Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #91
voidoid
Connoisseur
voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.voidoid solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
They don't publish the info as it isn't strictly supported. But, have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660. The link is in the last post and the instructions are near the top.
Thanks davidfor. I downloaded the zip, followed the instructions and it upgraded to 2.1.4 with no problems. Put it through its paces for a few more minutes than the last update and have had zero crashes. Looks good and page turns etc seem to be faster. Now I'm happy -- if only the Calibre update would happen.
voidoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #92
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And before anyone comments, I know I am making suggestions that might seem to be against other comments I have made today. I have no hassle with someone trying all this. My problem is with complaints when things don't work when someone is trying to short circuit the system. And I won't deny I am curious to see if what Chocky wants to do works.
OK, I won't say anything !
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #93
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrh View Post
I don't think I have missed any comments in this thread but I have seen no reference to the problem of sideloading epubs which occured with 2.0.0 having been fixed on 2.1.14. Can one of you successful 2.1.14 updaters out there tell me if this is now okay.
I would love to comment, but, I don't know which problem you are referring to. Right now, I can't think of anything that is still a problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #94
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I had a problem, which I thought was fairly common on 2.0.0, that if I added books by sideloading direct or using Calibre they wouldn't be recognized by the Touch due to an internal database problem. Carrying out a factory reset to go back to 1.9.17 and sideloading the epubs again, gave a Touch with all books available.

I think some(all?) other folk had this problem with 2.0.0. and this was the problem I was referring to.
Brianrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #95
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrh View Post
I had a problem, which I thought was fairly common on 2.0.0, that if I added books by sideloading direct or using Calibre they wouldn't be recognized by the Touch due to an internal database problem. Carrying out a factory reset to go back to 1.9.17 and sideloading the epubs again, gave a Touch with all books available.

I think some(all?) other folk had this problem with 2.0.0. and this was the problem I was referring to.
I haven't seen any sideloading issues yet. Everything I have put on it was loaded into the library with no issues.

But, I can think of two sideloading issues with 2.0.0. One was were you replaced a book that was already on the device it could get deleted when the Touch was disconnected. The other was if you used the Touch to delete a book, you couldn't put the same book back on until a you do a WiFi sync. I haven't deliberately done either with the 2.1.4 release, but I think I have done them without thinking about it. I will do some tests shortly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #96
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Success at last! My device got to 2.0.4 this evening, and I just manually loaded 2.1.4. I've only fiddled with it for ten minutes, but the impressions are pretty good so far. The UI is mostly fairly fast. Most importantly, sideloaded epub page turns are a useful speed, not laggy like they were in 2.0. No dead taps so far (but I haven't read much, so that's provisional). Dictionary UI is better. Shelving books from the library was a desperately needed feature, and it seems to work.

I don't have much else to report just yet, but my dealbreaker (pageturn speed) has definitely been fixed.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #97
MisterBuggie
Enthusiast
MisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura aboutMisterBuggie has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura H20 2nd edition
Hrm, someone mentioned seeing 2 French KTs from the Fnac get updated yesterday morning. Mine, also from the Fnac, isn't updating. I'm on 2.1.1 (as the 2.0 proved to be almost unusable...).
Has anyone who did a manual update to 2.1.1 gotten the automatic update to 2.1.4?
MisterBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #98
Glasofruix
Enthusiast
Glasofruix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Same here, a kobo touch from fnac, no update...
Glasofruix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #99
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A little knitpicking: I've just realized that the hearts for adding to books quickly to the shortlist (or remove them) are gone. I know it's possible to do that from the menu, but it was much faster before. (I guess I will start to use shelves more now anyway, especially since they are now supported by Calibre, but I still think it would have been nice if the hearts were still there - especially since the short is now much easier to access again than it was before...)

I'm also a little sad that you can now only select to display covers or not in general. I used to have my Touch display the cover when in sleep and the sleeping Kobo when powered off - so I could see at a glance wether it would take me a second to start reading or 40 seconds. Not a dealbreaker, of course.

Was it always possible to zoom in pictures in KePubs? If so, I never realized that. It's nice and would be wonderful if it was possible for ePubs, too.

Still miss more options for tap zones, but besides of that I'm very happy (and can very well live with with the "missing hearts" and the like ).
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #100
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Have you tried without the SD card in the unit?
Only when I was updating the firmware from the factory reset, all my books are on the SD card. Not being on the beta test team I just refuse to spend more time than required to test out the buggy firmware. Personally I'm happy with 1.9.17 and other than dead taps every so often it doesn't give me any other trouble and is perfectly fine with my SD card. Doesn't look like I will be getting the KG after all. Shame really as I was looking forward to it and passing on my KT to replace my wife's K-wifi for her.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #101
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Possible bug: If I add a book to the shelves from the menu in the library and go back to a page I already selected an option on, the check mark is gone.

If I only browse forward, select shelves and press save on the last page, the book gets added to all the shelves I've selected, but not if I browse back...
Old 10-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #102
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
Yep I spoke too soon.

After sleep, if I start up within a couple of minutes all is OK, after a bit of a wait, (don't know the exact parameters here), screen taps do not work, and on pressing the home button it reboots and screen taps work again.

I had manually updated to 2.1.1 and manually updated to 2.1.4, (shouldn't be so impatient).

I'd like to go back to 2.1.1 and I assume I have to factory reset to manually load 2.1.1 again?

Steve
Today, (Oct 5th), I cannot reproduce the screen taps not working.

Left it in sleep mode for over 5 hours and all is OK on restart.

I'll leave going back to 2.1.1 unless it happens again overnight, (like an idiot I turned it off last night).

Steve
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #103
Jaden
Evangelist

Another bug: When adding books to a shelf I got three "books" displayed as "unknown author" and with not title. I added them to the shelf, tried to open them - Kobo restarted and now displays three book descriptions with a "buy now" next to them.

These are two descriptions you normally see in Discover (and those are "books" from the Discover Screen, the first 3 to be precise (and only those got added to the list of possible books to add to the shelves...).

Worst is that they are now in the shelf and I can't delete them from there because after restarting they are displayed in the shelf, but not in the list of books to be added/removed from the shelves anymore...

I had to delete the shelf and recreate it...
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #104
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Any Canadians get the 2.1.4 update through WiFi or desktop on their Touch yet?
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #105
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
My update worked out perfectly this time but unfortuneately only to 2.0.0 again. I wonder when the UK will be able to get 2.1.14 or if I ought to go the sideloading update route rather than wait?
Brianrh is offline   Reply With Quote