support on it. There is no need to convert files anymore.
ebookapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #176
guttaperk
guttaperk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hey, guys,

How do I convert a CBZ file so that the images are not enlarged on my Kindle's screen?
guttaperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #177
guttaperk
guttaperk began at the beginning.

I've created a CBZ file out of some low-res images. When I convert them, they look fuzzy— I think because they've been enlarged...
guttaperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #178
quelarion
quelarion began at the beginning.

hey there,
I've been trying for a while, but I seem not able to eliminate margins in MOBI files created from CBZ/CBR to be read on Kindle 3. Any idea on how to deal with that?
quelarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #179
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

try converting to PDF.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #180
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
@kovid goyal, first of all thanks for your great program!
I had successfully made a cbc according to the guide and converted them to epub using calibre.
I got one question, is it possible to make 2 level TOC, for example a 3 book comic in one epub, organized by book and chapter?
lack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cbz, comic