Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.42%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.21%
haven't used yet 208 56.37%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #196
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Smile Update released

Version: xKindle_2012-01.04.C4554
File size: 62.4MB
suitable models: kindle3
updated: 2012.1.4

Download: click here

New features:

1 support the MOBI format
2to support cross-page do Shuzhai
3 Support for custom layouts: can the line spacing, paragraph spacing, indents, set
4 supports the self-set the top margin, left margin
5 supports the PDF manual trimming
6 support PDF page scroll mode
7 support ePub, txt exact page number
8 books with black text to support any
9 new txt / ePub jump up and down sections: shift + key to turn to next page next chapter, shift + key to turn to page forward the last chapter.
10 new Chinese fonts copyright to look at and the public version of the English font.

Should pay attention to:

1. zipped PDF/TXT file can not be read.
2 too frequent change font, font size or re-publishing will increase power consumption.
3 Due to the high-power text book publishing, so they adjust the font and layout, it will use the sample file layout display real-time effects.

Warm Tips:
Duokan Lite version will no longer exist after the installation of Duokan 2012 .

As usual , you should use this page or this email address: kindleuser@duokan.com to send your feedbacks.

EDIT: old launchpad keys doesn't work for this new one.
Launchpad loader for Duokan2012 is on this post

Last edited by thomass; 01-08-2012 at 11:42 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #197
ekztal
ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Version: xKindle_2012-01.04.C4554
File size: 62.4MB
suitable models: kindle3
updated: 2012.1.4

Download: click here

New features:

1 support the MOBI format

Thanks, I saw this was updated on the first post and went to http://en.duokan.com/ to check if this was the big update. They haven't even updated their page yet!

Thanks for posting this here!
ekztal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #198
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I was looking forward to testing this build, since previous version wouldn't open some valid ePubs that I had.

This version opened all ePubs that the previous version had problems with. I also tested it with some .mobi files and they all seemed to work fine.

They also re-introduced the PDF trimming features that the very first (non-Lite) Duokan versions had. (I still prefer the Smart Layout mode.)

Unfortunately, the new ePub engine no longer supports RTL languages such as Arabic and Hebrew. (Arabic letters are displayed disjointed and LTR; Hebrew letters aren't displayed at all.)

Also the dictionary lookup feature still doesn't work properly. If you press the right arrow key the cursor now moves to the next letter instead of the next word, which makes dictionary lookup rather time-consuming for non-Asian languages. (BTW, you can only use StarDict dictionaries; mobi dictionaries aren't supported.)
Even if you manage to position the cursor before a word, dictionary lookup still doesn't work with accented characters, e.g. French words, because the StarDict word segmentation algorithm was incorrectly implemented. (Duokan Lite considers accented characters word delimiters.)

This is rather annoying since the developers are aware of this problem.

Last edited by Doitsu; 01-04-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #199
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
I'm a bit confused by what this means:

Quote:
Warm Tips:
see more 2012 Lite version is based on the upgrade, after the installation of look 2012, see more Lite version will no longer exist.
Does this mean there will be no more Duokan Lite versions? Or maybe it means there will be a new name for it, called XKindle? OR you can only upgrade? Sorry to sound ignorant, it is just confusing.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #200
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
Does this mean there will be no more Duokan Lite versions? Or maybe it means there will be a new name for it, called XKindle? OR you can only upgrade? Sorry to sound ignorant, it is just confusing.
it is a new one and replaces the old Duokan Lite.
(if I understood it correctly they called the new one as "Duokan 2012")

BTW: old launchpad keys doesn't work for this new one.

Last edited by thomass; 01-04-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #201
George's Kindle
Enthusiast
George's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: kindle 3
I also gave it a try - and was rather disappointed with the new epub engine - the default layout is rather different to the previous Duokan Lite version and rather buggy. The calibre news now appear in part as mobi files with system label 'News'. An english-german stardict dictionary was automatically labelled as 'Paper' - and this system label cannot be deleted.

As the launchpad keys don't work any longer - it is no longer possible to switch rapidly between Kindle and Duokan - just for reading pdfs. This is a no-go for me at the moment. So I returned to Duokan Lite. One probably shoould wait for the next releases, when all these bugs are fixed and the launchpad keys will have been adapted.
George's Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #202
ekztal
ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.ekztal can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

I have a lot of books and this is my first time using Duokan to read them since it now supports the mobi format. Can I label books from my PC? That's one thing I hated with Collections.

1: How can I label a book, "Word1 Word2"? When I try, it makes 2 separate labels, "Word1" and "Word2"

2: Where do I put my screensavers? The first post in this thread says, \DK_System\Lite\res\ScreenSaver

Should I put them in the new \DK_System\xKindle\res\ScreenSaver or \DK_System\xKindle\res\UserScreenSaver

3: Do I even need that old \DK_System\lite\ directory anymore?

4: Can I replace the Chinese USB screens? I don't see the images anywhere.

Last edited by ekztal; 01-04-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #203
thomass
Wizard

This is a Launchpad loader for Duokan2012: duokan2012loader.zip

to use it, just unzip it to your launchpad folder and restart the launchpad with [Shift Shift Space]

to launch Dk'12: press [^D W]
to return to KindleOS: first [alt+sym>"switch to Kindle"] then [^D X]

Last edited by thomass; 01-06-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #204
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekztal View Post
2: Where do I put my screensavers? The first post in this thread says, \DK_System\Lite\res\ScreenSaver
use the DK_System\xKindle for your screensavers, fonts, etc.
ie screensavers to these folders: \DK_System\xKindle\res\ScreenSaver or \DK_System\xKindle\res\UserScreenSaver

Quote:
3: Do I even need that old \DK_System\lite\ directory anymore?
probably not. but let them stay to be safe

Quote:
4: Can I replace the Chinese USB screens? I don't see the images anywhere.
you can. but before installation
replace them reinstall Dk'12 again

Last edited by thomass; 01-04-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #205
ekztal

Quote:
probably not. but let them stay to be safe

you can. but before installation
replace them reinstall Dk'12 again
Thanks for the reply!

I also deleted the /lite/ directory and rebooted, everything appears to work fine!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #206
residentour
residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.residentour is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle 3
This version is full of bugs :

1) So much power usage: load a book , a few page turns then Duokan drains 2%- 3% of charge.
2) Some of my fonts cause displaying full blank pages
3) Turning page is much slower than before
4) Calculating of page is reset whenever a book is loaded. It displays an initial percentage. It refreshes after a few turns until indexing finishes. This makes unable to determine the whole page number and unable to immediate jump to last pages.
5) It seems opening a book triggers an indexing feature(begins every time from scratch). This increases loading time for about 40 seconds if the book is bigger than 300 pages(actual real pages) and you were at more than %50.
6) Waking up from standby takes that more long time as opening like I described above.

Example:

Assume you have a PDF book that is actually 400 pages. After converting to mobi, adjusting fonts and first loading, it takes 15 secs. Duokan calculates 1250 page turns and should display the first page as 1/1250. Instead it displays 1/114 then turn a page it displays 2/278, then 3 / 507 until you get the whole 1250. Now you can turn the pages faster because the indexing has finished. Now go to page 1100/1250 then return to home.
open that same book and it takes 1 minute because it start the indexing from scratch and processes to get you that 1100 th page and display 1100/1250. Now you power off and try to wake to last read page. Taadaaa you need that 1 minute again to get there .

7) Duokan is active and processing files while you are connected via USB. This causes locked files which cannot be deleted (most of the files are created as *.dkx). This also breaks the file structure and windows gives an "mass storage error" even you unplugged USB safely.

Last edited by residentour; 01-04-2012 at 07:02 PM.
residentour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #207
George's Kindle
Enthusiast
George's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
This is a Launchpad loader for Duokan2012: Attachment 80765
to launch Dk'12: press [^D W]
to return to KindleOS: first [alt+sym>"switch to Kindle"] then [^D X]
Thanks for the loader.

Is there a chance to get for the Duokan 2012 what the D S keys were for the Lite version - a fast way to switch from Kindle to a minimal Duokan version for using the PDF viewing functions?
George's Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #208
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by George's Kindle View Post
Thanks for the loader.

Is there a chance to get for the Duokan 2012 what the D S keys were for the Lite version - a fast way to switch from Kindle to a minimal Duokan version for using the PDF viewing functions?
unfortunately, not found any yet.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #209
jarhead
Enthusiast
jarhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi 3.2.1
Interesting that after the wireless update, Duokan defaulted from English to Italian and I cannot switch back to English.

Update: In System Settings, English was not an option. I switched from Italian to Spanish and only then English appeared.

Another bug: Before the update, I was in the middle of the book. After the update, I returned to the same spot in the book and noticed that the page number appeared as 0/4. The book is more than 47 pages long. The page numbering changes every time the Kindle is turned on and is completely out of whack.

Last edited by jarhead; 01-05-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: addition to the post
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #210
thomass
Wizard

Let me remind this again:
If you think that there is a bug on the Duokan, then you should use the email: kindleuser@duokan.com to notify the developers since Duokan team rarely visit this forum. (and I'm not a member of the Duokan Team) (alternatively you can use their official English Blog: http://en.duokan.com )

However it is good to send them here also to inform us (users).

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf