Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #16
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles

I hope it's not this prototype.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #17
dauwhe
<geek type="xml"/>
dauwhe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dauwhe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dauwhe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle, Kindle 2, Sony Reader, iPod Touch
What's the point if they don't improve the Mobi/Kindle format? It would be a waste to have that large screen and not be able to do 1997-era CSS. How would you do a reasonable-looking newspaper without CSS floats?

Dave
dauwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #18
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
I just purchased a Kindle 2 very recently. As in.. I"m still within my 30-day return policy.

I'm trying to decide what to do. If they announce in Wednesday, does that mean it will be available Wednesday too?
Of course, you'll need to wait and see -- and decide what fits your feature set and budget. However, I can't see Amazon replacing the Kindle2 this fast. Therefore, I must assume this is an alternative, not a replacement.

Some possible tradeoffs:
- Significantly higher cost for larger screen.
- Less portable
- Possibly tied to subscriptions -- ie you'll need to subscribe to NYT to get it.
- Other?

If we believe some of the cost numbers posted by iSupply, then the cost (no profit added) of a ten inch screen would run about $100 more than a 6 inch. It should increase linearly with area, not diagonal inches so larger becomes much more expensive. Also, the yield rate probably goes down since its harder to get a larger area defect free -- this also increases costs. And don't even consider a larger screen (breakage issues) unless its flexible. $$$
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #19
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
The scaling cost could be more than offset by process improvements. Flat panel TV's are an excellent example in recent years.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #20
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

According to Engadget they have been told that Barbara Snyder, president of Case Western Reserve University, and Arthur Sulzberger, top man at the New York Times will join Amazon's Jeff Bezos on stage Wednesday. So it looks more and more like a big screen device capable of displaying textbook and newspaper pages is on the way. Whoohoo!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #21
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I think it's an interesting idea, but I still see the large format as a problem, rather than a solution. Sure, it would be a nice way for newspapers to display their content (replete with ads and such, and without the need to reformat for another medium), but where's the advantage for the consumer? Isn't one of the advantages of the Kindle its portabilty? The laptop I'm typing this on right now has a footprint not much larger than 8 1/2" by 11". Something that size, as thin as a Kindle 2 (or even a Kindle 1) is an accident waiting to happen.

And this all so that you can subscribe to the NY Times from it?

Definitely not for me. Possibly it'd work if you had some enhanced content or more features than on a current Kindle (e.g., color, a touchscreen that you could do the crossword (which would have to be included in the price) with). Otherwise, I just don't see how you could justify it, when you can either a) get the newspaper over the Web for free on a laptop (again, at about the same size, if not the same orientation) or b) subscribe to the paper newspaper, if you really want that format.

As a subsidized device (i.e., you subscribe to the paper, you get the device) it could work, but it would probably be a one-trick pony, at that point, unless it gave you access to all NY Times-affiliated papers.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #22
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
If the "new" Kindle supports PDF for the academic user, then it would be a very good entry into the reader market.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #23
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
If you don't like this model wait a couple months there will be another
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #24
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
If the "new" Kindle supports PDF for the academic user, then it would be a very good entry into the reader market.
It's time for Irex to do something with their DR.
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #25
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's an article from Wired that discusses the new large format Kindle, and basically saying it will probably fail.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #26
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Here's an article from Wired that discusses the new large format Kindle, and basically saying it will probably fail.
I agree with this article -- it won't save the newspaper industry and the "Big" Kindle's largest potential is in the textbook market, and piracy for textbooks will run rampant.

Personally, I'd like to see an OpenTextbook inititive that replaces traditional textbook publishers, and a large screen Kindle would make that possible.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #27
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I agree with this article -- it won't save the newspaper industry and the "Big" Kindle's largest potential is in the textbook market, and piracy for textbooks will run rampant.

Personally, I'd like to see an OpenTextbook inititive that replaces traditional textbook publishers, and a large screen Kindle would make that possible.
I think the Kindle (as you say, in large format) has huge potential as a textbook reader. I would've loved one of those, when I was in school (although a current Kindle would've probably worked out fine for me, as I was an English major, and carried around a lot of paperback literature, anyway).

It's always possible, I suppose, that Amazon has made such advances with the Kindle's design that on Wednesday they'll announce a color, touchscreen, Flash-capable, stylus-ready, SD-card slotted Kindle. If they did that, I'd sell my Kindle 1 and get one. I think that's the only thing that would convince me to buy a large format device. And even then, it would have to be < $400 for me to justify the expenditure.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #28
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Of course, you'll need to wait and see -- and decide what fits your feature set and budget. However, I can't see Amazon replacing the Kindle2 this fast. Therefore, I must assume this is an alternative, not a replacement.

Some possible tradeoffs:
- Significantly higher cost for larger screen.
- Less portable
- Possibly tied to subscriptions -- ie you'll need to subscribe to NYT to get it.
- Other?

If we believe some of the cost numbers posted by iSupply, then the cost (no profit added) of a ten inch screen would run about $100 more than a 6 inch. It should increase linearly with area, not diagonal inches so larger becomes much more expensive. Also, the yield rate probably goes down since its harder to get a larger area defect free -- this also increases costs. And don't even consider a larger screen (breakage issues) unless its flexible. $$$
Well I wouldn't necessarily jump ship before Wednesday. I was just wondering if it was possible to have both Kindles in hand at the same time so that I can compare them side by side.

I'm not sure how I feel about a larger screen. I had a bigger powerful laptop, but it loses a lot of portability.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem (IMHO) will be the software on the new Kindle (if there is such) as the software on the K1 and K2 leave a lot to be desired. No PDF, no ePub, no thanks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #30
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
I'm perfectly happy with the current K2, but would like more contrast and better software (folders!). I don't really use the keyboard enough to justify the space it occupies; I'd prefer a larger screen in the same footprint.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formats, kindle, pdf