Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #2011
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissors View Post
- - - -
None left as I have to reset,
so assuming backup image is used to overwrite?
- - - -
That is guaranteed to turn everything to crap.

What part of Mobileread add-ins do you think was included in the 'factory defaults' of "Reset (to factory defaults)" ?

No - it does nothing to the installed image - it does not re-install from a backup copy.
But it does wipe everything in /var/local and /mnt/us (both user storage areas).

Now that you have done the reset -
Start over, just as if you had never touched the Kindle before by reinstalling the jailbreak (you wiped important parts of it).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #2012
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1: Whee, managed to miss that, nice catch.

@MorasKillermo: Just caught your edit. Try starting from scratch (ie. first restart your device, then uninstall the hack, remove the linkss folder, and finally reinstall the hack) without trying to put your own custom stuff until you've confirmed the basics work as expected.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #2013
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@scissors: Next try *reading* the MRPI post.

(Spoiler: We don't use "Update Your Kindle" anymore).

The OTA daemon is known to sometimes go AWOL on some FW versions, that might be the reason behind your black screen. Good thing we don't need it anymore.
Hi NiLuJe

thankyou. I couldn't find a MRPI posting to read, but your reply was enough to give me a clue on how to go about things.
It would be nice if a summary of the steps was added somewhere (possibly there already is).

along the lines of..

Steps for installing hacks

1)jailbreak
2)kindlelet pack (if required)
3)KuaL
4)Mr Installer
5)copy packages to install
6)run kual, select MR installer,

Anyway, I got the screensaver running and from there even reinstalled the collections manager.

so, again thankyou and a thankyou to the guys who created the hacks and the excellent KUAL
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #2014
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scissors View Post
- - - -
I couldn't find a MRPI posting to read,
- - - -
? ? ? ?
Go to (the link I gave you, the link you quoted):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

Scroll down the listing to the MR Package Installer entry -
Eyeball scan that entry line - see the last field: "MRPI" ?
Click that, and end up at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251143
Old 05-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #2015
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
? ? ? ?
Go to (the link I gave you, the link you quoted):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

Scroll down the listing to the MR Package Installer entry -
Eyeball scan that entry line - see the last field: "MRPI" ?
Click that, and end up at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=251143
Would you believe i did a search in the page for MRPI and the way chrome highlighted it, i didn't realise it was a weblink.

dooohhh. anyway. thanks. as i said, i am sorted (thick too)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	148851  
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #2016
knc1
Going Viral

Paper, Rock, Scissors
Old 05-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #2017
acornty
acornty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Hey everyone, I'm having some trouble getting my custom screensavers to work. I've installed the hack correctly(I get the image saying so when i lock my kindle) But when I put some images i want as screensavers into the folder, the kindle just shows me the last thing that was on my screen. I've checked everything about my pictures to make sure its all correct too(size @ 1072X1448, gray colorspace, 16 bit color) but it's still doing the same thing. I'm on a PW3 if that helps. Any ideas?
acornty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:47 PM   #2018
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@acornty: Usually a definite sign that the framework doesn't like your image.

Which tools did you use to process the image?
Old 05-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #2019
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornty View Post
- - - -
Any ideas?
FGA (Frequently Given Answers):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083
Old 05-22-2016, 04:39 PM   #2020
acornty

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
FGA (Frequently Given Answers):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083
Thanks! I didn't see that I'll try some of the things on there.
Quote:
@acornty: Usually a definite sign that the framework doesn't like your image.

Which tools did you use to process the image?
I used the latest Photoshop CC.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #2021
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Photoshop doing something the framework doesn't like vaguely rings a bell... Try with something else? (I've posted the ImageMagick settings I use a couple of times, for example).
Old 05-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #2022
acornty

Quote:
Photoshop doing something the framework doesn't like vaguely rings a bell... Try with something else? (I've posted the ImageMagick settings I use a couple of times, for example).
Yeah you're probably right. I've downloaded ImageMagick and ran your script, but then realized I don't have the kindle_colors.gif color table. I have a .act version, but IM doesn't like it.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #2023
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@acornty: here.

Remember you'll have to restart the framework to get things back in order.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:19 PM   #2024
acornty

Quote:
@acornty: here.

Remember you'll have to restart the framework to get things back in order.
Thank you NiLuJe! Conversion went well. I'll put it on my kindle later today and see if it works. Thanks for all your help!

edit: It works! Thank you so much!

Last edited by acornty; 05-23-2016 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:19 PM   #2025
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Photoshop doing something the framework doesn't like vaguely rings a bell...
I had an image processed with Photoshop that the framework didn't like It was one from several years ago - possibly some weird stuff going on with ICC profiles or something? Can't quite remember now. Reprocessing it from scratch with Photoshop CC fixed whatever the problem was. The really strange things was that other old converted images were displaying fine, and it was an issue with just this specific one on newer FW.

Last edited by Yolina; 05-22-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch