Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #106
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerenon View Post
I've done some research, and it seems there is a workaround for the android book cover problem I've mentioned before. The problem is that the device needs to be rooted, otherwise you don't have access to the required folder.

If you have a book with the ASIN "B000000001", then put a png formatted image in /data/data/com.amazon.kindle/files with the filename "cover_B000000001.png" and it will show up instead the downloaded garbage.

Hope it helps someone .
Hey I updated my thread here. The script I wrote should automatically generate the cover art for you with the example you gave as the template.
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:13 PM   #107
CuriousGrrl
Kindle lover/Linux user
CuriousGrrl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I successfully used "FAKE_ASIN" in a .mobi book today. Amazon synced it. So I think you can put anything in the ASIN field
CuriousGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #108
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Hey CuriousGrrl! Welcome to MR, and great find!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #109
Kerenon
Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGrrl
I successfully used "FAKE_ASIN" in a .mobi book today. Amazon synced it. So I think you can put anything in the ASIN field
Hmm.. I've modified my test script to replace the fake asin numbers with the MD5 sum of the filename. This has the advantage, that you don't have to remember which book belongs to which asin, as long as you keep the filenames unchanged... and it worked better than expected. Now amazon is syncing all my books, and my android phone is showing the embedded covers of the books, instead some random pics.
Kerenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #110
Edzilla
Edzilla began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerenon View Post
Hmm.. I've modified my test script to replace the fake asin numbers with the MD5 sum of the filename. This has the advantage, that you don't have to remember which book belongs to which asin, as long as you keep the filenames unchanged... and it worked better than expected. Now amazon is syncing all my books, and my android phone is showing the embedded covers of the books, instead some random pics.
Wouldn't it be easier to use the md5 of the file, rather than the filename? That way you can rename it any way you want, it'll still be the same ASIN.
Edzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #111
TonytheBookworm
Addict
TonytheBookworm is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 2, kindle 3, Kindle fire
Just curious. Will this also allow for the book details to show up when you do highlights and paste to facebook/twitter? I have been trying to figure out how to use the amazon thumbnail thing on non-amazon purchased books. I was hoping I could simply put in the asin in the isbn field or something
TonytheBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #112
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheBookworm
Just curious. Will this also allow for the book details to show up when you do highlights and paste to facebook/twitter? I have been trying to figure out how to use the amazon thumbnail thing on non-amazon purchased books. I was hoping I could simply put in the asin in the isbn field or something
Unfortunately no. After much experimentation, I came to the conclusion that for the correct cover image to show up for the highlight sharing feature, the eBook has to be in your Amazon archive. Adding a 113 header record (that contains a valid ASIN) and a 501 (CDETYPE) header record that contains 'EBOK' is just not enough to "fool" Amazon into thinking it's anything other than a "Personal Document." Sorry, but only the "Furthest Page Read" synchronization between devices seems to work.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #113
m0ngr31
Connoisseur

Yeah, I tried it with one of mine, and even with a legit ASIN number it won't work. I tried sharing to twitter, it said it worked, but when I'd click on the link, it wouldnt work. And nothing would be saved in my amazon profile.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #114
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Those are the exact same results I had with Twitter, M0nger. I didn't try Facebook, but... strike that... I won't try Facebook, but I'd expect the same results.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #115
TonytheBookworm
Addict
TonytheBookworm is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 2, kindle 3, Kindle fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Unfortunately no. After much experimentation, I came to the conclusion that for the correct cover image to show up for the highlight sharing feature, the eBook has to be in your Amazon archive. Adding a 113 header record (that contains a valid ASIN) and a 501 (CDETYPE) header record that contains 'EBOK' is just not enough to "fool" Amazon into thinking it's anything other than a "Personal Document." Sorry, but only the "Furthest Page Read" synchronization between devices seems to work.
Well, I would agree with you on the Has to be in the Archive but I have seen it otherwise. I was given a book in mobi format from someone and used calibre to put it on my kindle and the book descriptions and cover images worked. I did not have the book in my archives on amazon. So there has to be something embedded in the meta-data or something.
TonytheBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #116
m0ngr31
Connoisseur

Well, it will work for cover art, description, and even syncing if it has a ASIN number, but you cannot share a passage with Twitter/Facebook, or synchronize your "clippings" to your Amazon profile unless that book is in your Archive.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #117
STrucks
STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I added the ASIN and EBOK fields and it wouldn't even allow it to share to facebook or Twitter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-59312.gif
Views:	281
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	66150  

Last edited by STrucks; 02-05-2011 at 07:32 PM.
STrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #118
m0ngr31
Connoisseur

Even with the correct ASIN number, it will not share with twitter or facebook. The only thing it will do is keep track of your position across devices, and sometimes help your android phone or iPhone get the correct cover for the book.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #119
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I added the ASIN and EBOK fields and it wouldn't even allow it to share to facebook or Twitter.
And it probably won't. That's what we're saying.
This technique allows you to maintain your "place" in a non-amazon mobi when you read it on different devices. That's really about it.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #120
Kerenon
Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Kerenon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzilla View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to use the md5 of the file, rather than the filename? That way you can rename it any way you want, it'll still be the same ASIN.
Adding the md5 sum of the file to the header modifies the file, so the md5 sum changes in the process.

Last edited by Kerenon; 02-06-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Kerenon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, sideloading, sync "furthest page read", whispernet, whispersync