Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #46
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSpalding View Post
I'll liked the dairy metaphor Vintage - by that extension, does it make anything published by Stephenie Meyer stinking cheese?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Such imagery is why he's an Author !
Aww... you guys are making me blush! (No comment on Stephenie Meyer, because I've never actually read anything she's written.)

- M.

P.S.: I just returned from ReConStruction/NASFIC10, so there is a review at The Friday Challenge if anyone is interested in reading it.

Last edited by Vintage Season; 08-10-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #47
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***Heck, I'd just about bet a box of books that there's only really one readable book per 10,000, and maybe 1% of those readable books is actually good enough to be publishable***

There's an old saying in the game, Steve, that you'll have come across: "If a budding author can be discouraged, that's your job."

It sounds harsh on the surface, but it ain't. If a budding writer CAN be discouraged, it suggests that s/he has no faith in her or his work and doesn't have the will and sheer guts to develop. Those who fall at the first fence are not good bets.

And picking up on your comparison of writing with cooking -- spot on. I have a strong feeling that when a basic skill (like literacy, photography or mastering simple mathematics) becomes almost universal, the 'art' is in some way devalued. Only those few with exceptional training, dedication and talent can fairly command spcecial attention.

Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote