Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Eh, what's in a name?

"Conservatory"?

I'm giving anyone and everyone permission to hijack this thread. You will anyway.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
from a dictionary I just made up, ummm, found...

Conservatory (noun) 1. a glass bit stuck on the side of a house to try and either get extra space, or make it look more grand, or both. Or possibly to try and get more for your house when you sell. Most of the time far too cold and inhospitable to actually use, apart from the brief period of hot weather in the summer week, when it becomes too unbearably hot and stuffy. 2. A little known movement to help stop the Conservatives (the more right wing of the two main UK political parties) sliding into obscurity. Name derived from conserve (conserving, conservation), and the old name for the Conservative party - Tory party.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I think most people in the UK will have this image associated with that word:

Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post

Conservatory (noun) 1. a glass bit stuck on the side of a house to try and either get extra space, or make it look more grand, or both. Or possibly to try and get more for your house when you sell. Most of the time far too cold and inhospitable to actually use, apart from the brief period of hot weather in the summer week, when it becomes too unbearably hot and stuffy. 2. A little known movement to help stop the Conservatives (the more right wing of the two main UK political parties) sliding into obscurity. Name derived from conserve (conserving, conservation), and the old name for the Conservative party - Tory party.
Am, I owe you a big debt of gratitude. It makes so much more sense now.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:

And there was me thinking it was a swindle that worked actively for the Conservative party....
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
And there was me thinking it was a swindle that worked actively for the Conservative party....
The rest of that page was torn out, so that might have been definition 3.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Also, a jam factory.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Wasn't it one of the rooms in Clue?? Miss Scarlett with the candlestick in the Conservatory??

Although, in the States, we more often call them greenhouses if they are not attached directly to the house and sun rooms when they are.

Conservatory sounds ever so much more grand.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Also, a jam factory.
Are the mice plotting again, Mrs Badcrumble?
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
Seabound
Steerage Class

So if I feel like singing or sprouting roots am I in the wrong forum?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #11
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Although, in the States, we more often call them greenhouses if they are not attached directly to the house and sun rooms when they are.
There's a house just along from me that has a large conservatory, two sheds and a small greenhouse. The garden is about 15' wide and 70' long - but now all the buildings are up, there isn't actually much of it left, certainly not enough to suggest they need two sheds and a greenhouse. Especially as the vast majority of what's now left has been paved...
Old 04-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Wasn't it one of the rooms in Clue?? Miss Scarlett with the candlestick in the Conservatory??
Yeah, I was always under the impression that it's a place where you kill the butler or something.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I remain truly puzzled at the idea of using this term for a forum room for threads not directly related to ebooks and devices and with limited humor. When you say conservatory I immediately think of schools of music like the Boston Conservatory or Oberlin College. After that I think of the greenhouse-like rooms. I don't at all see how it is an appropriate name for anything at MobileRead. But it doesn't bother me what it's called. Call it Fred, if you like.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #14
Seabound
Steerage Class

How about "banana"?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #15
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I remain truly puzzled at the idea of using this term for a forum room for threads not directly related to ebooks and devices and with limited humor. When you say conservatory I immediately think of schools of music like the Boston Conservatory or Oberlin College. After that I think of the greenhouse-like rooms. I don't at all see how it is an appropriate name for anything at MobileRead. But it doesn't bother me what it's called. Call it Fred, if you like.
I do say! Let's pop on over to Fred and have a serious discussion on the Futures of Pork Bellies!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote