Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2016, 12:24 PM   #1981
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What firmware version?
If 5.6.x or 5.7.x you must use MrPI to install packages.
The update button will always be grayed out in the above case.

You can not, and never have been able to, install our signed packages with a re-boot (that leads you to an installer that we don't support).

How about some details beyond: "application can not be started"
Like in, what application?

Last edited by knc1; 05-12-2016 at 12:27 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #1982
Ceronomus
Ceronomus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What firmware version?
If 5.6.x or 5.7.x you must use MrPI to install packages.
The update button will always be grayed out in the above case.

You can not, and never have been able to, install our signed packages with a re-boot (that leads you to an installer that we don't support).

How about some details beyond: "application can not be started"
Like in, what application?
"application can not be started" is the literal error message and then the Kindle would hang up and not boot. It eventually cleared and we are back to square one. I *think* I understand where things went wrong. He is using 5.6.x

It went downhill with the greyed out update button and not having read the FAQ first. I won't make that mistake again.
Ceronomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #1983
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceronomus View Post
"application can not be started" is the literal error message and then the Kindle would hang up and not boot. It eventually cleared and we are back to square one. I *think* I understand where things went wrong. He is using 5.6.x

It went downhill with the greyed out update button and not having read the FAQ first. I won't make that mistake again.
Which application?
KUAL?
MrPI?
Something else?

Even having the name of what results in the message would help.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #1984
tuan8927
tuan8927 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Hello, can I do this with my kindle wp3 5.7.4.1 non-jailbreak?
tuan8927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #1985
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuan8927 View Post
Hello, can I do this with my kindle wp3 5.7.4.1 non-jailbreak?
No - a jailbreak is required.
Advert
Old 05-21-2016, 05:40 AM   #1986
MorasKillermo
MorasKillermo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Hello everyone!

I've been following the instructions here but still I haven't succeeded. First of all, I have a PW1, which was running 5.6.1.1.

I had it downgraded to 5.3.3 and followed all the steps here. Got it jailbroken easily, installed python and linkss, but then I couldn't set a custom screensaver (all of my images are correctly formatted).

Then I read elsewhere that no custom screensaver can be set on firmware 5.3.3, so I upgraded to 5.3.5 and followed the steps once again... but I just still can't see my own wallpapers on my screen, which now flashes like crazy whenever I plug it to my PC

I think I totally messed something out here, and I'd really appreciate to get some help...

Thanks in advance!
MorasKillermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #1987
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@MorasKillermo: What *do* you see when the device's asleep?

AFAIR, there are approximately zero issues with screensavers and early FW.
You might be mixing stuff up with the fonts stuff...
Or Special Offers, which will prevent this from working, not matter the FW.

As for the flashing, sounds maybe like a bad cable?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #1988
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
- - - -
As for the flashing, sounds maybe like a bad cable?
Or something specific to what the cable is being plugged into.

Context please:
Hardware, OS, OS version at a bare minimum.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #1989
MorasKillermo

The cable has been giving me problems recently, so that may be the actual reason for the flashing. As for the special offers I also read about that but didn't catch exactly what it is... is it some built-in 'feature' that's only available in some devices? Or maybe just the option through which you can get books and stuff recommendations while being in sleep mode? Right now whenever my screen is locked I can only see the default PW screensaver.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #1990
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And therein lies the rub. Describe what you think is "the defaut PW screensaver".
Old 05-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #1991
MorasKillermo

The one that's always been there whenever my 'recommendations' switch is off.

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-21-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #1992
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #1993
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I got there too late, but your "the only one" comment makes me think that this is indeed a Special Offers device.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-21-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #1994
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I got there too late, but your "the only one" makes me think that this is indeed a Special Offers device.
I got that screen the other day after my K5 had gone dead. Yes, it is a special offers and also said please connect to wifi to get the latest offers.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #1995
MorasKillermo

That's what I get for skipping the rules, lol...

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch