Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #1
hahamango
hahamango began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-T1
Post PDF Issues

I recently downloaded a few eBooks that feature foreign characters which appeared as question marks on my eReader. To get around this issue, I converted the books from epub to pdf format via Calibre. However, I've noticed a few issues when reading them:

Firstly, if I attempt to highlight a word (probably not possible since it's pdf, but I wanted to try anyway) all text disappears. I can hit the "home" button, but if I try to open a book, the pages appear as completely black. Eventually, I get a pop-up on screen saying that the "Reader App in Reader has stopped responding." This issue also occurs if I attempt to "save" after using the handwriting tool in these pdf books.

Secondly, all the text in the pdf ebooks disappears starting on page 62... The text later reappears--unfortunately not where it left off--some pages later (varies by book). The text appears fine in Calibre, so I would think that it has been converted correctly...

Has anybody else had or heard of these issues before? Or do you have any ideas on how to resolve these issues?

hahamango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You do not need to convert to PDF. The problem is that the foreign characters are not in the font on your reader. You can embed a font in your ePUB that has those characters and then it will display fine. Some use Charis SIL for that, which is a nice font.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
hahamango
hahamango began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You do not need to convert to PDF. The problem is that the foreign characters are not in the font on your reader. You can embed a font in your ePUB that has those characters and then it will display fine. Some use Charis SIL for that, which is a nice font.
That's good to know. Do you happen to know of any good guides on how to do that?
hahamango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There are various guides in the forum about that, for example in the Sigil forum. In general is boils down to adding the font to the ePUB, adding a @font-face to the stylesheet and set a font-family to for example to paragraphs in the stylesheet.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Yeah I have had those and more issues with pdf on the t1 I quit reading them on the t1 and now use my android tablet.. I have found that doing a soft reset will sometimes "fix" the problem with a particular book but it pops up again.. i also find page turning painfully slow for pdfs on the t1 as well.. I know that doesn't help much......
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #6
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahamango View Post

Has anybody else had or heard of these issues before? Or do you have any ideas on how to resolve these issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
Yeah I have had those and more issues with pdf on the t1 I quit reading them on the t1 and now use my android tablet.. I have found that doing a soft reset will sometimes "fix" the problem with a particular book but it pops up again.. i also find page turning painfully slow for pdfs on the t1 as well.. I know that doesn't help much......
You can use k2pdfopt to optimize pdf for Sony beforehand, particulary important if there is need for 100 % accuracy of scanned scientific material, because no existing OCR tool will be good enough to use its resulting OCR for creation of epub or textual pdf.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...27&postcount=3

Last edited by markom; 04-15-2014 at 07:56 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote