Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Calibre debug file

For some reason I can't seem to find the debug file created when running the comand line:

Code:
calibre-debug --gui-debug=GUI_DEBUG
I've looked for GUI_DEBUG, and tried ./filename or filename and still no luck. I'm running on Ubuntu 10.10. And tried using the --show-debug option but no luck there either. When Calibre starts up a dialog is shown saying the file GUI_DEBUG (or filename, etc.) will be created and automatically displayed. But it doesn't seem to be created - it also isn't displayed (although I can see the debug output in the terminal window I used to start Calibre).

It works fine if I use the GUI menu option to restart in debug mode - the /tmp file gets created and gets displayed after logging out and can be edited.

I must be missing something obvious. Any pointers?
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
My guess would be that the file gets created either in the current working directory of the shell you called the program from or in Calibre's bin directory.

Edit: I just tested. The debug file doesn't get displayed for me, as well.

Edit2: I guessed wrong. A search didn't find the file. There's another way to create a logfile that should work: Invoke "calibre-debug -g > filename", that should redirect the output to the filename you selected. This will be created in the current working directory, unless you specify an absolute path.

Last edited by Manichean; 02-01-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Yeah, I've been using "calibre-debug --gui-debug=GUI_DEBUG | tee out " to capture it - good to know there's a '-g' to use - I just added the tee in the script and left it since it worked, but was curious if I was just misreading the options.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I don't think you're misreading anything, you may have found a bug. Either that, or we both misread something.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no debug file created by calibre-debug -g

debug output is printed to stdout snd stderr use

calibre-debug -g 2>&1 > log.txt

Or relaunch calibre in debug mode by clicking the arrow next to preferences, in which case a debug file will be created and automatically displayed after you quit calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There is no debug file created by calibre-debug -g
No, but shouldn't calibre-debug --gui-debug=filename create a debug file called filename?
Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Ah no, that option and --show-gui-debug are both for internal use. I'll add a note to the help for those options.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

Oh, okay. In that case, to conclude @OP: Go with the calibre-debug -g > outputfile option.