Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
Engadget: The tale of the amazing multi-colored e-paper display

"Once upon a time, the possibility of a color e-reader seemed a reality just around the bend. As the sun set on the 2000s, though, prototypes and the potential for multi-hued e-paper devices seemed to disappear. In this issue of our weekly, Sean Buckley examines the events surrounding the once bright future of the tech and why we're still e-reading in black-and-white."

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/30/d...color-e-paper/
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
It's ridiculous that they're making us read their article as a PDF.

Anyway, the article really doesn't tell you much you couldn't have found out from regularly reading this forum. Basically color e-ink doesn't have bright prospects because of the popularity of low-cost LCD tablets, and b&w e-ink readers' declining commercial importance.

In the future I think these trends are only going to get stronger. I have a feeling that the new e-ink Kindle and Nook this year will only be incremental specs bumps, which won't make people who already have last year's model want to upgrade.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Last year some companies introduced their lighted models. This year I cannot imagine anything new or innovative enough concerning eInk readers to entice me to buy one. I think the eInk market will stick around for many years, but it will be in decline. The eInk readers are "one trick ponies" that are good for reading books. They suck for reading magazines, newspapers, and PDF files. These days consumers want something more than a "one trick pony" so they buy tablets instead.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
These days consumers want something more than a "one trick pony" so they buy tablets instead.
Given that the "one trick pony" can be bought for the price of a couple of hardbacks nowadays, I think they'll be around for a while.

When I used to read on paper I bought a new transport medium with every book I purchased...

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Given that the "one trick pony" can be bought for the price of a couple of hardbacks nowadays, I think they'll be around for a while.
I paid 129 euros for each of my 6" readers. A somewhat decent tablet only costs a little more, and for twice the price you get the best the market has to offer in that size. I can see why people might opt for the tablet instead. I can do so much more than just display e-books. Not as well, and that is why I do have e-ink devices, but I think the majority of average readers are just fine with tablets, especially now that high resolutions have become so affordable.

Actually, one of the reasons why I still prefer one trick ponies is because work does not follow me there. :-)
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
The last eink device I bought was the Kindle3. To read in bed, I used to have to clip a light to it and get it positioned just right so the glare wasn't bad. Then I had to make sure it wasn't shining anywhere near my sleeping wife.

I bought a Nook Tablet for less than what the Kindle cost me and I no longer had to worry about attaching the silly light. I found out I could do so much more with the Nook, so I'm on my second Nook - the HD+. Reading on an LCD screen doesn't bother me one bit like some people complain. I'll probably never buy another eink device again.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
My Kobo Glo cost about £70 I think. I can read it perfectly outside, which I can't with my iPad. It's robust, and I always place it on the arm of my chair when I put it down, which I wouldn't dare do with my iPad. I can read it in bed, because if I fall asleep and it slips on to the floor I am fairly sure it won't break, which I'm not sure my iPad would survive. I can read it for days, without having to remember to charge it, which isn't true about my iPad. It's small enough to stick in a pocket to carry it around with me, and if it gets lost or stolen it's not a huge expense to replace, which isn't true about my iPad. I can comfortably hold it in one hand to read, which I can't do with my iPad.

My iPad cost £400, and my Kobo Glo cost £70. Both have their uses, and both have their individual benefits.

I'd love a large format eInk reader though.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it's important to remember how long it took to actually develop the eink readers we have now. It wasn't just a few short years for them to come out. It took a lot longer than that. People dream about a new technology long before it becomes practical. Humphrey Davy demonstrated the idea of electric light almost 80 yrs before Tom Edison worked out a practical light bulb (if memory serves) so why should we be surprised that it takes longer than we'd like for an innovation in a new technology?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote