Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Runs4Brains
Runs4Brains has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Runs4Brains has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Runs4Brains has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Runs4Brains has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
iPod Touch or NookColor: I know, apples & oranges...

Hey,

I was hoping to get opinions on the iPod Touch vs. the Nook Color. I was debating where to post this... the Apple, Nook, or Which EReader forum cause i think I'll get different answers based on where it's posted.

I'm having a lot of difficulty choosing between these two devices. If my only concern was picking the "best" eReader among the two, this would be an easy decision. I'd go with the Nook simply b/c of its larger screen and specialized reader functionality. But because I'm attempting to decide between overall Portability vs. Greater Usability vs. Computing Functionality, trying to pick a general computing/eReading device is much harder.

1st, I'd like to say I don't currently own a smartphone or even a current gen laptop; therefore, my desire to buy a "semi-capable" mobile computing device is EXTREMELY HIGH. I'm not looking for laptop levels of computing power/support, but I'm also not looking for only a pure eReader. Those of you with iPhones and/or laptops will find it hard to objectively relate since you already have mobile access and can dedicate a secondary device to reading. If smart phones didn't require paying outrageous rates for ongoing data plans, I would have already purchased a smartphone and probably won't be here bugging u guys. But IMO, it's just not worth $1200-$1500/yr to have a mobile computer in my pocket. Yes, I could just a cheap $300 netbook, but they make terrible ebook reading devices.

So visited MicroCenter over the weekend and played with a 4th gen iPod Touch. Given its size, the Touch is clearly the more portable option over the Nook Color. Out of the box, it's also without quesiton the more capable "mobile computer" simpily due to the insurmountable number of applications available for iOS. IMO "computing" means access to applications... productivity, communications, entertainment & education. B&N and Android Market are making great strides, but let's face it, Apple won the "app" war yrs ago and this probably won't change anytime soon.

But for me, web browsing is the most important function I'm looking for in my new device with e-reading being a close 2nd. Music, videoes, Apps and Games all trail a distant 3rd place. I'm looking for a good web experience while at home and on-the-go. The browser needs to render the "full" web (minus Flash) accurately and quickly. Tabbed browsing is a major plus, but overall HTML/JS compatibility is most desirable. And this is where I ran into issues with the Touch. Compared to the NookColor, the Touch loses out due to a slower and seemingly less compatible browser. The unit I played with had issues rendering HTML & JavaScript correctly on several major websites like CNN, Engadget and Joystiq. For instance, the javascript driven Search function on Engadget didn't even work on the Safari browser. The Touch also refused to display the "full" Joystiq.com site (would only display the mobile version no matter what). Lastly, the browser was slow to render sites, but that could easily be attributed to slow in-store WiFi. The compatibility problems are what really give me pause. It also makes the unit less reliable as a mobile device. Hey iPod Touch owners, was this simply a problem with that particular display unit or are these issues inherent to the Touch/Safari browser in general?

The major advantage and disadvantage of the Touch is its size. The screen is a big stumbling point in comparison to the 7" Nook. But then again, what's the point of having a large screen & capable browser (nook) if it's too big to always tote around? If a mobile device to be useful, it's gotta be in your pocket right? Then again, if the Touch's browser has major HTML/JS compatibility issues, do I even care it's in my pocket? It's a quandry. Do I want the portability and greater app support of the Touch but deal with a buggy browser and cramped display? Or does the Nook's bigger screen & better browser compatibility offset it's MUCH LESS portable size, crippled OS, and MUCH less developer support? I know you can root a NookColor to get the full Android 2.2 experience. It's intriguing, but for now I'd like to compare both devices in their stock form.

As for Ereader capabilities, I'm not as picky as some MobileReaders regarding screen size, screen type, direct sunlight readability, etc... I don't require excellent PDF support or DRM/Retail market support (although ADE support for library books would be nice). What I do require is a reader with a backlight screen for reading in the dark and a reader capable of handling as many open formats as possible. EPUB, .DOC, .TXT, at a minimum. Mobi, PRC, PDB, RTF, CBR, LIT would be nice... As long as the reader supports proper word wrap/reflow, I'm happy. I believe both the Touch and Nook meet all of these requirements? I currenlty own an Aluratek Libre Pro. It's a great little device and supports many open formats. But the lack of backlight makes reading in the dark a pain, literally! Also it's obviously a single-use device.. hence the desire for a more fully functioning mobile device with web/apps/eReader support.

I know this was a rather long and rambling post, but ANY comments would be nice. I'm just having difficulties putting into words "what i want". Maybe that's because even *I* don't know yet! Thx for any feedback

Last edited by Runs4Brains; 02-09-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Runs4Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color. Kobo Touch (died 2014). Kobo Glo.
I have had an ipod touch, though I finally got an iphone. I find it is perfectly fine for reading on, just frequent page turning. Now that I have my nook color, if I'm sitting upstairs I will tend to put the phone down to browse the web on my nook. I find most web pages quite annoying on the phone, if I have other options. That's the thing though I ALWAYS have my iphone with me. If you have another reader, I would be tempted to say go with the phone, and use it when you want backlit reading, otherwise use your aluratek.

Trying to think back to the ipod only - given the choice I suspect I would have gone with the ipod, but then again I have 924 apps (they're not all in use, alot were free so I tried them out).

Around here wifi is basically only available at Starbucks and the library, so the wifi usability is somewhat limited away from home.

Of course its taken me 3, 4 weeks and 4 readers for me to make a decision on a reader.....
deborahjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Runs4Brains
Runs4Brains has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Runs4Brains has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Runs4Brains has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Runs4Brains has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Deborah,

Thank you for your insight. Your experience with your iPhone & iPod seem to mirror what I'm sort of already thinking... both the Nook & iDevice will make perfectly acceptable eReaders for my needs, but the browser experience on the iPod will be less than optimal (maybe bordering on unacceptable). But... and it's a BIG "but", the iPod will always be on me and therefore usable. Can't say the same thing about the NC!

But given the choice, you would have gone with the iPod over the Nook huh? Yeah, the mammoth app support is a tough mountain to overlook...

Regarding WiFi vs. 3g, given the choice I'd definitely prefer 3g but I'm not willing to shellout 2K+ every other year. I'm in Chicago so thankfully free wifi is practically everywhere making a plain ol' iPod a real alternative to the iPhone.

I think I'm having so much difficulty cause these 2 devices REALLY DO serve 2 totally different purposes and therefore can't/shouldn't be compared. Regardless, I am comparing them and I *need* to make a choice. Ugh!

Last edited by Runs4Brains; 02-09-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Why is your 3G so expensive? Not to say I don't think it costs too much, but ours isn't "quite" that bad.

In going with the ipod over the nook, I must also say that I have been resistant to ebooks. I had a few on my ipod for "fun", so I would always have something to read, but I wasn't seriously reading that way.

I prefer paper books, but the reality is that I'm running out of storage space, and with the ongoing coupon at kobo my books are much cheaper in ebook format.

Oh - the other thing in favour of the ipod is that we are mac people. I wanted something to replace my palm back when I got my first ipod touch. ipod has an email client, so you don't have to use webmail, which I like. Other apps are not just games, but also useful - soulver (calculator), kobo, nook, amazon, stanza (ie you can read books from anyone with no fuss), todo lists, calendars and so forth.

Of course I'm sure a rooted nook could do a lot of that. I had enough trouble getting my book covers to show properly though, I'm not up to rooting.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

I had a 4th Gen Touch for a couple weeks. And I am not in any way an Apple fan or user, ever. I loved the device. The big difference for me over the iPhone is the Retina display essentially removes any sort of eye strain issues. The clarity and crispness of the text are without question best around so far anyway.

As for the wifi, I too live in a wifi challenged community with our only access also at Starbucks or McDonalds. The funny, in a sad way funny, is we have a muni wifi network, and it completely sucks without an special access point to extend the Tx/Rx range and even with with a 400mW rig from Pepwave we are lucky to get 500ft from any of the nodes in town.

Still as a productivity tool I can't argue against the pocket iDevices after having used one in earnest for an extended period. But I would never drop the price of an iPhone, even buying an unlocked unit on eBay is still not near to anything I want to look at price wise. It's nice but not the better part of $1000 nice. Even the ~$300 for the Touch is more than I cared to spend. I got mine for about $175 though thanks to an Audible promo which gave me a $100 credit toward any Audible compatible device or accessory on Amazon. So I grabbed the Touch then a buddy asked if I would setup things for him and he would pay me full price plus my time. Well, easy call for the mercenary side of me. Still i walked away with some extra cash but also knowing I liked the device a lot. If they only offered a 3G version of it w/o a contract at the same price, better around $200-$250 for a 32gb model.

I even experimented with reading larger format reference books and had little problem adapting to the small screen thanks to the multi-touch aspect of the device.

As to the NookCOLOR, not for me. I am to a point in life where I do not want to dick around with hack this, jigger that and duct tape that waaay over there to get something that sort of works sometimes or until updates are out and then nothing I need works until the hackers get around to figuring out what is broken in the update.

Also I flat do not care for the handling of the NC. The awkward screen ratio leads to a rather tall device. because of the design the weight is not well balanced and it can feel quite top heavy even though it is not. The weight is simply evenly distributed and that does not equate to a sense of balanced handling in one hand or even two. I did not try it out beyond that basic handling because I just don't want something I have to get used to the feel. The Touch felt quite natural once it a TPU back cover.

The lack of Flash is also somewhat problematic if the site does not offer on the fly transcoding for iOS device users. If Flash matters to you then iOS devices are not the way to go, period. Silly but it is what it is.

Good luck deciding just thought I would pass along some non-Apple person feedback. I liked the Touch as well as the iPad I got my hands on for about an hour the other day. I just still do feel claustrophobic when using them thanks to the closed nature of data and what not. Yeah it can be somewhat handled via work-a-rounds but again I am just worn out with those over the past few decades. Hope you figure out the best for you.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Get neither, get something with a 5" screen. My Dell Streak fits easily into my jeans' front pocket, and there other devices without phone capabilities in that size. 5" is the perfect size for true mobility.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runs4Brains View Post
Hey,

I know this was a rather long and rambling post, but ANY comments would be nice. I'm just having difficulties putting into words "what i want". Maybe that's because even *I* don't know yet! Thx for any feedback
not to worry i am a fan of more detailed posts rather then the sound byte post.

I would suggest that you are right you don't know what it is you want and are afraid to simply make some choices. Until you buy something, use it, realize you hate it and toss it under a passing bus, you are not a true edevice users and you will never know what you want.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #8
Runs4Brains

@Debora - Regarding the cost of 3G: I might be totally offbase... it happens... but from what I remember a "basic" AT&T service plan for the iPhone runs around $90/mo for something in the neighborhood of 400 mins & 5GB of data. Once you add in all the taxes & surcharges, it's around $110-115/mo. With a minimum of 24 month contract + the cost of the phone, you're looking at around $2800-$3000 over the contract period! In truth I can afford the tab. I just can't willingly justify it. I mean $2800 buys A LOT of books! LOL! And that's basically a rolling cost to be paid indefinitely. Now please don't take offense. I'm not judging anyone who owns an iPhone. I'm just saying for my lifestyle, I can't justify such an expense when there are other toys like running, cycling, and motorcycling equipment to be purchased. Ha! If I were a big phone user, maybe I'd reconsider.

@snipenekkid - Thanks for the feedback. I'm also not an Apple fanboy. I've actually NEVER owned a single Apple product. Gasp! It's nice to hear an opinion from a "neutral" party. I agree it's extremely expensive, but at least the Touch is a one-time expenditure. I'd even gladly pay $1000 for an unlocked iPhone *IF* AT&T allowed a voice only option with WiFi for data. Alas, they require 3G for data as do all carriers for their smartphones.

Your positive experience with the iPod Touch is very promising though. I think I'm definitely leaning in that direction over the NookColor. I could probably adjust to the smaller screen given the hi-res Retina display you mentioned. As an e-reader, I'm sure it's just fine. Just would require frequent page turning as Deborah mentioned earlier. I'm just a bit worried about that Safari browser. It really seemed to have some basic HTML/Java Script compatibility issues. But maybe the demo unit I tested at MicroCenter was just totally hosed? I don't know...

