Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #46
VentureForth
Enthusiast
VentureForth doesn't litterVentureForth doesn't litter

Device: Augen's The Book
My guess is August 7th. My conspiracy theory is that Augen thought they had a good thing going back in May when they were going to put out a color ereader for half the price of the big boys. But when the Nook and Kindle took a price cut, Augen panicked - distributerd what they had on hand, bugs and all, to KMart which then sold them at a discount. Augen needed the cash flow so they figured a discounted ereader, upgradable later, could get the cash to start flowing. $149 was no longer an option, so $99 then $89 became the price. If they can get the bugs worked out and build a decent reputation, they'll thrive. If not, those of us lucky enough have something usable, but not spectacular. Again - just a theory.
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #47
Barnone
Barnone began at the beginning.

Device: none
It was nice having the Augen yesterday since we had two power failures because of a bad storm.
My wife was reading in bed with a flashlight while I was happy as a smug clam with my lighted screen on The Book.
I'm a newbie on the ebooks so it's an adjustment for me.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #48
Barnone

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureForth View Post
My guess is August 7th. My conspiracy theory is that Augen thought they had a good thing going back in May when they were going to put out a color ereader for half the price of the big boys. But when the Nook and Kindle took a price cut, Augen panicked - distributerd what they had on hand, bugs and all, to KMart which then sold them at a discount. Augen needed the cash flow so they figured a discounted ereader, upgradable later, could get the cash to start flowing. $149 was no longer an option, so $99 then $89 became the price. If they can get the bugs worked out and build a decent reputation, they'll thrive. If not, those of us lucky enough have something usable, but not spectacular. Again - just a theory.
I ordered mine from Heartland back in May when they claimed a MSRP of $199 and they had it on sale for $159 less a $30? rebate. Luckily for me Heartland kept delaying the ship date so I cancelled the order and ordered from J&R for $129. Luckily again for me, J&R couldn't deliver and then I saw on this site about the Kmart $89.99 sale. So I cancelled the J&R order and went to Kmart.

So VentureForth, you might be correct and anyway thanks to this site for saving me $40 less sales tax.

Hopefully, Augen will make a go of it although there can't be a lot of profit at the price.

I'm an old IBM mainframe engineer who remembers when we use to get $1.00 for a byte of memory and if we had a one meg mainframe computer we could walk the dog.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #49
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
My guess is August 7th. My conspiracy theory is that Augen thought they had a good thing going back in May <snip>..If they can get the bugs worked out and build a decent reputation, they'll thrive. If not, those of us lucky enough have something usable, but not spectacular. Again - just a theory.
Hi VentureForth, et al,

I love a good conspiracy theory! (And so does our government, which has a secret task force to formulate and distribute such theories, to distract our best minds from the truth! )

You're probably close to the truth in many ways - the current, sold out release may have been a bit of a trial run. In any event, I think the worst that can happen is that Augen gets some quality improvements in place, and perhaps amends the firmware, and that is all good for consumers. There may even be similar devices coming to market, and again that benefits us.

I'm just a little peeved (and I mean, a little), because our Aussie dollar is currently quite high against the USD, which makes it a good time to buy. Still, it'll all work out in the end.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #50
VentureForth
Enthusiast

Stop the presses! Allhats over in the Augen forum mentioned this, but I thought it was a fluke, until it happened to me. THIS is a show stopper so far as I am concerned (and yes, I have reported it to the proper authorities).

Last night I bought and paid for a John Grisham book, "The Associate," from booksamillion.com. I was able to save it to my computer and open it with Adobe Digital Editions without any problem. The book reads fine on Digital Editions.

I then used Calibre to move the book to The Book. The Book accepted the DRM without any problems and at first glance, the book appeared normal on the screen. However, after about page 7, I noticed that there were paragraphs that were being skipped when I moved to the next page. As you can with non-DRM books, I attempted to change the zoom, but on protected books the options are limited to Original, Fit to Screen, Fit to Height, Fit to Width or Zoom. None of these options would reveal the missing paragraphs. Can't change the font or font size.

I again went back to Digital Editions on my PC and there was no discrepancy.

I can handle the little bugs, the irritations, the nuances, and quirks, but when I cannot read books that I have bought and paid for, it was the first time I considered returning my Book.

I haven't yet. There shall be a viable solution!
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #51
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Quote:
Stop the presses! Allhats over in the Augen forum mentioned this, but I thought it was a fluke, until it happened to me. THIS is a show stopper so far as I am concerned (and yes, I have reported it to the proper authorities).

Last night I bought and paid for a John Grisham book, "The Associate," from booksamillion.com. I was able to save it to my computer and open it with Adobe Digital Editions without any problem. The book reads fine on Digital Editions.

I then used Calibre to move the book to The Book. The Book accepted the DRM without any problems and at first glance, the book appeared normal on the screen. However, after about page 7, I noticed that there were paragraphs that were being skipped when I moved to the next page. As you can with non-DRM books, I attempted to change the zoom, but on protected books the options are limited to Original, Fit to Screen, Fit to Height, Fit to Width or Zoom. None of these options would reveal the missing paragraphs. Can't change the font or font size.

I again went back to Digital Editions on my PC and there was no discrepancy.

I can handle the little bugs, the irritations, the nuances, and quirks, but when I cannot read books that I have bought and paid for, it was the first time I considered returning my Book.

I haven't yet. There shall be a viable solution!
I've mentioned this in several of the Augen "The Book" threads on MobileRead. It's not an isolated fluke. While people have been carping about wifi and browsers and SD card issues, this is the BIG BUG. "The Book" can't handle legally obtained Adobe DRM'ed epub files. The current firmware sees them as PDFs instead of as epubs. Until this is corrected, your only option is to strip the DRM from your epub file and to transfer it without using Adobe Digital Editions. (That Calibre can transfer DRM'ed content is news to me.) This is Augen's problem, not Adobe's. I have no such issues with transferring Adobe DRM'ed content to my Sony Reader. This is why I've been submitting service tickets to Augen Customer Support and urging others to do so.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #52
VentureForth
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
I've mentioned this in several of the Augen "The Book" threads on MobileRead.
That brings up another point, for me at least.

Can MobileRead open up a subforum for The Book? There seem to be other misc eReader subforums for products have have never come out, or at least have very little interest. I've only found this and maybe two other threads about The Book here in MobileRead.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #53
VentureForth
Enthusiast

An interesting reply I got from the Augen forum:

Quote:
The Adobe epub problem is relatiing to the paging file. A good technical description can be found here:
http://blog.threepress.org/2009/11/2...-ncx-pagelist/
Augen's way of handling a file touched by Adobe is to say, "If it's Adobe, it must be a PDF." Epub "page numbers" can occur anywhere on a page. This is why chunks of text become inaccessible. They're in the netherworld between "pages". The menu that comes up doesn't match the actual file type.
I say "touched by Adobe" rather than DRM'ed, because even a non-DRM'ed epub file will be messed up if it is transferred to "The Book" using Adobe Digital Editions.
Could be a serious issue unless they tackle it directly.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #54
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
Well, Nate I didn't submit a ticket as you say but I did list the items I thought needed work on a firmware change on the Augen forums. Now just how do I go about this ticket bit?

Never mind, I found it. Submitted a ticket with my 7 items to be addressed by firmware change.

Its not that I expect immediate firmware changes I just expected a little feedback from them in their forum saying they at least knew about the listed problems and were working on them.

Last edited by Highroller; 07-28-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #55
VentureForth
Enthusiast

Its very interesting. As I start to peruse around the Web about Augen, I find that it is a company with about 9 employees and 4 founding partners. They get a BBB rating of a C because of a single unresolved issue regarding their hard sales tactics. Not suprisingly, three of the four founding partners seem to be involved in Amway.

Not knocking these guys. They seem to be able to talk the talk. If they can walk the walk, then they could be something of a Vizio for low cost, descent quality tech gear.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #56
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi LB, et al,

my apologies. Still, KMart are out of stock and the rep I was having an online chat to said there was no ETA on another supply.

I shall have to wait.

Cheers,

Michael P
Too bad.... I see plenty of them in stock here, but I can't find the new Augen tablet, I am really interested in that one.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #57
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
Well time will tell. They already have an ereader a million percent better than the Delstar Openbook. This one already does more than the Delstar was SUPPOSED to do. 90% of which the delstar still didn't do last time I checked. Hoping Augen will put out a firmware update relatively soon. I am willing to wait until they get it right vice panic releases that still don't work... but its always nice to know if they are working on problems with a unit you have.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #58
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
Too bad.... I see plenty of them in stock here, but I can't find the new Augen tablet, I am really interested in that one.
Hi LB, et al,

last night I checked KMart again because a few here have been able to walk in and buy. I was able to purchase just the one (not the two I wanted) and it will be shipped to my US Unlocked address.

I'd still like to get another, despite the issues raised here, because it seems a firmware update will fix most issues. I'll continue to haunt the KMart site till I can place an order, or not, if it takes an extended period of time. I like online shopping, but sometimes it would be so easy to just walk into a store... <smile>

Cheers,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #59
Barnone

marktech over on the Augen TB forum mentioned a firmware update for the Kmart TBs to fix the B&N problem along with other fixes.

" To All:

DRM files with Barnes and Noble have conflict with our Software. We used SDK 9.0 version for the DRM but Barnes&Noble recently updated their DRM to 9.1 SDK

For DRM issues, A firmware Update will be conducted especially for those eReader that was purchased thru KMART.

Time issues and Hotkeys Issues will also be fixed by the Firmware Update

MAC Address will also be included in the Firmware Update "

http://augen.lefora.com/2010/07/09/e.../page2/#post29
Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #60
Barnone

Moderators,
Someone suggested a sub forum for the TB to get all the issues and info in one place.
Is that possible?

Tags
the book