Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #121
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
See, I don't think it is, though (an industry term). At least not the industry that manufactures and/or sells the devices. That's why I believe it's a media term. A print-only word that consumers/manufacturer's/retailers don't really use. Which I find a bit odd. It's like the Weather Channel still insisting on naming winter storms when no one else is going for it. Oh, well.
I googled "phablets" and this is the first thing that comes up at the top of the page:

Click image for larger version

Name:	phablets.png
Views:	190
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	118079

I would think htc, Nokia and Amazon all paid for those ads. I don't think they'd ordinarily use the term in one of their glossy high-profile ads, but it's nevertheless an industry-wide term among the media, manufacturers, retailers, and industry analysts. Like it or not, it's here to stay.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 01-18-2014 at 04:17 PM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #122
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Like it or not, it's here to stay.
To stay?? C'mon, this is the tech industry we're talking about, right? I'll easily outlive the use of the word phablet... and probably whatever next silly term is used to describe the latest mobile device trend.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #123
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Hi Apk, you tell me ...
I must admit, I am somewhat surprised how many huge freaking Notes and other monstrosities I see clipped to people's belts. I feel like I'm at some carnival freakshow!

But, err..all those quote are still about growth (if they only sold 1 last year and sold 10 this year, that's 1000% growth) and predictions for later this year, nothing saying that they are currently the best sellers or more popular in terms of numbers. So maybe it's too early in the year to call a winner...?

(but I have a 12 pack of DP chilling just in case....)

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #124
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
there's going to be a backlash against being weighed down by all this junk. maybe.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #125
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Ehh, Diversity and choice can only benefit us consumers. I will never give up my Note 2 with its 5.5 inch screen that allows me to read comfortably and if I need to make or receive a phone call. It fits into all of my pockets and is light enough that I can hold it with one hand.

It is a very comfortable all in one machine for me and I guess many others. Don't like it? That's cool no one is twisting your arm forcing you to buy one. And those of us who have one don't care what it is called so long as the machines do what we need them to do!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #126
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
But, err..all those quote are still about growth (if they only sold 1 last year and sold 10 this year, that's 1000% growth) and predictions for later this year, nothing saying that they are currently the best sellers or more popular in terms of numbers. So maybe it's too early in the year to call a winner...?

(but I have a 12 pack of DP chilling just in case....)
Not impressed so far? Well, we can wait till the iPhablets come out this Fall! I'll supply the snacks.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #127
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Phablet will disappear. The term I mean. Soon they'll simply be known as "smartphones" like everything else because they will be pretty dominant. I don't doubt that even Apple will eventually get into the game and come out with a "phablet size" device (and claim that they thought of it first of course).
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #128
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Phablet will disappear. The term I mean. Soon they'll simply be known as "smartphones" like everything else because they will be pretty dominant. I don't doubt that even Apple will eventually get into the game and come out with a "phablet size" device (and claim that they thought of it first of course).
Funny after the 3.5" is the best size, and then 4" is just perfect for the hand size as your thumb can reach the corner (forgetting that hands come in a wide array of sizes...). How will they spin the iphablet? Other than "magical and revolutionary, and the best iphone yet, and this changes everything again", of course...
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #129
SandyLu562
SandyLu562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SandyLu562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SandyLu562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SandyLu562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SandyLu562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SandyLu562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SandyLu562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SandyLu562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SandyLu562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SandyLu562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SandyLu562 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
It's so cool to be using the communication devices from the Star Trek spinoffs!

Phablet sounds better to me than I-Pad, but then I'm female and a pad is something totally different to me ;p
SandyLu562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #130
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Funny after the 3.5" is the best size, and then 4" is just perfect for the hand size as your thumb can reach the corner (forgetting that hands come in a wide array of sizes...). How will they spin the iphablet? Other than "magical and revolutionary, and the best iphone yet, and this changes everything again", of course...
They could always claim that their phablet was the perfect size for those who preferred to use their phone with two hands while the 4" iphones were still the perfect size for one-handed use.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:23 AM   #131
mikeQ
mikeQ began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Phablets are maybe the future but in my opinion are too big...
mikeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #132
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's the main reason I'm still happily using my iPhone 4 even though it's approaching its 4th birthday now - I just find the modern Smartphones to be too big.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #133
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I think the word phablet is unlikely to stick around. It won't survive if people in the real world don't use it. It's just a larger sized phone, customers won't see it as a distinct category.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #134
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
And I'm still using my ancient Nokia, which fits in my pocket, and as far as I can tell it's just a phone. My internet use is not great, but my computing use--image and video processing, editing and so on as well as writing--demands a heavy duty unit with large memory (I have 3 terabytes in mine), fast keyboard, lots of USB ports for the cameras and so on, and big screen (due to elderly eyes.)

I had an iPad and never really used it for anything; now it's moved on to a family member who does use it. Tablet, phablet, schmablet. Not this little black duck.*

(Daffy, that is...)
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #135
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
I would never use a "phablet", or anything else which would vibrate and make a noise every time anyone rings, texts, e-mails or whatever me while I am snuggled up all cosy reading a book!
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote