Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #61
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll third Expecting Someone Taller.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #62
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
If we area going to be that picky about the category I'm pretty sure The Princess Bride wouldn't be categorized as "humor". The film may be a romantic comedy, but the book's main category is "fantasy" and not much in the description indicate otherwise (even though I'm sure those of you that are familiar with it are right).

Whether a book is funny or not is definitely a matter of opinion and I'm pretty sure there are books nominated here that I won't find the least bit entertaining and others (nominated or not) that are not strictly "humor", but rather satire or just plain good entertaining writing (I like well written non-fiction) that will have me chuckling away.

If three people agree that a nomination is OK it's good enough for me!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #63
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Personally I wouldn't read anything by L Ron Hubbard if you held my feet to the fire, but the diversity of taste is what makes these things so interesting in these polls.
Also people's diversity to pain tolerance with regards to reading books is interesting. If someone held fire to my feet, I'd read anything.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #64
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I'll second Idle Thoughts....
You scared me. When I first glanced at that post, I thought it began "On second thought...."
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #65
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I'll third Expecting Someone Taller.
And that makes 10. The nominations are not closed, and the preliminary voting poll will soon be up.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #66
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Also people's diversity to pain tolerance with regards to reading books is interesting. If someone held fire to my feet, I'd read anything.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #67
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

The Preliminary Voting Poll is now up. The vote this month is hidden.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooblues View Post
I guess the definition of funny is subjective. To some satire is funny. The nice thing is that one persons definition does not rule. If three people would categorize something as funny, and it has been determined to be satire, I guess it should qualify for the month of April.
I know when a book is trying to be funny yet I don't find it so. I never found this to be remotely funny and I never found it actually trying to be funny. It's not satire. It's just really bad SF. That's all it is plain and simple. Just because you've managed to fool two others into believing it is satire doesn't make it so. Sorry, but it's not a humorous type book at all. It's just pulp SF at it's worst.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Personally I wouldn't read anything by L Ron Hubbard if you held my feet to the fire, but the diversity of taste is what makes these things so interesting in these polls.
I have read it and it is that bad and it's not satire.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
JSWolf, I was going to give you karma point for pertinacity, but the minimum is two. Sorry.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #71
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please say that the Hubbard book isn't appropriate for April so we can do away with it.

I have read it and it's not a satire or funny. It's SF plain and simple. Fantastic Fiction agrees with me. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/...aders-plan.htm. Overdrive also agrees. http://search.overdrive.com/ti/e9788...on-earth-ebook Let's go for WorldCat as another source that says it's just SF. http://www.worldcat.org/title/invade...=brief_results

So unless someone can find a definitive source that says it's a satire, it's not and never will be.
Dianetics would be a better choice for humor month. But it's not that funny either, just pathetic.

What is funny was the look on the young man's face at the Dianetics Center when I asked him if it was true that Charles Manson was a dianetic clear.

Spoiler:
It is true.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote