Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #46
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasofruix View Post
Yep noticed that too. Some epubs have fixed spacing/margins and my kobo can't override those. The only solution i've found is to convert those files with calibre with remove margins checked and a minimal line spacing of 0% (basically it removes some stuff in the css file for me). Free kepubs don't seem to have those problems though.
My experience has been that books purchased from legitimate places and only had the drm removed do not have these problems. OTOH, books that I have gotten from other folks who have run them through calibre AND altered them so that a calibre stylesheet attaches may, depending on the choices made by whoever converts them. I recommend that if you have one of those books, remove margins and fonts using look and feel in calibre before uploading them to your device.

Non-kepub books used to run through the Adobe renderer. I am not sure if that is still true, but, in the end you will get what is specified in the style sheet.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #47
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilotikus View Post
For anyone else these are tucked away under the rather inappropriate 'settings' menu then 'extras'. Very counter intuitive. Whoever worked on the navigation for this thing should be fired. These should be accessible directly from the home page.
The extras are not formally supported by Kobo. In the past they were identified as beta features. They are well and truly extras and you will not get support from Kobo around their use. Linking to them from the home screen would be just plain weird given that they are not anything Kobo sees as part of the core functionality of the devices.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #48
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
I'm awaiting mine being sent out and delivered. It's been 'ready to send' from yesterday. Annoying but good things come to all that wait they say.

I currently can't get to my local WHSmith to pick one up, if there in that is, at the moment. Stuck on sofa with a knife stuck in my spine or at least that's how it's felt since Sunday night anyway. Strangely the pain seems to be in a lone area of my spinal column unaffected by my spinal problems and deformities. Strange, really strange. Looking forward to getting my Glo through, also contrasting it with my Mum's Kobo touch. She is practically incapable from being separated from that thing. Best reader I've bought her so far I think!!
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #49
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Saw a review at http://goodereader.com/blog/reviews/...o-glo-ereader/ that seriously makes me consider Kobo for my next eInk device. (Hoping that's not soon, but they are electronics.)

One thing in the review bugged me: "The eagerly anticipated Kobo Glo e-reader has just hit the market and gives you the unique ability to read in the dark." Now, my word-loving soul cringes at the abuse of the word "unique" in general, but this doesn't even make sense in context. How is this a unique feature? The NOOK has it. Kindles shipped this week. LCD could always do it. Am I missing something? Is Kobo's execution of this feature somehow unique? It seems much like the NOOK, with some refinements.

Or is he talking about Kobo's major Canadian market where the NOOK is not officially marketed?

Anyhow, looks great. I hope I don't have to split up my eInk and tablet providers, but Kobo seems one up in the former, while I'm leaning towards the NOOK HD for the latter.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #50
ng7apoc
ng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blueng7apoc can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo (Pre-Ordered!)
That review is interesting and covers a lot of the things we might like to know but the video is terrible! anyone watching that will think the screen is unresponsive to touch and needs several attempts to press it

Yet if you look closely the guy has very long nails and is clearly pressing the screen with his nail, I know its an IR touchscreen but it still has an effect
ng7apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #51
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Yea, I agree with that, I think he just plain missed the wireless setup button a few times, and I would assume he was supposed to use the arrows at the bottom of the screen for the little tutorial
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #52
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
I am so glad that I don't seem to have any "bright pixels". I would return to the store within the return period and if they wouldn't exchange then it would become a refund and I would take my money elsewhere. Good tip about checking it out in the store though it is almost impossible to see the light in most brightly lit modern stores.

Extras or not the menu functionality doesn't work. It would be easy enough to include a disclaimer when launching to remind people that these are unsupported extras. Making users click through menus to find things they might like to use is poor function. Function should always be the most important goal. Kobo isn't as good at making these menus and functions completely intuitive as some other companies. You know you got it right when you can hand it to a seven year old and he can use it without any confusion. Some form of tiles or icons based simplified menu home screen would help.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #53
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
Yea, I agree with that, I think he just plain missed the wireless setup button a few times, and I would assume he was supposed to use the arrows at the bottom of the screen for the little tutorial
Yup, so true. I would assume as they had a Kobo touch and must of set that up they would know this. Strangely enough I was saying 'hit the arrow'/'use the arrow' when I watched this video and he was trying to swipe through the set up pages.

Pop up type menu/results pages that the Kobo touch has the only way to move screens is by using the back/forward arrows. I would assume the same for the Kobo Glo.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #54
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
It frustrates me (living in Canada) that Kobo can't get it right. They really should be able to do as good a job as Amazon or Barnes and Noble but they always seem to lag. I guess they have less money but it really bothers me to only have access to a 3rd rate device.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #55
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
It frustrates me (living in Canada) that Kobo can't get it right. They really should be able to do as good a job as Amazon or Barnes and Noble but they always seem to lag. I guess they have less money but it really bothers me to only have access to a 3rd rate device.
Actually the device, at least the KT, is first rate... it's the firmware and whoever designs the interface that is 3rd rate. Personally I think the 1.9.17 firmware homescreen is the best by far. It's a shame really the Kobo has sooo much potential, they really need a top notch UI designer. The UI should be intuitive, not the way it is now.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #56
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Just picked up a Kobo Glo to replace my Touch. First impressions is it's noticeably faster than the Touch. Also the ghosting on at least kEpub's is non-existant compared to the Touch. Will test epub vs epub later tonight.

Going to bring it back to Chapters for a swap because it has one bright spot in the glow layer that's like a really bright pixel. If the spot was closer to the bezel where no text would ever be shown it wouldn't be a bother but it's diagonally in 1' in from the bottom left corner of the screen.

Edit: The smoothness of the screen feels different than the Touch. Like it's rougher or something... makes my finger kind-of stick to it.

Last edited by Lunchtray; 10-02-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #57
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself11 View Post
Goodereader.com has a video comparing Touch and Glo:
http://goodereader.com/blog/good-e-r...-the-kobo-glo/

With light off Kobo Glo's screen is crisper and whiter than Touch's screen.

On the other hand, with lights on, Glo's light seems blue, but in a dark room, seems white.
Thanks for posting the link. It seems the Glo firmware has stopped showing beginnings of chapters in a bar in the book menu Is it just a quirk in the two examples this review gives, or do you also not see any progress bar with chapter markers in the book menu?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #58
lioslaith
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchtray View Post
Just picked up a Kobo Glo to replace my Touch. First impressions is it's noticeably faster than the Touch.
Note to self. Keep close eye on my Mother so she doesn't do a quick switch. She loves the Kobo Touch and I don't want to loose my Kobo Glo within hours of receiving it!!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #59
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Decent, if somewhat flawed review of the Glo. Some comments I wrote over there:

1) The Kobo Touch has 2GB of system memory, with 1GB available for storage of e-books. ( http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_tech ) This is the same as the Kobo Glo.

2) The home page shows your last 5 books, not your last 4 (as shown in one of your pictures above.)

3) On the Touch, you can scroll "off the page" to the left or right when zoomed in on a PDF to show a bar with an arrow icon. Pressing this allows you to turn the page while staying zoomed. I would be deeply surprised if this functionality no longer exists. Did you try this?
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #60
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Oh, I should mention that the video reviews seem to make the glow look more Blue-ish than it really is in person. But then again not everyones eyes are the same so yeah... at least to me it's pretty white in temperature.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote