Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
GlynG
GlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: none
E-ink reader for large pdf image files?

I’m interested in buying my first e-ink e-book reader, but I’m struggling to find one that suits my needs. I’m not sure if there’s anything suitable out there now or if I should just abandon the idea and hope future tech improves. I thought I’d try asking you in the know here for advice, as I'm not that familiar with what's out there.

I’m definitely only interested in an e-ink ebook reader (for battery life and readability), I already have existing gadgets for other uses.

Any bookstore with it would be irrelevant as I’ll mostly be using the reader for pdfs - I have a large collection of pdfs ebooks, made up of scans of full colour A4 pages. I need an ebook reader that can comfortably display and zoom in and out of large pdf files e.g. I have one that is 326MB.

I'd not heard of them before tonight but a large screen reader like the Kindle DX could suit me, if such an old discontinued device would be ok with loading and zooming in of large pdfs.

Also, the existing e-ink range seems to have a truly pathetic amount of memory compared to tablets and phones. I have in the region of 200Gb or so of ebooks and pdfs to read. Do any ebook readers support SD cards so that I could use a Lexar 256Gb SD card in one?

Or what are the existing ebook readers like at supporting large Micro-SD cards? I have a 64Gb Micro-SD (which I’ll be upgrading to a 128Gb one when they come out), will these work in existing ebook readers in practice? I notice most claim to only support up to 32Gb, but then so does my Nokia 808 mobile and yet the 64Gb card in it works perfectly anyway.

Thanks in advance for any comments / info / feedback!
GlynG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have been wanting a large screen e-ink device for years, and to the best of my knowledge none are going to be produced in the hear future. At present the largest screen currently in production is 9.7 inches diagonal. It is about half the size of a sheet of a4 paper. The Onxy Boox M92, and Ectaco Jet book color both have this size screen. The M92 supports upto 32GB sd cards.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrucci View Post
The Onxy Boox M92, and Ectaco Jet book color both have this size screen. The M92 supports upto 32GB sd cards.
As does the Pocketbook 922. The Jetbook Color has the Triton "colour" screen which personally I'd avoid like the plague.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
GlynG
GlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterGlynG can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: none
Thanks. I haven't heard of any of the mentioned ones. I'm feeling a little tired and tipsy after Christmas dinner right now, but I'll look into them in the coming days
GlynG is offline   Reply With Quote