Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Please click the two most common documents you load into your eBook reading device.
eBook versions of just published, bestselling print books 33 28.95%
eBook versions of new, but not bestselling, print books 60 52.63%
eBook versions of older, but still in copyright, print books 73 64.04%
eBooks with no print versions by independent publishers 29 25.44%
eBooks of free, public domain classics 53 46.49%
Documents from the Web, e.g., articles, master's thesis, etc. 15 13.16%
Documents you wrote yourself 4 3.51%
eBooks in languages I can't get around here 5 4.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
chrisarippel
Chris Rippel, Kansas
chrisarippel began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic, Droid X Nook and Kindle, PC Nook and Kindle
What do you like to read?

I am interesting knowing what kind of stuff you read on your eBook reading device, e.g., Kindle, smartphone, laptop, etc.

I am asking for you to vote for only the TWO MOST COMMON DOCUMENTS on your device.

The purpose of this limitation is to test the claim that "new bestsellers" drives eBook purchasing.

So let's assume that everyone votes for only two categories.
If new bestsellers drive eBook purchasing, then 50% or more of the votes would be for "eBook versions of just published, bestselling print books".

If new bestsellers do not drive eBook purchasing, then less than 50% of the votes would be for "eBook versions of just published bestselling print books".

So it is important that you make only two votes for the most common documents on your device. Voting for more than two categories obscures the observation I am testing for.

Thanks for participating.

Last edited by chrisarippel; 04-01-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Claification of instructions
chrisarippel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I chose the first two but for me it is really all of the above.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I chose all but the last two options. However, I'll read just about anything I can get on there, as long as i don't have to take notes. I'm not really comfortable with that function, as it is now.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
No fair... I followed the instructions and limited myself to two answers, rather than checking all that applied.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:41 AM   #5
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
I chose the first three.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I chose none of the above, since the poll options don't really reflect the two kinds of documents I actually load up:
  1. eBooks/texts that interest me which I want to read, or at least give a try.
  2. eBooks/other documents that I have as required reading or supplementary reference or whatnot.
The composition of the former changes drastically according to what I'm interested in at the moment, though it's generally mostly a mix of #3-5 & 7 for my own acquisitions, with occasional forays into #1 & 2 if the library's got them in.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
I chose the first three.

Cheers
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I chose all but the last two options. However, I'll read just about anything I can get on there, as long as i don't have to take notes. I'm not really comfortable with that function, as it is now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anke Wehner View Post
No fair... I followed the instructions and limited myself to two answers, rather than checking all that applied.
Oops! - I didn't even see the directions, I just answered the question.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Does this poll have any particular purpose?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
chrisarippel
Chris Rippel, Kansas
chrisarippel began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic, Droid X Nook and Kindle, PC Nook and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Does this poll have any particular purpose?
Thanks for asking, GeoffC.

The purpose of this poll is to test whether "new bestsellers" drives eBook purchasing. This is a claim I have heard from three librarians. I don't believe this claim. Believing this or not believing claim this affects the types of eBooks libraries would provide to readers of eBooks.

So, let's assume that everyone votes for only two categories.
If new bestsellers are driving eBook purchasing, then 50% or more of the votes would be for "eBook versions of just published, bestselling print books".

If new bestsellers are not driving eBook purchasing, then less than 50% of the votes would be for "eBook versions of just published bestselling print books".

So it is important that you make only two votes for the most common documents on your device. Voting for more than two categories obscures the observation I am testing for.
chrisarippel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict

With that in mind, I would still have difficulty just choosing 2, but my first option is:

Quote:
eBooks of free, public domain classics
I really couldn't say whether
Quote:
eBook versions of older, but still in copyright, print books
or
Quote:
eBooks with no print versions by independent publishers
comes in 2nd.

I can say that
Quote:
eBook versions of just published, bestselling print books
comes in last, as they are still usually the most expensive.

I apologise once again for not reading the instructions, first.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
what i missed was "selfmade ebooks of paperbooks in the category 3" which fits for me alot
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Mostly 3 and 6 for me. #3 mostly falls under the "if it's something I'm interested in or already have, but would like in e-form, I'll snag it" sub-section. I wont really bother with new, fresh-off-the-epress books since I would rather catch a couple reviews and/or wait for a price-drop before throwing around that kind of dimp.

For #6, I spend a lot of time reading stuff online, so that one's a no-brainer for me.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Mostly #3 and #6, but really all of the above.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
What I read most is fanfic. I suppose that would be "documents from the web," but the examples don't seem to match what I read, which is entertainment fiction, not articles. (And these days, I mostly download them as ebooks from the Archive Of Our Own.)

The categories overlap somewhat:
eBook versions of older, but still in copyright, print books
eBooks with no print versions by independent publishers

Both of these cover "books where the author has reclaimed publishing rights and released them as ebooks," which currently have no print version. I read a lot of those. (A lot of the indie publishers with "no print version" have POD versions. Or do those count as "new but not bestselling" ebooks?)

The poll is heavily skewed by mainstream-publishing mentality; those aren't close to how I categorize my ebook reading.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll