Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
Ondra
Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle3
Help with cross compile

Hello, i would like to compile Tucnak (ham radio contest logging sofware) for my kindle... This need standard library glib and gthread. I start with compile glib in scratchbox. I got error that glib need pkc-config:

checking for pkg-config... no
configure: error: *** pkg-config not found. See http://www.freedesktop.org/software/pkgconfig/

Can anyone help me how to solve this problem ??

Or can anyone compile this sw for me ?
(There are configure params: libzia: --without-gtk --without-sdl --without-png --without-ftdi --without-bfd
tucnak: --without-gpm --without-sndfile --without-alsa --without-hamlib
--without-fftw3 --without-portaudio)
Ondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Lots of ways you could reach your end result of Tucnak on K3.

Is this the only time you will ever, in your life, want to compile or cross-compile something?
If no - this one sounds like it might be a good "starter project" - people here can probably help.

If yes - well then you have a few options -

You might be able to find pre-compiled binaries in Linux distributions that would "just work", such as:
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/tucnak2

From the looks of that screenshot in the upper right (and some of your configure args) I think you will also need a terminal emulator (so the k3 keyboard will work).
I am assuming from your profile that your target is the K3 - if not, tell us which "Kindle".

A good starting point would be a better description of what you want to achieve and how you want to reach that goal.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Ondra
Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Ondra is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Hi, this is my first try for K3, but i have some experiences with cross compiling and developing under linux..

I have already working terminal on my K3 (myts). The goal will be run tucnak from this terminal on K3...
Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
debian would be the least resistance (running Xephyr?) probably.

The CodeSourcery 2007q3 TC would be the native choice...
newer ones can be coaxed into service also, with caveats...

I checked and there is a private i386? repo as well as the older debian offering.

Quote:
Debian packages

NOTE: You can use my debian package repository, add
deb http://ok1zia.nagano.cz/debian/ok1zia binary-i386/
deb-src http://ok1zia.nagano.cz/debian/ok1zia source/
to your /etc/apt/sources.list
You could go down the build from source route on the device itself inside debian. that is one option I suppose.

But there is an armel version in debian. I grabbed it down to have a look. seems simple enough two bins, a soundmanager and the app bin.

You say a command line version.. however...
if you don't want to do that. There is a pile of info on TC and resources on the KEK thread.

There is additionally research now to show how to build (with support of)
alsa
and gtk or sdl
and fftw3

already on this forum so perhaps a frankensteins monster buildroot setup could be your friend. I notate that on the BUILDING GTK thread

Hope that helps

Last edited by twobob; 01-02-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: options. details. links
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Ondra

Download for latest version is here:
http://tucnak.nagano.cz/download.php

I successfully tested latest version from kindle terminal by ssh to another mashine.. All looking OK..

There is only 2 libraries (glib and gthread) needed to compile tucnak, functionality will be limited due hw limitation of kindle..
Old 01-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

CQ, CQ, CQ

Would you care to attach your build for the Kindle to your post?
The common routine here is to attach it to your lead (post #1) of the thread.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
Ondra

I have't kindle build.. I tested app only from my terminal on kindle to another linux PC by ssh.. Keyboard and all working OK... Nex goal will be kindle build and run tucnak directly from kindle.. But i have still problem with pkg-config library in my toolchain..
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

twobob would probably be the best one to help you with that.

Also, I think he was going to take a look at building it for the community. Of course, I can't be making promises for him.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondra View Post
But i have still problem with pkg-config library in my toolchain..

I already did cover that... kinda...

Quote:
so perhaps a frankensteins monster buildroot setup could be your friend. I notate that on the BUILDING GTK thread
Check the thread.

That lists how I currently manage the pkg-config issue....
essentially I let buildroot do much of the "spade-work", run through a few helpful builds in the 2007q3 Toolchain - via buildroot.

the reference the actual pkg-config and .pc includes of that instance...
(I also hack in other stuff from later toolchains if I am desperate)

Then I mangle that all into one big lump and throw it at the c.

Hope that helps somewhat. Niluje also has an excellent x-tools config on his big thread that wont help directly with this issue but illustrates other approaches.

Cheers.

Last edited by twobob; 01-03-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: tone
Old 01-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #10
Ondra

I have successfull build but program not working... I'm getting "Forcing core dump" when i'm trying run tucnak from kindle.. Where can i find dump ?? Does anyone have strace for kindle3 ??
Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondra View Post
I have successfull build but program not working... I'm getting "Forcing core dump" when i'm trying run tucnak from kindle.. Where can i find dump ?? Does anyone have strace for kindle3 ??
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=87

There are lots more copies..
Old 01-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
twobob

From the code...
Quote:
static inline void force_dump(void)
{
fprintf(stderr, "\n\033[1m%s\033[0m\n", "Forcing core dump");
fflush(stderr);
raise(SIGSEGV);
exit(1);
}
which is called like:

Quote:
yadayada
fprintf(stderr, " realloc1: usage count is %d: %p @ %s:%d (allocated %s:%d)\n", cnt, p, file, line, ah->file, ah->line);
force_dump();
and

Quote:
void int_error(char *m, ...)
{
va_list l;
free_all_itrms();
va_start(l, m);
sprintf(errbuf, "\033[1mINTERNAL ERROR\033[0m at %s:%d: ", errfile, errline);
strcat(errbuf, m);
er(1, errbuf, l);
force_dump();
}
and 4ish other flavours of handling

so the lines JUST PRECEDING the call to the dump dumper should give the ACTUALLY helpful error message content...

In fact as a general rule just quoting a tiny part of some error without sharing the right parts of it is actually less than useless. It makes the job harder. as you probably know often one error message can be cascaded as a result of previous errors...

http://tucnak2.sourcearchive.com/doc...8c-source.html (or similar - pick your right version) would appear to be good place to look for error handling methodologies within the application.

Hope it helps... FWIW sharing your work "so far" is never a terrible idea if you get stuck.

Last edited by twobob; 01-05-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
twobob

[root@kindle root]# filechecker /mnt/debian/usr/bin/tucnak
Quote:
copying /mnt/debian/usr/bin/tucnak to /mnt/us/export/tucnak/bin/tucnak
Searching 470 user libs, 58 libs, 16 extended dirs
Spoiler:

libm.so.6
kindle supported at /lib/libm.so.6
/lib support detected

libutil.so.1
kindle supported at /lib/libutil.so.1
/lib support detected

libusb-0.1.so.4
non native result /mnt/debian/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libusb-0.1.so.4

libgthread-2.0.so.0
kindle supported at /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0.2200.2
/usr/lib support detected

librt.so.1
kindle supported at /lib/librt.so.1
/lib support detected

libglib-2.0.so.0
kindle supported at /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0.2200.2

libSDL-1.2.so.0
non native result /mnt/us/usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0

libpng12.so.0
kindle supported at /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0.12.0

libsndfile.so.1
non native result /mnt/us/usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1

libasound.so.2
kindle supported at /usr/lib/libasound.so.2

libftdi.so.1
non native result /mnt/debian/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libftdi.so.1

libgcc_s.so.1
kindle supported at /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
/lib support detected

libpthread.so.0
kindle supported at /lib/libpthread.so.0
/lib support detected

libc.so.6
kindle supported at /lib/libc.so.6
/lib support detected

Quote:
Export complete at /mnt/us/export/tucnak ensure you run tucnak like: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib ./tucnak
hmm - let me see what that came up with...

EDIT: Meh no... too many higher GLIB calls..

I have it running WITHIN debian on the device no problem...

but.. on export...
[root@kindle bin]# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./tucnak
Quote:
./tucnak: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by ../lib/libglib-2.0.so.0)
./tucnak: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.9' not found (required by ../lib/libglib-2.0.so.0)
./tucnak: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.8' not found (required by ../lib/libglib-2.0.so.0)
it would have to be built. (or used via debian...) Sorry. I gave it a shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_074.png
Views:	267
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	98818  

Last edited by twobob; 01-05-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
twobob

I have added one for the TOUCH here...

as this is possible with the work done so far.
This works no problem on the touch.

I also dug around...

http://tucnak.nagano.cz/wiki/Command_line
-i - print informations about detected hardware
-s - print build configuration (settings file)
etc...

http://tucnak.nagano.cz/wiki/Variables
TUCNAK - directory to store tucnak informations. Normally $HOME/tucnak. Precedence over HOME
TUCNAK_DEBUG - if this variable is set then debug information is written to stderr. If you can define file name to save debug information you must refill this variable.

[root@kindle bin]# TUCNAK_DEBUG=1 HOME=/mnt/us/tucnak/ DISPLAY=:1 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ./tucnak -s
Quote:
------ Settings: --------
Spoiler:
version: tucnak2-2.47
prefix: /usr
sharedir: /usr/share/tucnak2
interface: ifconf
compiler: gcc 4.6
sizes: int=4, long=4, long long=8, void*=4
endianity: little
CFLAGS: -g -O2 -pthread -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/libpng12
LDFLAGS: -z now
LIBS: -lm -lutil -lusb -pthread -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglib-2.0 -L/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi -lSDL -lpng12 -lsndfile -lasound -lftdi
libc: yes glibc 2.13 (2.13)
libglib2: yes 2.32.0
libsdl: yes 1.2.15
libpng: yes 1.2.47
iconv: libc
libgpm: disabled
libsndfile: yes 1.0.25
alsa: yes 1.0.25
libftdi: yes 0.20 new
libhamlib: no
libfftw3: no
ppdev: yes
pedantic: no
leak debug: no
instrument: no
opts: -O2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_074.png
Views:	257
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	98821   Click image for larger version

Name:	tucnak2 2.47_075.png
Views:	246
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	98823  
Attached Files
File Type: gz tucnak-kindle-touch.tar.gz (2.36 MB, 200 views)

Last edited by twobob; 01-05-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #15
Ondra

Tucnak working..

There is first working build on my K3. To install make directory tucnak in your kindle put content of attached zip inside. Run myts and go to tucnak directory and ./run

In Tucnak switch to bw mode - F10 menu and then Setup -> Terminal options.

There is problem with colors, bw mode is not 100% ok and need some work to make it 100% compatible with kindle display..

But tucnak working on kindle...
Attached Files
File Type: zip tucnak.zip (1.05 MB, 167 views)