Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Marx
Marx began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone
Pdf import

I can't finds subject dedicated to this plugin.
I want to convert pdf which has hard end of lines. How to tell plugin to join all lines between for example commas?
I use tts plugin to listen books and it's very annoying to listen such badly converted books.
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I moved the thread to the Conversions sub-forum. Start by reading the sticky posts at the top of this forum and see if they can help you.

Read this before Posting PDF Questions

How to ask a question about conversion problems

I think by adjusting the unwrap factor in the PDF input section you can tweak how well the lines get corrected.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Marx - Why convert the PDF at all, why not use the Adobe Read Out Loud gadget to read the original PDF?

Not saying it will work for you - but it might, its worked for me. And there are other products that claim to do text to speech on PDF's for Mac & Windows.

Also there are a number of text to speech apps for Android that say they'll read from a PDF - I've not tried any. And it apparently comes as part of the furniture with IOS 5

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You need to use the view text function of the pdf viewer you use to see how good a job was done in the first place on the underlying text.

A pdf is not a Swiss Army knife designed to be all things to all people. It is a way to view/print a document in a fixed layout on a page. The underlying text can be jumbled to perfectly straightforward depending how much care was taken creating the document and how heavily formatted they wanted to make it.

Many older pdfs have the text added after the fact primarily so they can be searched. Many are have considerable errors which can not be fixed by just converting them. A pdf read aloud program will read the text part, whatever condition it is in.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Marx

Thank you for moving thread, i wasn't sure where to put it.
I don't always listen to book. I mainly read them traditionally, but sometimes I have to listen (for example in car). I know I can use for example ez pdf reader which has tts ability, but reading original pdf with eyes is useless. So I would need to switch between two readers - not comfortable at all.
I will read about unwrap factor because I don't understand how to use it properly
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Mark - there's a windows program tts proggie called Balabolka that will read PDF's, it can also save what it reads to a text file.

If its able to read your PDF 'smoothly' then maybe it can create a text file that 'flows'.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
Marx

I've read links above and now I'm master of conversion
Unwrap factor together with delete empty paragraphs make it.
I had also pdf which in adobe reader were ok, but after conversion polish fonts were seriously garbled. I converted it in online service (all local converters like mobipocket and calibre converted all polish letters to the same letter) . Then I replace manually polish letters and printed it to pdf again, because text import doesn't have unwrap ability. Then one letter despite displaying everywhere ok were still garbled. I again copied pdf text to editor, replaced bad letter and saved as txt file. At last calibre converted it successfully...