Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #16
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I've noticed WiFi has a habit of crashing and not loading if it tries to wake up from sleep mode. The Airplane toggle turning WiFi on and off does not cause any problems, but turning it on with the Home screen widget or Settings will cause the WiFi app to crash. It also seems to have kept my Kobo crashing too - by setting the sleep policy to 'Nver Sleep while Plugged In' and toggling airplane mode on when I'm away from a power cord and not actively using WiFi, I've had no lockup issues.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #17
wmacphail@gmail.
wmacphail@gmail. began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Book
I am having the same issue. I let the unit go to sleep, a few minutes later Death Nap for Kobo. I have wifi set to never sleep. This is really an issue. Makes the device untrustworthy and is pretty embarrassing when I'm trying to show it off to someone.
wmacphail@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Just had the problem myself a couple times. Both times I was away from the device so I am unsure how long it was asleep but both times it was charging. Wifi is set to stay on while charging.

Each time I pressed the power button and it simply never woke up. I was forced to hard reboot.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #19
ronin688
Enthusiast
ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ronin688 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: REB-1100/ EBW-1150
This is the only issue I've seen which is a deal breaker for me. I'm holding off on buying until I see that this can be resolved with software/firmware.

I tend to sleep/wake cycle my ereaders a maybe unusual amount. I'll watch hockey and read in the commercials and stoppages in play, sometimes for less then a minute at a time. I may sleep/wake 50 times in a night.

I am reading using the Kobo app on my HTC Desire atm and it has never crashed on wake.

I do see there are workarounds, I just want to see if there is a response from Kobo regarding the issue before I buy.
ronin688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #20
emo_mike
emo_mike began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
So, it happened to me again. This time around, as some other users recommended i left the wifi off. Las time I used the wifi was yesterday evening around 6pm. Overnight, I did not charge the vox and just left it in sleep mode. This morning it awoke from sleep mode no problem, but the problem occurred when I tried to turn on wifi. It froze the tablet and i was able to hold the power buttom down until it looked like the vox turned off however, it would not power back up, forcing me to do a hard reset.

I have to admit that seeing how many people are having this particular problem leaves me concerned that the kobo team did not find out about this problem before the release. Anyways, I think I'll be taking it back to best buy today and exchanging it for another.
emo_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #21
Fireci
Fireci began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Problem again. Wifi was off. Woke the unit this morning, worked fine. I tapped the power button to turn off the screen and left it for 2 hours, tried to wake it again, no go. Had to do a hard reset.

Once again, Wifi was turned off and the Sync was turned off from the Power widget. Starting to get frustrated with it.

Last edited by Fireci; 11-04-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Fireci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #22
NDRisk
NDRisk began at the beginning.

I've been having an issue that I believe others here have mentioned.

When I put my kobo vox to sleep it turns the Wifi off (as it is set to do) but often when I wake it up the wifi fails to startup again. Even trying to start the wifi from the settings menu doesn't work. Re-starting the kobo fixes the issue, but I shouldn't have to do that!

I've currently set the wifi to stay on all the time, however I'm concerned it will affect the battery life substantially.

EDIT: Setting the Wifi to always on, and using the wifi widget to turn the wifi off before I put it to sleep did not solve the problem. When I wake up the device and try to turn the wifi on it won't.

Is this a firmware issue, or should I exchange my vox?

Last edited by NDRisk; 11-05-2011 at 04:04 PM.
NDRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #23
Fireci

Even with turning off the Wifi before putting the Vox to sleep, it occasionally won't start back up about 50% of the time. I've tried various combinations of settings and I'm having no luck.

I have a week left to return the unit for a full refund. Is this something the Vox team is working on or do I have a faulty unit? I have an outstanding Incident ticket #111103-000239 which I have yet to get a reply or response from.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #24
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I am sure this is high on their list, but whether a fix will be in the next update, or when that update will happen is something a Kobo staff person will have to address.

I do know that when my Vox wouldn't turn on, pressing the power button and holding it down for 15 seconds, releasing it, and then doing a normal start up press worked for me. I was lucky, I was pretty sure I knew what had started this happening for me, and I was able to undo it and eliminate the problem.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #25
Fireci

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I am sure this is high on their list, but whether a fix will be in the next update, or when that update will happen is something a Kobo staff person will have to address.

I do know that when my Vox wouldn't turn on, pressing the power button and holding it down for 15 seconds, releasing it, and then doing a normal start up press worked for me. I was lucky, I was pretty sure I knew what had started this happening for me, and I was able to undo it and eliminate the problem.
How did you undo the problem? I have to do the whole "hold for 15 seconds and restart" everytime it happens (which is like 3 or 4 tims per day).
Old 11-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #26
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My problem was a bad install of something, so I just uninstalled. It may be that I never had it before because I have the advancedwifilockfree.apk app installed (no need to mess with settings).

This is a known issue with Android 2.3.3, btw. Kobo may have a work around to give us, but it is not really a Kobo thing, from what I can tell. No guarantees that the app does the trick, of course, because there can be other causes (like there was for me).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #27
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
That was fun. Even holding power down for 15 seconds did not fix it, and I had to use Vol Up+ power to restart. At this rate, I may have to return it as immnow wondering how long this will continue before it stops starting up forever.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #28
NDRisk
NDRisk began at the beginning.

It's truly annoying having the Wifi not work after sleep, I'm going to try this advancedwifilockfree and see if that helps the problem at all.

The odd thing is that my girlfriend also had a Vox, bought it the same day, and her's hasn't had this wifi issue. It locked up once, but she's never had the wifi drop out!
NDRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #29
GreatCanadian
Enthusiast
GreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beautyGreatCanadian does all things with Zen-like beauty

NDRisk, I don't like hearing that, because when I hear stuff like that it makes me think (correctly or incorrectly) HARDWARE problem. Is your Vox set up differently than your wife's? Added apps?
GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
My problem was a bad install of something, so I just uninstalled. It may be that I never had it before because I have the advancedwifilockfree.apk app installed (no need to mess with settings).

This is a known issue with Android 2.3.3, btw. Kobo may have a work around to give us, but it is not really a Kobo thing, from what I can tell. No guarantees that the app does the trick, of course, because there can be other causes (like there was for me).
I am happy the program has worked for you. The Coby tablets also have this flaw. I even read the Lenova K1 which has Android 3.1 also suffers from this. My guess the new A1 will too. I am just relieved the program seems to be helping with this issue.

The Coby 7022 I own for 8 hours did not have this problem because the first thing after I put the market on it was this program. So it really worked for me too. Thanks for the non market link! The Coby went back because it had a battery gauge issue where it acted like a yo-yo and said it was fully charged in 20 minutes.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote