Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
kindle_noob
kindle_noob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Unhappy Indexing & Deleting on Kindle Touch

Hi

As you can probably tell from my username, I'm a beginner! I bought the Kindle Touch for my mum when in New York and I've just downloaded books onto it from a CD. There are hundreds of books and from reading previous posts etc, I gather this slows the device down somewhat. My problem is not being able to index the books. I've followed all advice that I could find on google and from this website; resetting it, holding power button for 20 seconds, clicking on "items not yet indexed" then clicking on the first book etc but it's still not indexing. It's not a huge deal really it's just that my mum is a bit of a technophobe and was wanting to make it as easy for her as possible, by being able to search for an author or a book title. Any ideas? Also, can you delete a book directly from the Kindle once you've read it? (was thinking I could teach my mum how to do that once she's read a book to make room on the device)

Any advice/suggestions would be hugely appreciated

Thanks!
kindle_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If it is stuck indexing some books, it is possible that those books are corrupt in some way. It is always better to load books a few at a time, because the Kindle can finish indexing them better than having to try and index hundreds at one time, and because if it is still stuck, you can more easily find which book or books are causing the problem. Any books you can legitimately on CD are easily downloaded from other sources (public domain books). You might try getting the books you want from reputable sources, like here on mobileread.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Are you saying that it is NOT indexing at all? I can't really believe that.

To remove a book, from the Home screen, tap and hold on the title. A dialog box will pop up with several options, including archive/delete.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote