Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:31 AM   #61
stvn0
stvn0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappuccino View Post
Is there any way to restore the screensaver to orginal ads on 3.2.1?
you can delete the .assets and then deregister / register again, everything will be back to normal
Old 07-06-2011, 02:37 AM   #62
stvn0
stvn0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
when i post this post of disable ADs. i mean to provide a method i found so people will understand more of kindle, a trick that people can use to play kindle in some different way.

i like electronic staff because there're possibilities, i jailbreak my apple product not to install hacked app but found something that unusual one can do with it. for the kindle, also, i would like to find out what can i do with it, AD or no AD is not the problem i concern. like i said, it never bothers me.

now i understand there's jailbreak for 3.2.1, so people actually can do more about ADs or much more things. that is the real fun to get a electronic equipement than a real book, is it?
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #63
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvn0 View Post
however, when i reviewed the forums and found still there're quite some people are looking the way to disable the ADs, and I also did some tests and found it is actually very easy
I recommend that members wishing to remove the advertisements from their Kindle with Special Offers should just pay the fee to Amazon.

Paul Durrant
MobileRead Moderator
Old 12-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #64
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I couldn't agree more. I feel the practice is unfair to the rest of us who play by the rules and pay extra for an ad-free reader.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:32 PM   #65
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
a little more than a decade ago there was this great internet appliance called an iOpener. it was a computer/monitor all in one. they sold the hardware for $99.00 and they didn't require a service contract. the device was easily modified to by-pass their embedded OS with the addition of a 2.5" hard drive.

they lost a ton of money within the first 30 days and changed the terms of service so you could no longer buy the hardware without the service - which is what they should have done in the first place. i bought several of them and modded them - that was my introduction to Linux - hacking the iOpener.

my point - if a product is sold without a specific limit via contract then the hardware becomes fair game to the owner. the case of the iOpener really needs to be understood by a manufacturer when they sell a loss leader with plans to make up the cost on the backside in a service contract.

i highly doubt Amazon is really concerned about the loss of a percentage of the SO models no longer displaying the ads - they are making money on the units, it might not be keystone numbers, but they are profiting never-the-less. it would be foolish to take the loss unless they were going to recoupe the revenue. and simply saying that there are x amount of SO's sold means they can demand ad space for some amount based on the potential audience - it doesn't matter if the potential audience numbers and actual audience numbers don't jive, they never will - death, dis-interest, and failure after the warranty all reduce the actual vs. potential audience.

this has all been counted and re-counted so Amazon makes a profit.

Last edited by asciibaron; 12-28-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 03:59 AM   #66
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
i highly doubt Amazon is really concerned about the loss of a percentage of the SO models no longer displaying the ads - they are making money on the units, it might not be keystone numbers, but they are profiting never-the-less. it would be foolish to take the loss unless they were going to recoupe the revenue. and simply saying that there are x amount of SO's sold means they can demand ad space for some amount based on the potential audience - it doesn't matter if the potential audience numbers and actual audience numbers don't jive, they never will - death, dis-interest, and failure after the warranty all reduce the actual vs. potential audience.

This is a little too much along the lines of "It's OK to exaggerate your losses a little, the insurance companies already take that into account" for me.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:08 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Totally irrelevent. You got a $40 discount on your Kindle by agreeing to accept advertising. That was a contract that you entered into freely and willingly. You are breaking the terms of your contract by removing the ads. It's plain dishonest. If you don't want the ads, pay the $40 to remove them legitimately.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #68
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Totally irrelevent. You got a $40 discount on your Kindle by agreeing to accept advertising. That was a contract that you entered into freely and willingly. You are breaking the terms of your contract by removing the ads. It's plain dishonest. If you don't want the ads, pay the $40 to remove them legitimately.
the difference in cost is $30.00 plus applicable taxes, not $40.00 as you state.

the rest of your comment lacks legal foundation. refer to the Kindle terms and locate where it discusses the Special Offers contract. simply offering a reduced model with ads doesn't mean that you have entered into a contract and will not remove those ads (which, if you read the terms, you are not prohibited from doing).

again, Amazon has found a way to market the device that pays them twice.

if i buy the device and never remove it from the box am i breaking the terms by not seeing the special offers? will you state that since i am not using the device that is irrelevant? but i still entered into your fantasy contract and therefore am breaking said contract by not seeing the ads.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #69
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This is a little too much along the lines of "It's OK to exaggerate your losses a little, the insurance companies already take that into account" for me.
welcome to business 101. advertising expenses have been a tax write off for decades.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
the difference in cost is $30.00 plus applicable taxes, not $40.00 as you state.
It's $40 for the 3G Kindle Touch, which is what I have. ($149 for the version with special offers, $189 without it.)

Quote:
the rest of your comment lacks legal foundation. refer to the Kindle terms and locate where it discusses the Special Offers contract. simply offering a reduced model with ads doesn't mean that you have entered into a contract and will not remove those ads (which, if you read the terms, you are not prohibited from doing).
The Kindle licence agreement clearly states:

Quote:
No Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, Disassembly, or Circumvention. You may not modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Kindle or the Software, whether in whole or in part, create any derivative works from or of the Software, or bypass, modify, defeat, or tamper with or circumvent any of the functions or protections of the Kindle or Software or any mechanisms operatively linked to the Software, for example, by augmenting or substituting any digital rights management functionality of the Kindle or Software.
By removing the ads you are "modifying .... the Kindle or the software".

Quote:
if i buy the device and never remove it from the box am i breaking the terms by not seeing the special offers?
No, because in that case you are not modifying anything.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #71
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
By removing the ads you are "modifying .... the Kindle or the software".
so creating a folder is now modifying the software?

remember, every time you upload a book, you are modifying the software when you create a folder on the device. you are violating the terms, you rogue.

nothing has been circumvented, the device still polls their ads and downloads them.

Last edited by asciibaron; 12-29-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #72
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
so creating a folder is now modifying the software?

remember, every time you upload a book, you are modifying the software when you create a folder on the device. you are violating the terms, you rogue.
How is adding books to the folder provided specially and explicitly provided for that purpose a modification of the software?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #73
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
How is adding books to the folder provided specially and explicitly provided for that purpose a modification of the software?
because the you are adding folders to the software. you are modifying the device every time you add content.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Amazon provide you with a way to remove the ads legitimately should you wish to do so. Please stop trying to pretend that you're not doing anything wrong. You are. If you don't want the ads, just pay the fee ($30 or $40, depending on the model of Kindle that you have) and have done with it.

The MobileRead moderating team VERY STRONGLY DISAPPROVES of these activities.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #75
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
because the you are adding folders to the software. you are modifying the device every time you add content.
That's no more a modification of the software than a scratch on the device is. And you're choosing to ignore the fact that Amazon actually permits the addition of files to the documents, music and audible folders.
Closed Thread