Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
The Novel Network / MyPadMedia - SCAM WARNING! Selling access to a free site

WARNING !

It has just been revealed that a site called "MyPadMedia" has been selling access to feedbooks, promising unlimited downloads of new books, newspapers, comic books etc. for 50$. I'm pretty sure feedbooks needs no introduction anymore, but for any newcomers, it's a brilliant site offering thousands of PD and CC original books for free, beautifully presented in the format of your choice. MyPadMedia charged users 50$ and then re-directed them to feedbooks, with a MyPadMedia banner pasted across the top of the page.

The scam was revealed by Gear Diary, who contacted feedbooks today to verify their affiliation with MyPadMedia. Feedbooks responded immediately, taking steps to sqash this scam. Visitors coming from MyPadMedia will now see a special warning screen to inform them of the situation, and legal action has also been taken.

More details on Gear Diary who broke the story. Avoid like the plague, and spread the word !

Read the whole Gear Diary vs. MyPadMedia saga here.

UPDATE : new name for MyPadMedia : they are now operating the same scam under the name of "The Novel Network", and have created multiple websites / fake exposé pages with titles like "MyPadMedia, a big scam ?" which naturally conclude that it's in fact the best thing since sliced bread. (thanks also to Worldwalker for reporting this) Spread the word, and try to link back to this thread so it will rise in the google search results !

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-13-2011 at 11:20 AM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
THIS is piracy.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
yes, it's pretty low.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Wow, that site is charging a one time membership fee of 50 bucks now..
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
THIS is piracy.
Actually, it's probably fraud But, yes, criminal activity.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Shame on them! I see they are still in business. I hope people are taking steps to at least get the Feedbooks eBooks off their site and also to get the word out.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
What a bunch of thieves. What a bunch of filthy, stinking thieves. Not only do they steal from the poor dupes who send them fifty bucks, but then the fallout lands on Feedbooks. May the fleas of a thousand plague-infected camels take up residence in their own personal armpits. That's per armpit, not shared.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
THANKS Zelda for the HeadsUp,

Lets hope not too many got ripped off before the scam was discovered,

VERY USEFUL news / thread
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Despicable!

On another subject, I will happily sell my access to all the ebooks here at MobileRead for only two.....no, three.....doughnuts. Or a slab of bacon.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Interesting Zelda.. this coincided with an email proporting itself to being from kobobooks.com I just received. I never signed up for anything to do with Kobo stuff!..
I looked in the source and instead of being from "Kobo eReading" <newsletter@kobobooks.com> the sender is listed as "Kobo eReading" <newsletter=kobobooks.com@mcsv183.net>
Sounds like we liseuse users are getting targetted by scammers!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Actually, it's probably fraud But, yes, criminal activity.
it is douchbaggery but why criminal? Here in the US peopel can go to weather.com and get the local weather forcast and get bombarded with a bunch of ads which presumably pay for the service... Except of course that's already been payed for by taxpayers and everyone can simply go to weather.gov and get the same information without ads from the national weather service.

Weather.com aren't criminals they're just leeches who are turning a profit selling something that already belongs to the people.
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #12
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
What a bunch of thieves. What a bunch of filthy, stinking thieves. Not only do they steal from the poor dupes who send them fifty bucks, but then the fallout lands on Feedbooks. May the fleas of a thousand plague-infected camels take up residence in their own personal armpits. That's per armpit, not shared.
Since I object to thief in the copyright argument i can't sit and let you apply it to someone here. Scammer would work I think. I think someone else made a case for fraud though I'm not sure it technically meets the definition.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
They're thieves because they're stealing money from the suckers they victimize, and stealing reputation from Feedbooks, which is now being blamed for this by said victims (they're demanding refunds). It has nothing to do with copyright.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #14
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris

No but if I'm going to stand up and say use the word infringement not the word theft then I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't say call this scamming or fraud. Fraud is starting to sound better and better...
Old 06-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Interesting Zelda.. this coincided with an email proporting itself to being from kobobooks.com I just received. I never signed up for anything to do with Kobo stuff!..
I looked in the source and instead of being from "Kobo eReading" <newsletter@kobobooks.com> the sender is listed as "Kobo eReading" <newsletter=kobobooks.com@mcsv183.net>
Sounds like we liseuse users are getting targetted by scammers!
I received the same email this morning, thought nothing of it until I read your post and can confirm the relay as being mcsc183.net. I had bought an ebook from Shortcovers many months ago (now Kobo) so it didn't seem suspicious to me.

Well I for one as good practice tend to (if I receive an email offer) never click the link, I have always gone to a web browser and gone through the webpage of the company sending me the offer.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote