Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
gloopy
gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle WiFi, eco reader (Hanlin v3) - broken screen
Thumbs down Eco Eclipse / Hanlin V5 "Nand-Flash scan program" screen

So, I finally got my e-reader just in time to take with me on holidays ........ halfway through the holidays I get this message on the screen:
-------------------------------------
Nand-Flash scan program

All the program/ data will be erased!!
It will take a long time.
Please update after scanning.

Press "OK" to Continue.
-------------------------------------

I've pressed OK (actually I've pressed all of the buttons numerous times by now), I've tried turning it off - nothing happens, the message remains. It's currently been showing this message for over two weeks. Previous to this, after turning approx. 10 pages it would refuse to continue and I'd have to exit the book and go back in (is that a common problem?). I also found that if I turned the reader off it would erase the 'recent files' ....... is that normal?

Has anyone had this problem? Or know what can be done?

Did I happen to get a lemon?
gloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Well sounds like it is trying to do a firmware update (I assume this is happening when it starts up??). The process for updating firmware is to hold the top page-turn button on the left, so perhaps the button is stuck a little.

I would try a reflash the firmware and see if that fixes it, if not I would contact seller.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
gloopy
gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.gloopy knows what's going on.

Thanks for trying to help. I tried your suggestion - nothing happened, it's still displaying the message. I can't even seem to turn it off. I guess I'll contact the seller - might be better to do that than muck around with it.

All of my friends that I sold on it might think again now .....
Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
did you try updating it?
do you have access to the content from your pc?
removing the battery?
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
gloopy

I did try removing the battery - the message stays on the screen.

Other than that we've been a bit busy here in QLD lately trying to avoid the sharks in the street. Haven't been able to contact the seller yet between the person that handles the situation being on holiday and power outages ....... I'll try again next week.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
gloopy

I ended up returning the reader to the seller. I was told they'd reflash it - I'm guessing they didn't as all of the data I'd put on there was still on there. Anyway, it was working again.............. kind of .......... some files it would still refuse to read after a certain page (I checked and they were fine on the computer).

Using the SD card seemed hopeless. The SD card seemed to become corrupt while it was in the reader. I did wonder if it was the SD card but I'd transfer to the SD card from the computer, check the SD card - everything was fine, folders and files all ok - put the SD card in the reader, all of a sudden folders and files are gobbeldy gook, check the SD card in the computer, yep totally RS.

Reading the epub format means you lose the page numbers at the bottom which is annoying - I like to know where I am in a book. Mind you, when the page numbers were shown in .lit, they were often wrong - eg. for the last 200 pages of the book the total number of pages didn't change.

Bookmarks didn't work the way I expected - as soon as you exited the book, they were wiped. And as for 'Recent Files' - that was only since you'd turned it on.

Quite often my reader would simply freeze and refuse to turn a page for several minutes.

This was my first reader, so maybe all of these glitches are to be expected.

Anyway, although my experience with this particular one was very annoying at times, I really did enjoy the convenience (when it was cooperating) of having a few novels on hand in one small package and the battery life was fantastic. My fight with this one is over as I went on a weekend trip and it didn't make it home with me, now I'm looking to replace it.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
When reading an epub, if you want the page number, just hit the Ok button, and the page number will come up on the bar at the bottom (only while you have the menu up), but it is better than nothing I suppose.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
gloopy

Aha! That would have been handy to know at the time. Now that I've got the v3 maybe it'll work the same way.

Tags
eclipse, eco, hanlin, nand-flash, problem