Have one but don't often use it because I prefer a lamp 2 1.77%
Have one but don't often use it because it hurts my eyes 2 1.77%
Have one but don't often use it because of color or light unevenness 0 0%
Other or combination of above 9 7.96%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #31
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I keep it at 4 or 5 at all times. That gives me enough of a kick when lighting inside the house is on the lower side, enough to read in bed with a side lamp, read while someone else watches TV. Its also then fine for bright sun light where a higher setting wouldn't be visible anyway, but eat more battery.

That way I don't have to mess around with the light anymore. I just want enough to take away some of the dinginess that e-ink can have in lower light conditions. I don't want glaring white to hurt my eyes. I don't even want to notice that there is a light. If it looks lit up, its turned up to high for me.

Only time this is not to be avoided is in darkness. But that is why I have a side lamp to read now.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #32
Mhtsos
Enthusiast
Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Iconia A210,Sony PRS-T1(sold),Cybook Orizon,Kobo Glo,Kindle PW2
I use it to read at night.
Mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #33
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
I use mine primarily to read in the dark. I like to turn off the lamp and read until I fall asleep; leaving the lamp on inevitably wakes me up later or makes me feel like I didn't sleep.

I'm also a little relieved that I'm not the only one who uses my lighted ereader as an impromptu flashlight/torch.
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #34
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The power was out here for almost 5 hours last night. I thought of this thread and thought: "I wish I had a reader front light!" - then I could vote on this thread AND I could have been reading more comfortably (trying to balance the torch on my shoulder while reading was quite frustrating).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #35
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The power was out here for almost 5 hours last night. I thought of this thread and thought: "I wish I had a reader front light!" - then I could vote on this thread AND I could have been reading more comfortably (trying to balance the torch on my shoulder while reading was quite frustrating).
Oh, yes! We had a hurricane warning here a few months ago and I made sure my PW was fully charged.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #36
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I find all ereaders have unacceptable contrast if used without a light, unless you happen to be in bright sunlight. I hate the dirty grey screen so I have the light on all the time just to get better contrast - never so bright that it looks like a tablet though. I never read in conditions where I wouldn't be able to read a paper book as I find that with no/little ambient light I get eye strain just as when using a tablet.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #37
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
I find all ereaders have unacceptable contrast if used without a light, unless you happen to be in bright sunlight. I hate the dirty grey screen so I have the light on all the time just to get better contrast - never so bright that it looks like a tablet though. I never read in conditions where I wouldn't be able to read a paper book as I find that with no/little ambient light I get eye strain just as when using a tablet.
I have my PW1's light on 18 all the time (nearly maximum bright). The recommendation was more light if the environment have more light. But this setting also works for me in darkness. But I do reduce the intensity when reading before cinema and reading during events held in the dark.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #38
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I leave my light on (set at 8) at all times. That provides me light to read in darkness, but it is not so bright where it is uncomfortable. I also find it good for reading in daylight with the light set at that level. My colleagues, that do not have a front lit reader, are duly impressed with the light.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #39
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I leave my light on (set at 8) at all times. That provides me light to read in darkness, but it is not so bright where it is uncomfortable. I also find it good for reading in daylight with the light set at that level.
8 is too low for me.

My light level fluctuates between 10 (living room in the evening, overhead bed lamp) and 18 (normal to bright daylight). I set it anywhere in between which makes the screen look white without making it seem lit up.

If it gets so bright outside that I need to go up to 20 or over to make the light show at all, I'll just set it to the lowest setting. If it's too bright on 10, then there isn't enough ambient light and I won't read. Turning the light down further makes reading too hard because lack of light. (Yes, indeed: in complete darkness I either don't have enough light, or it becomes too bright.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #40
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
How do they work as an emergency flashlight to locate keyholes or read posted bus schedules?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #41
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
How do they work as an emergency flashlight to locate keyholes or read posted bus schedules?
Very well
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I leave my light on (set at 8) at all times. That provides me light to read in darkness, but it is not so bright where it is uncomfortable. I also find it good for reading in daylight with the light set at that level. My colleagues, that do not have a front lit reader, are duly impressed with the light.
Finally! Someone who does the same thing! I leave mine on 8 at all times too! 7 is too dark and 9 is too bright but 8 is just right!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #43
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
It's quite useful for helping me find the little plastic box that I keep my earplugs in - it wakes me up less than putting on the bedside lamp.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #44
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Mostly to read at night, but also as a flash light during a power outage

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote