Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
jaybee
Enthusiast
jaybee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Touch PRS-500
Mac user wants to delete music

As a Mac user I do not have access to the Connect software. I'm managing very well with libprs500. I have been able to load music in the reader, but I can't find any way to delete it. (Specifically I would like to delete the two pieces that came installed on the Reader.) The music I loaded showed in the window of libprs500 when it was being installed, but when I come back to it later, no music shows up. So far as I can tell, Docudesk, which I have also used, neither loads nor recognizes music.

Am I missing something? I know I can manage music on my card, but how can I get manage music on the reader itself? Help!
jaybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
I think Kovid made libprs500's command line utility more powerful than the GUI version on purpose. ;-) Type the following in a terminal window:

Code:
prs500 rm /Data/media/audio/filename.mp3
and substitute "filename.mp3" with the name of the file you want to delete.

You can also type

Code:
prs500 ls /Data/media/audio/
to get a listing of the files in the directory. This works, as far as I know, for the "audio," "books," and "images" directories.

You can also copy your own content the same way you deleted the files by substituting "cp" for "rm." Something like:

Code:
prs500 cp /home/beartard/music/mysong.mp3 prs500:/Data/media/audio/mysong.mp3
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2007, 12:57 AM   #3
jaybee
Enthusiast

Thanks! That did it.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:05 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
I think Kovid made libprs500's command line utility more powerful than the GUI version on purpose. ;-)
Actually it was because the GUI is a library management app and not intended to be SONY Reader specific, so it doesn't handle music. But yeah I do want to encourage people to use the command line ;-)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
carma54
carma54 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Mac user here: How do I remove songs and jpgs from my Sony prs500?

How do I remove songs and jpgs from my Sony prs500? I have the GUI libprs500 software program for transferring books on and off. Thanks for any and all help.

Christine (carma54)
carma54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
carma54

How do I use the command line?

I would like to use this thread to remove audio files from my sony reader 500 using libprs500. I don't know how to access the command line.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
prs500 --help
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
carma54

How I accessed the command line in libprs500

In order to access the command line interface in order to remove music off of the PRS500, I did the following:

1. I opened the Terminal.app found in applications/utilities
2. Under the "file" menu, I selected "New Command"
3. I used the following command: prs500 ls /Data/media/audio/
4. This listed the songs that were currently on my Sony PRS500.
5. I used the following command: prs500 rm /Data/media/images/(name of file).jpg to remove the song. I repeated this for each song.
6. I also used the same techniques on the following directory: prs500 ls /Data/media/images/ to get a listing of images, then using the "rm" command to remove them, one at a time.

This may seem obvious and redundant to some, but I am not a programmer and didn't have a clue as to how to go about it. I had never used the "Terminal" application before, but I did remember back in the old days of using a command prompt to access DOS, I just explored until I found something. Hope this is of some help.

Best Regards,

Christine
Old 11-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
AAV-sama
AAV-sama began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Deleting music

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
Thanks! That did it.
Actually, I didn't get it.

Sorry, I didn't really understand what you needed to do to delete the music, and I've got a bunch! How did you get it?
AAV-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #10
jaybee
Enthusiast

I don't really know if i can help further. I am not at all expert with the terminal and I stopped using the Sony a while back in favor of a Touch and then an iPad.

I just followed Beartard's guide above. Carma54's last post puts it in more detail, although her points 5 and 6 can look a little confusing. #5 ends with "jpg". Do not type "to remove the song..." Likewise # 6 ends with "images/

This is all assuming you use a Mac. I'm sure there's a way to do this on a Windows machine, but I know nothing about them.
----------
I almost forgot: libprs500 is now called Calibre. There is information here--in the manual--about installing command line tools: http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...command%20line

Last edited by jaybee; 11-12-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: addendum