Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
SOD FIXED

I am posting this in a new thread to make it more visible.
I did the battery disconnect as requested by ZX81
to see how it might affect SOD.
All it did was slide the plug back with a fingernail and place plug on top, did not mess with the battery. Left it this way 5 mins.
I CAN NO LONGER INVOKE SOD!! I have tried putting it to sleep for 2 mins then using it, no problem. 15 min nap and it functions fine.
Left asleep for 3 hours woke bright eyed and full functioning. I had wifi on all these times and did on occasion see it flash on for a sec then off Each time it reconnected to my wife network. I have tried it in airplane mode as well with no issues.
This makes sense from my stand point in that I only got SOD after having run the battery down and having the unit die on me.
Side not to this I have now heard that people with Blackberrys that get SOD have always disconnected the battery and the problem is fixed for many months.
Is it really that easy??
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJSmith View Post
Side not to this I have now heard that people with Blackberrys that get SOD have always disconnected the battery and the problem is fixed for many months.
Is it really that easy??
The Blackberry PB problem is that once the battery gets really run down and then left for several days, it will never charge again. No sign of life. Not SOD, but Death. Apparently it needs the processor to manage the charging, but the processor can't run on a dead battery. There are tricks to bring it back, but they don't always work.

The reason I mention this is because a friend had this happen after neglecting her PB. She just gave up on it and bought a Vox because primarily she wanted to read books.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJSmith View Post
I am posting this in a new thread to make it more visible.
I did the battery disconnect as requested by ZX81
to see how it might affect SOD.
All it did was slide the plug back with a fingernail and place plug on top, did not mess with the battery. Left it this way 5 mins.
I CAN NO LONGER INVOKE SOD!! I have tried putting it to sleep for 2 mins then using it, no problem. 15 min nap and it functions fine.
Left asleep for 3 hours woke bright eyed and full functioning. I had wifi on all these times and did on occasion see it flash on for a sec then off Each time it reconnected to my wife network. I have tried it in airplane mode as well with no issues.
This makes sense from my stand point in that I only got SOD after having run the battery down and having the unit die on me.
Is it really that easy??
Please turn OFF wifi and re-test. Most people do not experience SOD if wifi is on AND wifi sleep policy is set to never.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
MegaSilver
MegaSilver began at the beginning.

WOW! This looks like it has fixed the SOD issues I was having. I pulled the back cover off (for the 1st time) and pulled the plug on the battery for 5 minutes. After putting things back and booting up again, I reset the time then did the following;

- WiFi was on (I always had to keep it on to prevent SOD)
- Put into airplane mode. Locked Vox, waited a few minutes; able to unlock.
- Let Vox sleep itself. Waited a few minutes; able to unlock.
- Changed WiFi policy to sleep when screen off
- Turned airplane mode off. Locked screen; able to unlock.
- Let Vox sleep itself; able to unlock;
- Turned WiFi off
- Locked screen, able to unlock
- Let Vox sleep itself; able to unlock.

My Vox has been on now for 2+ hours, and no SOD!!! Hopefully I can get more than 6-7 hours out of it now.

Last edited by MegaSilver; 07-19-2012 at 03:35 PM.
MegaSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Great find to the original discoverer if true! However, the imminent arrival of my nexus 7 means my vox has a future as a doorstop, sod or no. :P

[edit]: And shame on kobo tech support/engineers for not figuring this out...
Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
I still need to do some more testing but so far this seems to have fixed the SOD problem for me as well. I turned wifi off and put it in standby for a few minutes and it started back up fine.

Will do some more testing over the next day or two before I am convinced it was this simple to fix a problem I have had with my fox for the last 8 months. Either way, thanks to GJSmith for starting the new thread as I would have missed this otherwise.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
mr_nobody
Evangelist

It does seem to work...ridiculous!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Uh...maybe a dumb question but how do you remove the back cover? Is it just the black backing that you pry off? With a sharp blade? Mine seems to be on pretty firmly.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
mr_nobody
Evangelist

If you have strong fingernails, you may be able to do it...I used a small screwdriver...the back is attached with several clips all around the edges. Just do it slowly, a bit at a time and nothing should break.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
If you have strong fingernails, you may be able to do it...I used a small screwdriver...the back is attached with several clips all around the edges. Just do it slowly, a bit at a time and nothing should break.
Good to know. Thanks!
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

He hee hee he hee hee hee
Works - really does work. I'm enjoying my Vox better now !!!
suedenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
it works for me too, but I think the battery was still draining more than it should during sleep. But better than that annoying restart before. all day I've been able to read a few pages here and there.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #13
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Peterhondak you are right about the battery drain. I left mine on over night with wifi on as usual but it was dead in the morning. Never had that before. I use to go 3 days without charging.
Interesting though I still do not have SOD after having it died. Also upon restarting my vox and allowing it to sleep to see if SOD would happen I got an email yet I had not opened my email program.
I will test it over night in sleep mode and airplane mode tonight and see how it fares.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
Senior
Zealot
Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Senior can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Question Java

I was updating my Java on my desktop computer and noted Java is advertised for mobile. Should I download Java for the Vox?
Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
GJSmith
Connoisseur

java on Android

I did some googling and could not find Java that runs on android. What I did find is http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_mobile.xml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior View Post
I was updating my Java on my desktop computer and noted Java is advertised for mobile. Should I download Java for the Vox?