Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
SD cards and battery life

How much does using an SD card affect battery life? My reader has shown full charge after a week of long use including two 3 hours flights of almost constant usage. Today I put a 2 GB SD card to test and immediately my reader showed 3/4 power. Does using an SD card use a lot more power???
Thanks,
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I've noticed increased power consumption with the use of an SD card as well. I stopped using an SD card because I don't like having more than 15 books (at a time) on my reader.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Although I'd read about the battery drain increase with an SD card in, I recently bought an SD card. It's only 2 GB and I don't notice a drastic increase in battery drain. I do notice it goes to 3/4 quicker than it used to, but I went for almost two weeks without charging it, and using it daily, and it was still at about 3/4 and hadn't gone down from there. That's acceptable to me, as I generally hook it up to the computer at least once a week to download new library books anyway.

It sounds like you put the card in before charging it again, so it could be it was just ready to get down to 3/4 soon and the card just put it over the top? You could always try a test of full charge and count the hours of use until it goes to 3/4 and then charge it up again and try with the sd card. I, for one, would be very interested in your results! I'm just too busy (lazy?) to try it myself.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

LOL... I guess I was too busy myself to do real testing. I figured I would learn from others. Sounds like it may have been just a coincidence. The battery life has been so good that even if it is slightly less with an SD card I am ok with that.
Thanks,
RA
Old 05-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
OOC I'm currently just using a uSD (128M) card with an SD adapter and haven't noticed much of a battery drain increase, but plan on swapping out to a 2GB uSD (+ adapter) as soon as I pick up a uSD HC card (for another device, 4 or 8GB).

Has anyone compared their power drain experiences to using a memory stick v. an SD card? (If those are better, I'll just pick up a MS... and leave the uSD for it's current device as just another card...)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
I used 8 gig SD cards and MS cards and have never experienced reduced battery life. I personally think it's just a myth.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
I used 8 gig SD cards and MS cards and have never experienced reduced battery life. I personally think it's just a myth.
I kind of have to agree. I've used a 2gb SD card and a 4gb MS and haven't noticed anything different than having no card. If there's a drain, it's extremely slight.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
radamo
Addict

Thanks everyone. I have been using a 2gb SD card for a few days now and notice no difference. Or at least so far I have not seen a drop in available power.
RA
Old 05-07-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I don't notice a difference in battery life with my reader either.

But, I think it might depend on the SD card. I have a phone that takes mini-SD cards. When I put one in it, I definitely noticed a significant decrease in the battery life of my phone.l I changed to a different mind-SD card, and the battery life was definitely better.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I don't notice a difference in battery life with my reader either.

But, I think it might depend on the SD card. I have a phone that takes mini-SD cards. When I put one in it, I definitely noticed a significant decrease in the battery life of my phone.l I changed to a different mind-SD card, and the battery life was definitely better.

dordale

Hi dordale,

in order to help us other users, it would be great if you could post the exact brand an make of each (draining and not draining) SD-Card.

Thanks!
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:07 AM   #11
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Actually Memory cards did have a dramatic effect on the battery life of the e-reader. This was more noticeable with the previous version of Sony's firmware. As a result I stopped using memory cards as well. The memory card effect may no longer be an issue with the newer version of Sony's firmware.

I have heard that the new firmware has resolved the battery issue althoughI have no first hand experience to confirm this.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbadar View Post
Hi dordale,

in order to help us other users, it would be great if you could post the exact brand an make of each (draining and not draining) SD-Card.

Thanks!
Rasbadar--You're right it would be helpful! Unfortunately, I can only answer half to the question--the "good non-draining" card I have in my phone right now is a Kingston. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the previous card that drained the battery was. Can't find it anywhere.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote