Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #1
paralleluniverse
Enthusiast
paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Question about writing on M92

I'm considering getting an M92. Can someone describe how easy it is to write using the M92.

In particular I'd like to know if it's smooth and responsive. Is it comfortable for prolonged writing? Are there any annoying quirks with writing?

I believe there's a function to bring up a blank document you can write on. Is this blank document a bunch of blank A4 pages? Or is it one long continuous page that can be extended down for as long as you wish? And is it possible to export as a PDF? Can you insert blank pages into PDFs or only annotate on top of what's on the file?

Lastly, would you suggest the M92 or Icarus eXcel for writing?

Thanks, any help in answering these questions are greatly appreciated.
paralleluniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
Kirith
schoolteacher
Kirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Onyx M92 +i62HD(m)+M92(m)x20+M90x13
M92 has a very quick touch layer. I write comfortably. Large memory can quickly form drawn text. You only have to get used to a shift of the stylus.

М92 имеет очень быстрый сенсорный слой. Мне писать удобно. Большая оперативная память позволяет быстро формировать нарисованный текст. Привыкнуть придётся только к смещению линии под стилусом.
Kirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
Hui Neng
Ebookreader
Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Hui Neng turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Nook Simple Touch - Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
I'm considering getting an M92. Can someone describe how easy it is to write using the M92.

In particular I'd like to know if it's smooth and responsive. Is it comfortable for prolonged writing? Are there any annoying quirks with writing?

I believe there's a function to bring up a blank document you can write on. Is this blank document a bunch of blank A4 pages? Or is it one long continuous page that can be extended down for as long as you wish? And is it possible to export as a PDF? Can you insert blank pages into PDFs or only annotate on top of what's on the file?

Lastly, would you suggest the M92 or Icarus eXcel for writing?

Thanks, any help in answering these questions are greatly appreciated.
Go for a Galaxy Note.
Prolonged writing: not really - scribbling is possible.
For writing notes you will have to create a blank PDF on you PC, then transfer it.
M92 is a nice reading device with some annotation/scribbling functionality.
For mainly writing there is the ASUS EA 800 with good functionality but a lousy screen.
Hui Neng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
paralleluniverse
Enthusiast
paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paralleluniverse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to get a Galaxy Note because I want an eink screen. I'll look into the Asus Eee.

So what's wrong with the M92 for writing?

Also, can you search within PDFs?

Last edited by paralleluniverse; 12-24-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Yes, you can search PDF.

M92 can be used for writing. There are 2 issues. Exactly left-right and top-down lines seem to disapear when exported to pdf. If you leave a pen cca 2 seconds close to a screen without movement, the pen goes to sleep. To make it wake up - the pen has to be placed say 10 cm away from the screen.

It is OK to write ideas, notes, underline text, etc. (No time stress situation) It is not so good to write lots of notes on lecture etc. (Time stress situation.)

So, it depends, what exactly you need. I would recomend M92 for reading and ocasional writing. I personally still use paper for writing, not M92. But I use scribling function of M92 a lot for books and scientific articles. And I use M92 scribling for manuals update when SW has been updated.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
My 5 cents.

I fully agree with "Mono" what concerns these annoying problems with the stylus (it even seems to me that the stylus driver got worse in "1.8.20121113" with respect to "1.7 20120927").

What concerns problems with horizontal and vertical lines ... there seems to exist an alternate scribbling application by "peterx" which is free from it (though I don't really know how good or bad it is).

Well, the main point to write this post is the following ...
I believe that people who need to make a lot of handwritten notes should have a look at the "Apcom Digiscribble Mobile Digital Pen M210" device (same as "Pegasus Mobile NoteTaker / Digital Pen M210", two / three years ago it costed 45 - 50 GBP, today there exist several manufacturers who make similar "Digital Pen" / "Digital Note Taker" / "Digital Notepad" e-pens).

Last edited by pepe_alter_ego; 12-26-2012 at 02:14 PM.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_alter_ego View Post
What concerns problems with horizontal and vertical lines ... there seems to exist an alternate scribbling application by "peterx" which is free from it (though I don't really know how good or bad it is).
The PeterX scribling app. is good, but it stopped working in firmware 1.8.

I hope, Onyx will fix the vertical/horizontal lines export problem one day. Until quite recently they had seemed to think there is no such problem. Let's hope Onyx will place it to the one of the top items of To Do List.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
I just purchased an M92 on eBay and am excited to receive it. Does anyone know where a "tips and tricks" guide can be found? Could you offer any advice for a new user?
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
Mono
Mono

This might be a good start.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox_M92
Old 12-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
paralleluniverse
Enthusiast

Thanks for the information.

One last question: Is it possible to add bookmarks to pages and is there an option in the menu that allows one to quickly switched between bookmarked pages, like the Kindle?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #11
Mono
Mono

I do not have Kindle, so I cannot compare...

You can add bookmarks and go to selected bookmark.