Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #121
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
Seems to me that there are too many issues with this update, so I will stay on 2.1.5 for as long as possible.
But will I be forced to update if I turn on WiFi, and sync with Kobo? Or is it possible to decline it?
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #122
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Just for the statistics:
On 2.3.1 and had duplicate shelves and tiny fonts on each new chapter.

Quote:
I have four words for Kobo: Any Testing At All
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #123
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Kobo - fire your testing manager, if you have one.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #124
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
How do these bugs get past the programmers & beta testers? They are so obvious.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #125
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Ran it again and it worked. Thanks for the tip!

Now---please fix the paragraph setting so I don't have huge empty spaces at the bottom of the screen all the time!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #126
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Now---please fix the paragraph setting so I don't have huge empty spaces at the bottom of the screen all the time!
Yes please!
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #127
0x55
userdefined
0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkodk View Post
Seems to me that there are too many issues with this update, so I will stay on 2.1.5 for as long as possible.
But will I be forced to update if I turn on WiFi, and sync with Kobo? Or is it possible to decline it?
Good plan, lkodk!

My initial upgrade to 2.3.1 (Glo, from 2.1.5) was via wifi. When I synced, it downloaded the update but prompted me to upgrade now or later – so, at least in my experience, it was possible to decline.

Last edited by 0x55; 12-19-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typo
0x55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #128
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I have four words for Kobo: Any Testing At All
Wiser words have never been spoken.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #129
0x55
userdefined
0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
Summarizing reasons I downgraded to 2.1.5

There are definitely some nice changes in 2.3.1, my favorite being the redesigned home screen. Unfortunately basic readability problems sent me back to 2.1.5 (plus plugin) within a day.

UNACCEPTABLE SHOWSTOPPERS
  • Reader no longer reliably remembers where I left off
  • Favorite fonts render italic as bold (possibly a font naming issue)

ANNOYANCES
  • On first opening some epubs, an unselected font flashes for a second before settling on my choice
  • Loss of "back" button (link to library screen from reading menu)
  • SD-card epub covers draw slowly (no longer cached?)
  • Progress bar added for kepub but not epub

If you haven't yet upgraded, consider a full backup first so you can revert if needed. Good luck with 2.3.1!
0x55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #130
lkodk
Connoisseur
lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.lkodk for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: PRS-505 + PRS-600 + PRS-T1 + Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x55 View Post
Good plan, lkodk!

My initial upgrade to 2.3.1 (Glo, from 2.1.5) was via wifi. When I synced, it downloaded the update but prompted me to upgrade now or later – so, at least in my experience, it was possible to decline.
Thanks 0x55! Sounds like I don't need to worry too much then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x55
If you haven't yet upgraded, consider a full backup first so you can revert if needed.
How do you perform a full backup of the reader?
lkodk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #131
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pack21 View Post
Can u sync all epub books out kobo domain (bought out kobo store), via wifi?

Elaborate more, please

Yes, all my books are from the Kobo store and I did both the updates and the download of my library with wifi
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #132
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkodk View Post
How do you perform a full backup of the reader?
Connect it to Windows (or your favourite operating system) through USB.

Create directory on your hard drive somewhere.

Select all of the files on the device's drive and copy (don't move) to your backup directory on the hard drive.

If you need to use the backup, you can delete all the files on the Kobo and copy the backup files to the Kobo drive. I did this many times when the dancing squares problem was happening (2.0?).
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #133
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x55 View Post
  • SD-card epub covers draw slowly (no longer cached?)
That is correct, but it happened in 2.1.4.

With 2.0.0 and earlier (not sure about 2.1.1), copies of the covers for all books were kept in a directory in the main memory. There were a lot of complaints about the wasted space. Plus, when the directory had more than about 8000 files in it, no more files could be added and the covers were blank or an ugly default.

From 2.1.4, the covers for books on the SD card are generated on the fly. I haven't noticed a difference between 2.1.5 and 2.3.1, but I don't use an SD card all the time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #134
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Got the update, and now my Glo won't sleep at all - no auto sleep, moi Sleep Cover sleep, and the Sleep slider doesn't put it to sleep either.

Now to see if I can reinstall the update, or whether I can find a sucker to unload what was my best ereader onto as constantly powering or on and off (among other bugs) was not why o got it on the first place.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #135
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I can't reproduce this. Most of my books seem to have the font settings, but I had a test case that that doesn't. Each chapter is just: {header code deleted}

Paging through this on the Glo works with no problems. I trawled the books to see if I could find one without that didn't set the font size anywhere. All the books from Baen do (and yes, they have all passed through calibre). The only one I could find had no styles set and in fact had no stylesheet at all. This didn't have any problems.
What I've now found is that the problem is intermittent and may not be related to the stylesheet or lack there of. I was reading A Civil Campaign also from Baen but one that I had already cleaned up, added a style sheet to replace the style header in each html file and added a re-sized cover image. Twice in the 20 chapters, I got the font size change so a 10% failure rate.

So I started opening a series of books and just paged through the chapters. The flyspeck font size happens at chapter boundaries and is not consistent -- I ran through War Maid's Choice three time and noted the issue at 2 or 3 chapters each time but different chapters each time. For now, I'm just tapping the middle of the page, font size up 1, font size down 1 and continuing on.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 12-20-2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Fat fingers commit typos...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote