Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #76
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
LOL. What derp writes those ads?

I have never seen COBOL mentioned in the Netherlands, ever. It's a 50 year old programming language that has been out of use since forever (in IT terms), except for some very special, very old software that needs to keep running for some very special reason.
hmm, since forever? I wouldn't want to volunteer to maintain the COBOL systems still in use in the Netherlands. And considering the number of vacancies popping op when doin a simple search on 'cobol programmeur gezocht' I'd say it ain't out of use by a longshot
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #77
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
hmm, since forever? I wouldn't want to volunteer to maintain the COBOL systems still in use in the Netherlands. And considering the number of vacancies popping op when doin a simple search on 'cobol programmeur gezocht' I'd say it ain't out of use by a longshot
Many of those vacancies seem to be the exact same one, listed on a bazillion sites. Some sites actually even pop up because they "fabricate" the vacancies on the basis of keywords, just to get you to their front-page.

I've been working in IT for some years now, and I never, ever encountered a running COBOL system in any company, and never met anyone who (still) knows the language.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #78
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Many of those vacancies seem to be the exact same one, listed on a bazillion sites. Some sites actually even pop up because they "fabricate" the vacancies on the basis of keywords, just to get you to their front-page.

I've been working in IT for some years now, and I never, ever encountered a running COBOL system in any company, and never met anyone who (still) knows the language.
Well, you've just met one. I just worked 64 hours (@$46 USD) since last Monday. I've been doing COBOL since May 10, 2010, with only one week vacation in the whole time period. (Before that I was unemployed as a COBOL programmer for 103 week straight...)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #79
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:

Than you probably have not worked for banks, insurance and social security companies. They still have a lot, and I mean a lot, of COBOL programs.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #80
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Than you probably have not worked for banks, insurance and social security companies. They still have a lot, and I mean a lot, of COBOL programs.
No, I didn't work for those. I mostly worked for companies that did either desktop applications (Visual Basic 6 ), websites (with me doing the PHP backend/CMS), or I write firmware for microcontrollers (mostly C, sometimes a bit of ASM).

Maybe that's the reason why I never encountered one. I wonder: are those all programs that originated in the 60's and 70's and are still in use, or are they also new programs?
Advert
Old 09-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #81
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
No, I didn't work for those. I mostly worked for companies that did either desktop applications (Visual Basic 6 ), websites (with me doing the PHP backend/CMS), or I write firmware for microcontrollers (mostly C, sometimes a bit of ASM).

Maybe that's the reason why I never encountered one. I wonder: are those all programs that originated in the 60's and 70's and are still in use, or are they also new programs?
I, for one, was writing new COBOL programs in the 90s - for a UK energy provider. I don't program any more (I wasn't very good at it in honesty), but I'm still friends with quite a number of COBOL programmers who both maintain existing programs and write new ones.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #82
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe re-write Sigil in COBOL ?

/me runs and hides
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #83
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Maybe re-write Sigil in COBOL ?

/me runs and hides
Make it funnier: basic, assembler or pascal > (And yes, I've coded in all of them )
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #84
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

I would not hesitate to use a (modern version of) Pascal. Modern versions of Pascal and Object Pascal are just as powerful as C and C++, but much less used nowadays.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #85
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Fortran IV (on punched cards)
DEC PDP8 assembler (simple stuff)
TI Basic
UCSD Pascal (basic stuff)

as well as some application specific languages
All before OOP surfaced
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #86
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:

Mostly old but some new, as they are needed. Let me give you some examples.

Charge something on your credit/debit card? The computers that store, add up you bill, and write the bill - COBOL.

Get money from an ATM? The bank keeping track of you account balance - COBOL.

The computers that clear al the trades on Wall Street, write the dividend checks, pay the bond interest, and write the proxy information - COBOL.

Life Insurance/Annutities tracking? - COBOL.

COBOL is like the barges on the Rhine/Mississippi. It doesn't matter how fast the TGV trains/airplanes are goes, the barges will still be there.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #87
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Some new, but most old behemoths.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #88
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Mostly old but some new, as they are needed. Let me give you some examples.

Charge something on your credit/debit card? The computers that store, add up you bill, and write the bill - COBOL.

Get money from an ATM? The bank keeping track of you account balance - COBOL.

The computers that clear al the trades on Wall Street, write the dividend checks, pay the bond interest, and write the proxy information - COBOL.

Life Insurance/Annutities tracking? - COBOL.

COBOL is like the barges on the Rhine/Mississippi. It doesn't matter how fast the TGV trains/airplanes are goes, the barges will still be there.
Interesting. Is it a case of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it?'
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:29 AM   #89
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Interesting. Is it a case of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it?'
The language was designed for those business-oriented types of tasks (including decimal arithmetic). There hasn't been any direct replacement for it, as far as I know. Perhaps the kind of people who enjoy designing new languages aren't interested in the business logic side of things.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:05 AM   #90
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
I would not hesitate to use a (modern version of) Pascal. Modern versions of Pascal and Object Pascal are just as powerful as C and C++, but much less used nowadays.
And if done correctly is self documanting.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote