Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
odin500
odin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to beholdodin500 is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Touch will not recognize micro SD

My kobo touch (mark 3) will not process any books I put on the micro SD card.
No Micro SD card books appear in the library. The only books that show up are the ones in the main memory.
Micro SD card books show up on Shelves as [title] and no author.
I have tried multiple firmware 2.5,2.61,2.81 all with the same result.
Sometimes a message in black comes up saying I have to format the card to FAT32;
I have done this using a SD card formatting tool. I've also run a scandisk on the card and no errors have been found.
Any help much appreciated.
odin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Have you tried a different card?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
With my Touch, I frequently see the not formatted error when I insert the card. Usually, it gets recognized anyway. Sometimes, it means I didn't insert it properly and need to eject it and put it back in.

Also, there is a problem with the recent firmware versions that the original Touch doesn't see the SD card when it boots. You need to insert it while the device is on. That might be part of what you are seeing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #4
GOROW
GOROW is a marvel to beholdGOROW is a marvel to beholdGOROW is a marvel to beholdGOROW is a marvel to beholdGOROW is a marvel to beholdGOROW is a marvel to beholdGOROW is a marvel to beholdGOROW is a marvel to beholdGOROW is a marvel to beholdGOROW is a marvel to beholdGOROW is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo touch
I formatted mine (32´GB) using Win7 format. It works.
GOROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin500 View Post
No Micro SD card books appear in the library. The only books that show up are the ones in the main memory.
This seems to be a special Kobo touch issue; I already reported it here, and all I tried was useless (new formatting of the SD card, trying a different SD card ...). The problems comes and vanishes from time to time. My impression is that it comes more frequently, if there is a book (on main memory or SD card) with more "ambitious" formatting in it (such as graphics etc.). The more simple the format is, the less problems it seems to show (though I'm still not sure). There are days when there is no problem at all, and days when I am scarcely able to switch a page without occuring this "you have ejected the SD card ..." or "SD card not formatted in FAT 32". I put all my hopes on the next firmware update (my current fw. is 2.5.2).

That's not really helping, but you should know you're not alone.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Has anyone with this issue tried manually updating to 2.8.1(last one for the Glo, I think) firmware to see if it alleviates the problem? I have it running on my Touch, but don't use an SDHC card in it. I'm not sure it runs on all models of the Touch, but it works fine on my N905B.

Just a possibility.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #7
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
In my case, problems began with the automatic update to fw. 2.6.1 by Kobo. Later, a sync with the Kobo Desktop brought me back to 2.5.2, but the difficulties with the uSD card remained.

At present, the reader sort of calmed down; problems appear not so frequently.

My model is N905 (the older one), and I don't know if it's recommendable to update this one to 2.8.1. Anyway, as long as there are not so many problems, I prefer avoiding any changes that could cause still more trouble.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #9
Zapask
Zapask began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
FAT32 format only - 16 kb
Zapask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #10
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Originally Posted by odin500 View Post
I have One Mark 3 Touch that will only function with a MSD card on firmware 2.4.0b.
I have another Mark 3 touch that will only function with a MSD card on firmware 2.5.1.

Going with a higher firmware on either Touch results in the MSD card not being recognized. Both of the above are after a factory reset and side loading the firmware.

This is a long standing problem that Kobo declines to fix.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:29 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconh View Post
I have One Mark 3 Touch that will only function with a MSD card on firmware 2.4.0b.
I have another Mark 3 touch that will only function with a MSD card on firmware 2.5.1.

Going with a higher firmware on either Touch results in the MSD card not being recognized. Both of the above are after a factory reset and side loading the firmware.

This is a long standing problem that Kobo declines to fix.
As I stated above, for my Mark 3 Touch, if I insert the card when the Touch is running, the card is seen and processed correctly. This is with all recent firmware versions including the current beta. Does this not work with your devices?
Old 10-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #12
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As I stated above, for my Mark 3 Touch, if I insert the card when the Touch is running, the card is seen and processed correctly. This is with all recent firmware versions including the current beta. Does this not work with your devices?
Yes it does, but not consistently. That is not acceptable. I should not have to be constantly reinserting the MSD card when the unit is turned off and on. How can any company go through a further eight firmware updates and NOT fix the problem. MSD cards did and do work with all firmwares up to 2.4.0b. On my Touches I have reverted to the firmwares that work. This must also be exasperating for a lot of other Kobo Touch users.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Personally, it doesn't worry me. During normal use, I never turn my Kobo devices off. They go to sleep to save power, but do not power off. I also rarely remove the SD card. Effectively, that would mean I need to eject and insert the card each time there was a factory reset.

Of course, I probably shouldn't say say "normal use". My normal use for the Touch is testing the beta firmware. This does mean I power it off a lot more than I did when it was my primary reading device. Especially as one of the first tests I do is to see if this bug is fixed. But, when I am not specifically testing something that needs a power off, I never turn either the Glo or Touch off. The rest of my family are also use Kobo devices. I don't think they even know how to turn them off.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:29 AM   #14
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Seem to be having problems with the Micro SD card in my new Kobo Touch, just doesn't recognise it at all. Is there a definite specification about the type/size/format? Kobo's site is very vague. Have tried some of the ideas in previous post - insert card while unit is on, off, etc etc but I am reluctant to go and buy yet another card until I can find what type actually might work.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, kobo touch