Regarding your fed-up attitude towards tinkering/hacking/rooting/jail-breaking electronics only to have problems down the road, I TOTALLY understand. I'm nearing that point myself. Luckily over the years, Apple has slowly implemented basic functionality people used to jailbreak in order to attain. Now, only the most hardcore users find it necessary to hack their iDevices. As for the Nook, it's not quite there yet but it's very close. At this point, rooting is still desirable but B&N is adding features at a surprising rate! I believe Android 2.2 is expected within the quarter? B&N seems to be supporting their device better than many phone manufacturers like Samsung and Motorola. Crazy and sad really. A major plus for the NookColor is that its stock browser is already quite usable. And obviously its e-reader functionality is solid (except maybe .PDFs... I hear that functionality is terribily flawed).

At this point, I think I could live with either unit in a non-rooted/non-jailbroken condition, at least for a while. Decisions... decisions... decisions....

@HansTWN - Thx for the recommendation. I'll have to research that. But from a cursory glance, the Streak gets less than steller reviews. It runs an old version of Android and is 2x the cost of a NC but offers nothing more in terms of hardware except for a more pocketable form factor (which i must admit IS attractive). I really do need to explore the Steak in more detail. Thx again for the recommendation!

If anyone else has any insights/recommendations, I'd appreciate it. I don't know, maybe I'm just being ridiculous comparing these two devices?

Last edited by Runs4Brains; 02-10-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
snipenekkid
Banned

Runs4Brains:

Glad to read someone else feels similar to myself. I too have a difficult time with the whole cellular data thing in terms of prices and caps. I guess I am one who believes in not playing word games and all of the carriers now use very different terminology when describing what the contract covers. The use the terms "web browsing" and "data" as if the content is somehow different. We all well know there is zero difference. sure "web browsing" could be, and likely is defined, in the EULA as viewing websites using a browser, fine, but where is the line between embeded video being billed as data verses it actually being "web browsing" as it comes along in the course of basic browsing.

I do use a 3rd party service provider for my mobile broadband needs and they offer plans with pretty much every technology. The name of the company is Millenicom and right now I am using their uncapped CDMA service via Sprint's network for $60/mo and I get a consistent symmetric 1-2mb service. I get faster here with AT&T, as high as 6mb/4mb which is not quite symmetric but pretty darned speedy. Only problem is there is a very small data cap on that service which pretty much makes the speed of no more value than the slower CDMA service we get here. But in general you are dead on correct, the cost will be around $60-$120/mo no matter how you look at it, well it will be that much if a person wants a service that actually provides real usefulness rather than just being able to say "...I have the fastest connection." I mean great for the 5-minutes/day on average you can use it before hitting the cap in a month and needing to sell a kidney to pay the bill.

Your take on the Safari browser is in line with my experiences as well. It's just OK, as in good enough for most needs. but to really be assured of complete access I feel one needs to juggle a couple different browsers to have all the bases covered and what a PITA is that? In fact it is like the old days on PDA's running Netfront, you needed three more browsers if you wanted anything close to reasonable access. And on the Nokia N800 running OS2008 the browser was, well, not great either. This is part of the fiddly nature of these devices I find so frustrating and really just disappointing. And also why I pretty much am leaning toward spending that mega-buck on a Win7 device once the dust settles. Do I want to spend that much? Not a chance. Am I going to like the battery life? Not even close and it's this last issue which may be why I just walk away from the whole idea period. The devices simply have not matured as they should have in the two-and-a-half decades we've had portable notebook/laptop computers. And most of that lay within the whole market system.

Last my concerns are we now must buy into a new buzzword, the ecosystem, great. But really it is great if you can handle the limits such a thing will have. And also only if that ecosystem does not suffer from it's own form of deforestation and global warming. Or if they do not force perpetual device replacement every 18-months or so. There might be my biggest issue, I don't need these devices to be replaced more than every 5-6 years at the soonest, my needs are static. It is the commercial content providers which demand these things as well as the device makers themselves simply because they stop supporting a device. Maybe I have been bitten by that too many times now so that my enthusiasm is not where it could be. Still, of all the devices i actually do like the Touch a lot. And by extension how the iPad works, I just need to decide if they are not going to screw us in 2-3 yrs or sooner in terms of content access. But as you say there is the jailbreak options but man I so don't want any more "fiddly" in my daily activities. life is far too short to waste it on that sort of thing.

I hope ya find something which works for your needs. I would think something is out there and hopefully it is not shackled to the ball-n-chain of a data plan.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
deborahjeanne
Zealot

No problem. The cost of the data plan is what has kept me from having an iphone until now. My phone is 58.76 a month, taxes included. I actually don't use it as a phone as much as I use the data, and I was able to get hold of the briefly offered 5 gb plan.

What about this new HP thing that is coming?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
snipenekkid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahjeanne View Post
No problem. The cost of the data plan is what has kept me from having an iphone until now. My phone is 58.76 a month, taxes included. I actually don't use it as a phone as much as I use the data, and I was able to get hold of the briefly offered 5 gb plan.

What about this new HP thing that is coming?
that is why I went with Millenicom (http://www.millenicom.com) and use their BYOD data plan for $59.99/mo. But you can also grab one of their other plans as well and still use your own device you simply need to be creative in it. I use USB data modems rather than a phone and if I need to make a call or receive calls I use Skype. I do not need a cell phone for instant communication anymore, heck once you cut that off you do wonder why it seemed so needed in the first place.

But a data only plan and some sort of 3G device, dongle or even just your tablet's 3G SIM will do the trick.

I seem to remember reading there are now a few other MBB reseller ISP's out there now as well. The biggest issue is the backbone providers like AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and the other smaller providers want to sell you service using the carrot of data but they don't actually want to let you USE that data service for anything meaningful.

I am still grandfathered in on my Millenicom account and have no actual data cap, not even the 50GB/mo trigger point where they might look at it. In reality they only say this is the case for new customers, I don't know anyone who ever got whacked by the excessive bandwidth fairy. So if your device either can support CDMA or you can swap in a Sprint SIM it's a great deal since it's a month-to-month but you do have to pay the setup fee again should you cancel, which kinda stinks even if you know you won't need it for a couple months. So I just keep my service and deduct the cost on my taxes every year as it's mobile and for business.

This situation is really worth looking into and is one reason why I wish someone would sell unlocked tablets and devices like the Touch to give consumers true options rather than more roadblocks and compromises every freaking time you want to turn on and actually use the crap we buy.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have a non-Nook ereader and an iPod Touch. I use the Touch primarily for listening to music (Pandora.com), playing app store games to pass time, a recipe book in my kitchen (Tastebook.com), and some limited internet browsing. The browsing is... sub-optimal. I've also used it for reading (Kindle app) a few times when I wanted to read in a pinch, but I didn't find the screen size ideal for long reading sessions. I choose my ereader over my Touch every time I have the option. But if I'm out and about without my ereader, the Touch will do.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
An iPod touch makes a perfectly capable eBook reader as long as you're okay with the screen size. I can read fairly comfortably on my iPhone (and it's a 3GS so the resolution isn't even as high), and there's no doubt that it's more capable as a general use device than the nook color (assuming you don't root the nook color).

Ultimately, it really comes down to personal preference. (I seem to say that a lot) I find that I would personally go for an iPod touch over a nook color, but at the same time if you are comfortable with rooting the nook and your needs can be fulfilled by it, it would be a great option if you do a lot of reading.

Due to the fact that you already own another eBook reader though, I'd recommend the iPod touch. You can get the general use out of it much more easily than a nook color, and you already own a reader that has a comfortable screen size for long reading sessions.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #14
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
Depending on what you're doing online, some things can be done using apps. For example, the Instapaper app is awesome, and an rss feed app allows me to read blogs I follow easily. And the text being So crisp on the 4th gen iPod touch, my vote goes there! I love mine!
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 AM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runs4Brains View Post

@HansTWN - Thx for the recommendation. I'll have to research that. But from a cursory glance, the Streak gets less than steller reviews. It runs an old version of Android and is 2x the cost of a NC but offers nothing more in terms of hardware except for a more pocketable form factor (which i must admit IS attractive). I really do need to explore the Steak in more detail. Thx again for the recommendation!

If anyone else has any insights/recommendations, I'd appreciate it. I don't know, maybe I'm just being ridiculous comparing these two devices?
Actually I wasn't advising you to get the Streak since you don't want a phone (though it is only $399 unlocked and off contract, has been upgraded to 2.2 for many months, by far the best phone I have ever seen runs even Flash like a dream -- the Nook has less RAM and a slower processor) I was suggesting you get the Archos or some other tablet device in the 5" format. Since you want the solution that offers both portability and good browsing, that is the way to go. 3.5" devices have only half the screen area of a 5" device!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote