Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #1996
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
No warning across the bottom.
Can you do me a favor and post a picture of the home page?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #1997
MorasKillermo
MorasKillermo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
It is just as you say @Cinisajoy, I get that banner at the bottom of my home page.
MorasKillermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #1998
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorasKillermo View Post
It is just as you say @Cinisajoy, I get that banner at the bottom of my home page.
In that case, I can answer very quickly.
The Screensaver hack does not work on "special offers" kindles.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #1999
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
That's what I get for skipping the rules, lol...

Much better!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #2000
MorasKillermo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
In that case, I can answer very quickly.
The Screensaver hack does not work on "special offers" kindles.
W00t... really? Like... not at all? Isn't there a 'special' hack for 'special' offers?

Thanks, @Dr., I'll be more careful from now on
Advert
Old 05-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #2001
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
W00t... really? Like... not at all? Isn't there a 'special' hack for 'special' offers?

There is only one thing you can do.
Contact Amazon and ask them to remove the special offers. It may or may not cost you $20.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #2002
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

Yes there is -
Sign-on to your Amazon account, in manage devices, disable special offers and pay any fee requested.

As a matter of policy - this site attempts not to interfere with Amazon's revenue flow.

See that sticky thread with 'where do I start' in its title?
Click to the title post, read the first bright red sentence you find.

Last edited by knc1; 05-21-2016 at 03:52 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:02 PM   #2003
MorasKillermo

The weird part is that according to Amazon's guide I should be able to unsuscribe by accessing my account, clicking on my device on the devices tab and editing my preferences to disable the service, just as @knc1 says, but even when I do so I can't see any information about the (not so) special offers service being enabled

EDIT: Found out that I have to introduce a valid U.S. billing address to unsuscribe successfuly, and I don't have any U.S. credit or debit card, so I'll have to ask a friend to help me out with that. Thanks everyone. Hope everything works after I remove the 'special offers' stuff

Last edited by MorasKillermo; 05-21-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #2004
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That's tricky because it also used to be part of the default rotation (not sure if it still is)... But it's also the fallback SO screensaver (except there's usually a nag near the bottom telling you to connect NOW).

Does it ever cycle to something else?

EDIT: Yay, missed a page switch again! .
If you're outside of the US, try to contact Kindle CS, they've been known to feel generous about SO devices wandering outside the US (... or any other SO-enabled location) .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #2005
MorasKillermo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If you're outside of the US, try to contact Kindle CS, they've been known to feel generous about SO devices wandering outside the US (... or any other SO-enabled location) .
Thank you so much for your advice I just contacted CS asking if there might be any chance of using another payment method or something

EDIT: Alright, Amazon has some seriously great customer service. They disabled the special offers from my PW for free just a few hours after I contacted them. Those are the good news... but on the other hand, I still haven't sorted out what am I lacking here. I have only 1 image within the screensavers dir and it's a 1024*758 8-bit greyscale png file.

Last edited by MorasKillermo; 05-21-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:00 AM   #2006
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
struggling to re-install screensaver hack

Hi guys
apologies in advance, i may have asked this question a month or so ago.
Re attempting to put the covers screensaver hack on a touch fw 5.3.7.3

Installed jailbreak, got ** jailbreak ** message.
copied Update_python_0.14.N_install_touch_pw.bin to root
main settings update etc on kindle
screen immediately goes black.
i leave it for several minutes.
main power on switch does quick green light, then nothing.
have to resorts to holding power switch down to reset device.

any help appreciated.
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #2007
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scissors View Post
Hi guys
apologies in advance, i may have asked this question a month or so ago.
Re attempting to put the covers screensaver hack on a touch fw 5.3.7.3

Installed jailbreak, got ** jailbreak ** message.
copied Update_python_0.14.N_install_touch_pw.bin to root
main settings update etc on kindle
screen immediately goes black.
i leave it for several minutes.
main power on switch does quick green light, then nothing.
have to resorts to holding power switch down to reset device.

any help appreciated.
What do you mean by: "to root" ?

Do you mean to the highest level of **visible** USB mass storage?
Or do you mean to the actual root (/) of the internal file system?
If #2, remove it, now.

Then -
Remove any packages with the update_*.bin filename pattern from the highest level of USB mass storage.

For all packages, your first choice source is:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

Next -
Install KUAL
Install MrPi
Then use MrPI to install any additional update_*.bin packages.
Note: Unlike the old UYK method, MrPI can install multiple update_*.bin files at a time.

Last edited by knc1; 05-22-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #2008
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
- - - -
EDIT: Yay, missed a page switch again! .
- - - -
Go to your "User CP" (control panel) -
Set number of posts to display per page to max (40 IIRC) -
then there are fewer 'prior pages' for things to hide in.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:58 AM   #2009
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
Hi Knc1, thanks for the quick responce
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What do you mean by: "to root" ?

Do you mean to the highest level of **visible** USB mass storage?
Or do you mean to the actual root (/) of the internal file system?
If #2, remove it, now.
In windows, the visible USB mass storage (drive E)

Quote:
Then -
Remove any packages with the update_*.bin filename pattern from the highest level of USB mass storage.
None left as I have to reset, so assuming backup image is used to overwrite?
Quote:
For all packages, your first choice source is:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

Next -
Install KUAL
Install MrPi
Then use MrPI to install any additional update_*.bin packages.
Note: Unlike the old UYK method, MrPI can install multiple update_*.bin files at a time.
downloaded from where you recommended. again, selected update kindle, confirm then screen goes black and sit there.
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #2010
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@scissors: Next try *reading* the MRPI post.

(Spoiler: We don't use "Update Your Kindle" anymore).

The OTA daemon is known to sometimes go AWOL on some FW versions, that might be the reason behind your black screen. Good thing we don't need it anymore.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch