Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
Shicky4
Shicky4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can amazon see you collections?

Just a bit curious about this as a new kindle owner. I've been downloading a good few books and downloaded one load of books. Now these are meant to be free books but I noticed they aren't free on amazon. Should I avoid putting these on my kindle as I could be accused of pirating or something? Im a little unsure how it all works?

I am fine to convert whatever PDF's I have and read them on the kindle too?
Shicky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Just a bit curious about this as a new kindle owner. I've been downloading a good few books and downloaded one load of books. Now these are meant to be free books but I noticed they aren't free on amazon. Should I avoid putting these on my kindle as I could be accused of pirating or something? Im a little unsure how it all works?
Sure they can see what's on your Kindle. The important question is whether or not they give a spit what's on your Kindle. All evidence to date that I've seen points to "no," they don't give the slightest spit. And since they advertise the ability to sideload DRM-free Mobi's from other sources... they can hardly frown on you for actually taking advantage of it. So if you're not doing anything wrong... don't act like you are.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sure they can see what's on your Kindle. The important question is whether or not they give a spit what's on your Kindle.
Their computers collate it all for profiling and advertising purposes, but I doubt anyone human will ever look through it. Not unless Amazon got hacked and all that data ended up on the web somewhere. Then all your neighbours would be smirking about what you read
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Shicky4
Shicky4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
thank you very much for the quick responses guys, much appreciated!
Shicky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy
Not unless Amazon got hacked and all that data ended up on the web somewhere. Then all your neighbours would be smirking about what you read.
My list of books on my Kindle would have my neighbors yawning.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon is so all powerful that they can even see Kindle owners getting ready for bed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon is so all powerful that they can even see Kindle owners getting ready for bed.
So, that's why my Kindle says "Time for bed, sleepy-head!" when I call it a night.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote