Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
ahn
ahn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Burmese and Kindle 3?

Dear all,

Does anybody get Burmese displayed correctly on Kindle 3?

Currently I am trying to help some Bhikkhus (Buddhist Monks) to copy doc files to the device by sending email included attach files to Kindle email address and let Amazon convert them into their preferred format.

Latter on, I got the file on my Kindle, but seems that Kindle does not display Burmese correctly...

If it is possible, please share with us how to do that? Do we need to convert the DOC file to UTF8 or something else first?
Thanks a lot!
ahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
krypton
krypton began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Try converting to pdf files with embedded fonts. My kindle DXG displays pdf with Burmese fonts very well. I use pdf plug-in with MS Word and set large font size.
krypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle 3 displays the entire 'Myanmar' code table (U+1000 - U+109F) but not 'Mayanmar Extended-A' (U+AA60 - U+AA7F). As to whether it is 'correct', I would not know. To the extent Burmese script requires use of ligatures, 'composed' characters, or special layout rules (as I believe it does), Kindle may not do that properly.

I was able to convert the Wikipedia article for 'Burmese' and send it to my Kindle (using a neat Chrome extension called 'Send to Kindle'). Most everything displays (except for the aforementioned Extended-A characters), but I have nothing to compare it to as my browser won't display Burmese. So again, I don't know if it is okay.

Getting the encoding correct is essential, of course. Unfortunately, I can't help you with Word's options - I don't use it often enough to know how to control the encoding it uses. You might try sending .rtf for the conversion - with luck that is UTF-8, which should work.

Another option is to create a PDF from the .doc. That will probably require either making the font size larger, or (better) the page size smaller, so that it is readable when zoomed to fit-to-page mode. It won't reflow, but at least the correct text layout should result.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-62782.gif
Views:	195
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	66858  

Last edited by tomsem; 02-17-2011 at 06:57 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
stargazir
Enthusiast
stargazir has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
I have a Burmese cat. She likes to distract me while i'm using my Kindle.
stargazir is offline   Reply With Quote